Large Rudder gudgeons for E10.5 spare rudder

B00B00

In have a friend up in New Caledonia who owns the Elliott 10.5 XLR8 (sistership to pork chop). He is looking for rudder gudgeons for his emergency rudder for the groupama race. They all have to have a spare transom hung rudder for the race as they have had quite a few broken rudders in this race.

Does anyone know where you can get stock gudgeons for this size of boat?

See email below.

Hi guys,

For the Groupama race, we must have a second rudder (a safety rudder) if the major one break.

I’m looking to transform a Laser drift on rudder.

I’m looking for some gudgeon and pintle to install on the drift and on the back of Xlr8.

(like all the boat who came of the Sail Noumea)

We didn’t find gudgeon and pintle here, so do you know where I can find them in NZ ?

I take a look on a the Foster’s web site but it don’t think it’s the good size …

Thank you for your help

Cheers

Dudune

I went through this before rnz.

I use a 12ft centreboard modified as my spare as I thought if my rudder breaks I wont be "racing just getting home safe". The small area of the blade meant the gudgeons also didn't need to be as strong etc as what is there now.

Couldn't find anything close to strong enough that was a standard part.

Good luck and if you do find something can you post where and what.

Hi Booboo

I have two gudgeons in the shed. If you’re interested, I’ll get a photo but quickly, they’re about 4mm stainless built to house a blade approx 60mm in width. They’re drilled to a 12mm pin but have brass bushes that could easily be over drilled. Any good?

Thanks Rhys, I will pass that info onto him or just give him the link to this thread and see if he wants them. Do you just have the gudgeons or pintles as well?

Sounds pretty good though.

Booboo, If Rhys's aren't suitable tell Dundune to try and get some S/S U or C channel and get a long pin that goes through both. If he's not sure get him to email me.

Archived