Water tank options

Fogg

Leaving the boat for a while (6 months) I'll obviously top the diesel right up to minimise condensation over the winter. But what's the best thing to do with the water tanks - leave them full or empty?

if you leave it empty without doing anything else you may well end up with condensation forming and slime developing in the tank.

I would recommend either:

1- empty and clean it out - have tanks completely open - that is any inspection ports open to allow fresh air to circulate so that tank stays dry and does not develop a moist / humid environment.

2- fill it up and dose it, I think Wheels mentioned something that was available that could be used for cleaning a tank, that might be suitable - as long as prolonged exposure to the tank is not going to cause problems with the tank material

Anyone else have suggestions

If the Tank is dark, it won't grow anything. Algae has to have light to grow. You can leave full or empty or anywhere in between. If you want, you can dose with a little Chlorine. It doesn't take much. I am not sure i would lean the direction of opening the tank to the air. You will get insects and spiders and dust in there.

Yep, we picked up a boat that had been in storage for 12 months, SS tanks closed and half full. The water was still drinkable, but we pumped it out anyway, refilled, added about a cap ful of bleach to 100 gals, and went sailing.

have had slime in a tank that was 'dark', it was left drained but still ended up with a slime that tainted the water - opened the tank and found the sides coated with it after finding the water tainted (yes we did check the water going into it before refilling) :? maybe the old water that had been drained left something in the tank?

Sounds like the best approach is leave them full and then when I get back drain them and refill again. I'm told there is sufficienct chlorine in the Gulf Harbour marina tap water to keep it good for 12 months.

I think you'll be fine AC. When AA was outta the H2o for 8 months the water in the tank didn't go off or taste any different to before. She'll be right!

Archived