ETNZ AC72 Sailing

Is it my limited perspective or...I think the cats will mostly be about drag racing. .

Its your limited perspective.

In the RNZYS w/l racing on the weekend we had three 8.5 multihulls finish within 8 seconds, is that drag racing?

also the AC45s and the extreme 40s have Very close racing.

The closeness of the 8.5s gives hope!

But the rest are all one-design...

If these new boats are within 5% of each other, all the design teams will have achieved pretty close to perfection for current understandings.

5% at 30 kts is borderline a drag race, and the closeness of the 45s shows that all the crews are up for it.

In the RNZYS w/l racing on the weekend we had three 8.5 multihulls finish within 8 seconds, is that drag racing?

Is that common?

Not uncommon on the short courses.

There have been some very close finishes in the recent BMW regattas as well(where we get big fleets).

Down to 3 boats in about 3 to 5 seconds in one race I recall (rental, voom, lucifer)

From last weekend:

Race 1

1st 0

2nd +38 seconds

3rd + 13 seconds

Race 2

1st 0

2nd +04 seconds

3rd + 04 seconds

Race 3

1st 0

2nd +47 seconds

3rd + 3 seconds

Don't mean to rain on you parade guys but close finishes don't necessarily mean its not a drag race.

You don't see the AC45's tacking before the boundary to often.

The boat with the best start and first to the first mark usually ends up the winner. Not to say tactics don't come into play but certainly a lot less than the previous generation of Cup boats.

Don't mean to rain on you parade guys but close finishes don't necessarily mean its not a drag race.

The boat with the best start and first to the first mark usually ends up the winner. Not to say tactics don't come into play but certainly a lot less than the previous generation of Cup boats.

I reckon that is a big old load of crap.

I have seen a number of AC45 races both Fleet and Match where the lead has changed multiple times. I would have thought there were more lead changes in the current AC45 format than there ever was in the past.

I reckon that is a big old load of crap.

I have seen a number of AC45 races both Fleet and Match where the lead has changed multiple times. I would have thought there were more lead changes in the current AC45 format than there ever was in the past.

Had this discussion with a mad pom in UK

Its all relative. A fast multi might tack less due to it tacking slower and traveling faster across and around the course but that also means that tacks are more critical and a mistake (tactics or poor tack) is punished more due to the speed travelled. Also if two class cats are straight lining and one tweak makes one boat gain a 2% Advantage it is the same relative to two class monos strait lining and one makes a 2% tweak.

There is no difference other than the elapsed time and excitement factor depending on your choice of yacht racing.

I like the slow mono close quarter tacking duels as much as the fast pace multi racing.

Also multi's look like they are not "close racing" but in reality a 3 second lead in a multi is three times the distance than a mono but it is still 3 seconds.

Hope that makes sense.

So does any one know if the L shaped foils are the real deal or just a scam? Both ETNZs 72 and orcals 45s have pics of them but I have read somewhere that is is just photoshop?

Any more info is greatly appretiated. :thumbup:

So does any one know if the L shaped foils are the real deal or just a scam? Both ETNZs 72 and orcals 45s have pics of them but I have read somewhere that is is just photoshop?

Any more info is greatly appretiated. :thumbup:

I want to get out and see the SL33s in action to see if a rumor I have heard from a kite border is true now that the main team are in the USA for the ACWS. They reckon that they have seen the 33s fully foiling when they have been out boarding..... Now how to get out and see if its a lie or not :think:

I think it's amazing just how few sailing pictures there are of the SL33's. ETNZ has done well to keep them under the radar. They're much more important to the program than the 45's I would have said that foiling SL33's was old news by now.

Archived