The fight over Takapuna Beach continues

You think you're going to be able to swing a large chuck of Taka beach off the locals so it can be used by 150 rich pricks? Good luck with that plan :lol:

Clearly you haven't read what I said. The whole area would be public.

Dinghy sailing is poor mans sailing. Where on earth did you get the idea you needed to be rich? Once you can sail, sure, then you can go sailing with rich men who need crew!

Those schools, or the vast majority, already have boats at their disposal (and get used a LOT) and storage on the waters edge.

Oh really? Please share the schools and where you are referring to. The schools I talk to say its a frustration as few boat clubs have storage for dinghies and those around Takapuna have nada!

Wouldn't it make more sense on every point for the YNZ horde to move in with one of those?

Clearly you haven't read what I said. I wasn't that interested in YNZ. My focus was storage for sailing dinghies that encourages the sailors - mainly kids & teenagers - to sail as much as they can.

Dinghy sailing is poor mans sailing. Where on earth did you get the idea you needed to be rich? Once you can sail, sure, then you can go sailing with rich men who need crew!

Looked at the price of a second hand opti lately, which is the starting point for kids now? Not much change from 2 grand for a setup if you don't want your kid to start off on the wrong foot, 4 grand plus to be competitive. That's way beyond what the average family can afford.

Oh really? Please share the schools and where you are referring to. The schools I talk to say its a frustration as few boat clubs have storage for dinghies and those around Takapuna have nada!

All the North Shore schools have access to the Waterwise programme which have boats on the beach at Murrays Bay, Lake Pupuke and Wakatere. Murrays bay and Wakatere have private lockers too. St Joseph's actually go up to Murrays Bay, Takapuna Intermediate use Pupuke. I'm sure Takapuna primary could get to Pupuke and Taka Grammar to Wakatere if they don't already.

Bum, quoting issues.

After where you said 'need crew' insert - So the public who can currently walk on sand will, should your idea come to past, be able to walk over private boats many perceive to be owned by rich pricks, be they on public land or knot, owned by rich pricks or knot? Can't see that happening and can see many Rangi Public just seeing 'boats on my beach...Grrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!'.

After where you said 'what schools are you refering to ....have nada' insert- Forty North Shore schools have the total uninterrupted use of many sail craft and other craft at least once a week every every week of the year. I can name them all if you like. Those craft live within meters of the water now. Taka Primary uses Pupuke also. Taka Grammer has Bayswater.

Right at the end insert - Isn't this thread about YNZ wanting to take ultra-prime public land for use by a small select few and offices?

Hey I don't think your idea is crap and in fact see it as a far smarter option than the one in question but I don't see the location for either plan as good or the smartest use of the land.

this opti could be had for $500

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-m ... 910180.htm

why would you splash out $2000 to put your kid's toe in the water

Yep, as it says a good learner/starter boat, however there aren't many wooden ones used even in green fleet these days. Depends what the motivation for getting involved was, my comment was with a view to being semi-competitive.

Regardless it's not cheap overall when adding in subs, storage locker fees and/or trailer for transport, sailing gear etc.

All the North Shore schools have access to the Waterwise programme which have boats on the beach at Murrays Bay, Lake Pupuke and Wakatere. Murrays bay and Wakatere have private lockers too. St Joseph's actually go up to Murrays Bay, Takapuna Intermediate use Pupuke. I'm sure Takapuna primary could get to Pupuke and Taka Grammar to Wakatere if they don't already.

Waterwise is a voluntary program for primary and intermediate. High schools are on their own. Waterwise sailing is limited to Optimists.

So where do the high school kids sail? Answer they don't! Its all up to parents.

And yet the high scihools have rugby, hockey, etc practice at schools on their fields. They can because they have fields which they can assemble on in 10 minutes. Can you do this sailing dinghies? Nope. If they're not on the beach or very near by you need hours.

NZ schools are just not set up to grow the youth sailing scene.

Waterwise is a voluntary program for primary and intermediate. High schools are on their own. Waterwise sailing is limited to Optimists.

So where do the high school kids sail? Answer they don't! Its all up to parents.

And yet the high scihools have rugby, hockey, etc practice at schools on their fields. They can because they have fields which they can assemble on in 10 minutes. Can you do this sailing dinghies? Nope. If they're not on the beach or very near by you need hours.

NZ schools are just not set up to grow the youth sailing scene.

I know Westlake Boys has a good sailing programme with boats and travel the country competing against other schools. No first hand experience of other North Shore secondary schools.

http://www.allteams.co.nz/westlake-boys-sport/sailing/

Looked at the price of a second hand opti lately, which is the starting point for kids now? Not much change from 2 grand for a setup if you don't want your kid to start off on the wrong foot, 4 grand plus to be competitive. That's way beyond what the average family can afford.

Sorry OYSTR, you sound like the very privileged few you appear to despise.

A quick scan through trademe and there are plenty of "starter" sailing dinghies under $500.00. Kids should start on old, tired dinghies and learn to look after them, repair them and sail them well.

Hell, I did and so did most of the big NZ sailing names. When they got better - they got better boats. One of the big names I sailed with used to work his weekends in the winter so he could upgrade bits of his boat for summer. His granddad used to drive him around Auckland to race at different clubs when there were events on. When his granddad became sick - the father of his arch-nemesis and training partner upgraded his sons trailer to a tandem and used to take both boats. That's a club for you. And clubs need new entrants.

Where there's a will - there's always a way. Such skills are life skills. We should teach these to our kids.

On two person dinghies the scenario changes. Three potential sources of finance - 1) two sets of parents, 2) two kids funding themselves and 3) one dedicated parent sharing with the less well off. I was in the send group. Most other the others I sailed with were either in groups 1 or 3.

Dinghy sailing need not be that expensive. But without the facilities - it will be. If you can't leave your dinghy near the water ... you need a car, road trailer, registrations, petrol money, etc. ... and time! ... Yes it costs then. .... And all because the short sighted don't put dinghy storage facilities where they need to be.

Quite sad really. Objectors should be ashamed of themselves! :(

Sorry OYSTR, you sound like the very privileged few you appear to despise.

Not sure where you get the idea that I despise anyone from. I'm just saying the reality is it costs these days.

I too sailed an old wooden Sabot out of Wakatere as a kid, and did all the work on it myself. I also rode my bike from Forrest Hill to Narrow Neck and back again after a days sailing. However I wouldn't send a 9 year old out on the roads like that these days, because things have changed, and the reality is sailing dinghies have changed as well.

Anyway, those yacht storage facilities are still there at Wakatere, and I bet there is room for more there and at other existing sailing clubs if the funding was channeled that way.

Anyway, those yacht storage facilities are still there at Wakatere, and I bet there is room for more there and at other existing sailing clubs if the funding was channeled that way.

When I asked at Takapuna BC - there are none. When I asked at Milford BC - there are none.

When I asked at WBC - there were full, weren't sure if a 5m dinghy would fit and I'd be put on a waiting list which I'd be on for some time. When I asked at Murray's BSC - there were full and the waiting list long.

Your assertion that they'd be more facilities with more money I'd question as regards existing clubs.

Both WBC and Murrays BSC are on small bays where beach space is at premium when things get busy in summer as bathers and strollers need access too. High tides are a nightmare BTW. And parking is at a premium. Not really big enough for big regattas. Milford could be developed as there's space. But Takapuna could be too. And Takapuna has better non-sailing and sailing facilities near-by.

Sorry OYSTR, you'll need to keep throwing up more (un-researched?) reasons for why its all wrong before I'll be convinced.

One way or another - there is a great opportunity for Auckland here - watch Aucklanders stuff this one up too with pettiness and myopic vision... :(

Seen the news flash on this?

It's been decided that the camping ground will go and be replaced with facilities missing from the North Shore that the teams with the best chances and history of medal winning can use. The design committee is still totally baffled as to just how they are going to fit a Equestrian track into the middle of the athletic stadium without leaving the rowers no where to practice or leaving anyone prone to being whacked on the scone when Valeria Adams is practising.

• Upvote 1

When I asked at Takapuna BC - there are none. When I asked at Milford BC - there are none.

When I asked at WBC - there were full, weren't sure if a 5m dinghy would fit and I'd be put on a waiting list which I'd be on for some time. When I asked at Murray's BSC - there were full and the waiting list long.

Your assertion that they'd be more facilities with more money I'd question as regards existing clubs.

Both WBC and Murrays BSC are on small bays where beach space is at premium when things get busy in summer as bathers and strollers need access too. High tides are a nightmare BTW. And parking is at a premium. Not really big enough for big regattas. Milford could be developed as there's space. But Takapuna could be too. And Takapuna has better non-sailing and sailing facilities near-by.

Sorry OYSTR, you'll need to keep throwing up more (un-researched?) reasons for why its all wrong before I'll be convinced.

One way or another - there is a great opportunity for Auckland here - watch Aucklanders stuff this one up too with pettiness and myopic vision... :(

The storage of privately owned boats on publicly owned premium waterfront sites will only get more difficult. The Unitary Plan will aggravate this. This however a third way Sailing Academys have been established at a number of clubs, BBYC and RAYC being active examples where sailing from Optimists to Keelboats is offered. This is "pay to sail", turnup with your sailing clothes and everything else from life jackets to coaching is provided. This approach of fewer boats but many users is an approach Local and Regional Government can live with and indeed may endorse. Such an approach is very common in other countries especially in Europe and the UK where these pressures for land use have existed for a very long time. The days of buying a cheapie and getting into sailing while leaving it stored at little cost on coastal real estate in Auckland City are drawing to a close, much as we may all regret it.

I'm more worried about the bad image it gives boaties. We are already seen as being rich pricks. Having said that YNZ has no place on the site.

Then there is this blasting all over the radio this morning. Ummmmmm how can the Westhaven Users Group charge for something they don't own? The impression on the radio is that the rich prick boaties are standing in the way of families wanting to cross the bridge on their bikes. Whatever the truth, there goes any sympathy we may have had.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/local-news/north-shore-times/8777157/Fee-threatens-path-feasibility

The person who wrote that article could have saved an enormous amount of effort and ink and just written "I don't have a clue what's going on and I can't be bothered finding out".

Not sure about your Murray's Bay source there. Over winter there are heaps of spaces at the club. Every year I have stored my son's boat there without issue, and his Starling is down there now.. I would think Wakatere has space too. They have a lot of storage.

Balgarion, I objected to the Council's idea for YNZ. I am not small minded, love sailing and have a son sailing. I just think that the campground is a unique slice of NZ not available in many major cities, and should be preserved.

Takapuna has hosted many world champs without issue including the Laser and 470 worlds. They had no problems. The ramp is fine for support RIBs and the beach is great for the yachts. Personally I would like to see the ramp and carpark extended with a floating dock, as it gets extremely high use from fishos and yachties alike. That plan was proposed some years ago, but was shot down by Greenies and because of the stupid petrified forest thing..

Removing the campsite, used by Tourists and the public alike and admired the world over, to install YNZ storage and offices would be a travesty. Apparently I am not the only one who thinks like that. Strange huh??

Pretty well sums it up Smithy. Like you I love sailing, also belong to the Takapuna Boating Club, and yet think this whole scheme is the worst ill considered thing they could do.

Camp ground it fantastic, and fast becoming unique in todays NZ.