The fight over Takapuna Beach continues

And about to start in Milford. The twat Lenny has decided Milford is an ideal spot for high rise high density housing. It's pretty damn obvious Lenny hasn't ventured this side of the harbour bridge as if that happened it would mean 1000's more trying to get thru the most densely trafficked area on the shore. There is a massive jamb point now and I can't see anyway they can remove that hardly let alone easily. All those 1000's of new residents have only 2 already busy roads to use to get into or out of Milford.

Interesting to see Forman and the other neighbour saying cann the Marine Centre as it'll only mean trailer carparking on the beach front. The Marine centre is slated to be built on top of a fecking carpark on the beach front, one that's been there forever already. I think this is a case of NIMBY more than much else.

Dunno mbike, the biggest waste of money for me is the footbridge they are putting over the motorway from the happy clapper carpark to the boatpark at Westhaven. This has been years in construction & if you walk 50m further you could just cross at the lights anyway.

You mean this $7.9 million dollar monumental f*ck up?

The new pedestrian overbridge at Westhaven, the extension of Jacob's Ladder, seems to be taking a long time to complete. Is there an opening date for this? Maureen Sinton, Freemans Bay.

There was, and then there wasn't.

The bridge across the motorway was to have opened last September but hairline cracks have appeared on 10 of 206 acrylic panels fixed to the $7.9 million structure.

The Herald reported in May that the Transport Agency was considering whether to attach temporary screens to the structure, so it could be used before a permanent solution was found.

The agency says tests have satisfied it that the 10 lanes of traffic passing underneath are in no danger from faulty panels.

But it can't say when the bridge can be completed because the cause of the cracks has not been found and it does not know how that may affect the structure in the long term.

The panels were made in the United States and patterned acrylic film, which would give the bridge a distinctive Maori fishing net appearance, was made in Europe.

The problem seems to be how well these two elements adhere together.

You mean this $7.9 million dollar monumental f*ck up?

The panels were made in the United States and patterned acrylic film, which would give the bridge a distinctive Maori fishing net appearance, was made in Europe.

The problem seems to be how well these two elements adhere together.

Clearly no NZ firm could have come up with something that would meet the apparently-low standard? I thought we were past the era when we looked to other countries to tell us what was new and exciting.

I disagree with the marine centre at Taka entirely. I reckon the motorcamp there is a gem. It is classic Kiwiana and loved by all. The Taka boating club has heaps of space and there is enough space there for massive regattas. Don't bother with it..

I heard there were issues with the original Takapuna site due to a telecom fibre cable running through the middle on its way to the states, but parking would always be an issue there anyway. They could always have it at Okahu Bay, there is a heap more parking available. They could come to a deal with the skiffs & put up a flash new building. I understand there has been approval given for a crane & thus disabled sailing could be catered for.

I disagree with the marine centre at Taka entirely. I reckon the motorcamp there is a gem. It is classic Kiwiana and loved by all. The Taka boating club has heaps of space and there is enough space there for massive regattas. Don't bother with it..

:thumbup:

I wasn't sure of the area you guys were talking about, so I took a look at the area on Google Earth. I see it as a good thing. Look at all that foul ground above Takapuna. I reckon we would all get hrs and hrs of entertainment from the boats that would run into trouble on it.

If you really want to see a waste of money in action i.e millions! then make some enquiries about the footbridge over Wairau creek at the sill of the marina. Just so the poor darlings from downtrodden castor bay dont have to walk another 400m to the beach!

i have to say i'm a bit torn over this one. it certainly would be nice if a reasonable compromise could be found. it's a lot more than 400m to go around, and having lived nearby for 4 months now i still haven't seen a boat going in or out of milford marina...

The numbers being bandied around are 2.7 million to build the bridge and 200K odd a year to run it. I am seeking conformation of that.

Allowing that waste of coin just for a couple of old biddies would be criminal.

The numbers being bandied around are 2.7 million to build the bridge and 200K odd a year to run it. I am seeking conformation of that.

Allowing that waste of coin just for a couple of old biddies would be criminal.

they did have one there, remnant of the pirateship days, was deemed unsafe, impractical and restricting on vessel type that could moor in the basin area so was removed.....perhaps the old biddies are just trying to relive their youthfull shenanagins at the pirateship dances

And about to start in Milford. The twat Lenny has decided Milford is an ideal spot for high rise high density housing.

Actually, in Len's defense, intensification at Milford and Takapuna etc has been planned well before he came into power.

See here for the 1999 Regional Growth Concept Map that was signed up to by all of the Councils way back then as part of the Sector Agreements in which each of the City's divied up the projected growth for the region: http://www.arc.govt.nz/albany/fms/main/ ... 202050.pdf

The problem is that local govenment is not capable of actually delivering the planning framework necessary to deliver that growth. Particularly in light of the NIMBY responses of the residents of each local area (i.e. Orewa / Nautilus). Hence the default position of the Council(s) is to "keep on doing some more planning" while housing unaffordability continues to sky rocket.

...another local government failure which, on its own and collectively with the additional build costs now arising from it, is further compounding affordability issues.

Then you have Council setting rates based on property values which they influence upwards by financial and development contributions and by strangling the supply of residential land / development (whether administratively or physically).

The whole thing is a fiasco.

When you see an apartment in central Grey Lynn being marketed for $1.3m you know that there won't be any light at the end of the unaffordability tunnel any time soon.

"If the youngsters want a house they can buy an apartment. Yeah Right!"

It's taken me a while to get to a decent computer and read the d®aft plan for this thing. While I'm all for having a national sailing centre, call it what you will, I just wonder if the clever people that create these dumb ideas have a solitary braincell.

If you want to host big events, you need affordable accommodation.

The camp there provides this. I know a lot of european sailors who travel around a lot to regatta's etc, and one of their first checks when deciding to go or not, is "where do we stay?"

For most dinghy sailors, unless they are funded by the national authority, then staying in a high-priced motel is out of the question.

At present if I race away from home, it's stay in the campervan.

For some reason YNZ doesn't like that.

Once again, they make it a richer mans sport.

Why not build the marine centre at the front, and have combined rigging/car/trailer/motorhome parking at the back? Just paint some lines! real rocket science stuff!!

Rant over, foul mood remaining!

• Upvote 1