The fight over Takapuna Beach continues

I grew up (that is for the first 6 years of my life) on Taka beach. 12 Sanders Avenue was our address and we had a dinghy on the beach, beneath which we would hide the oars and rowlocks. Nobody every even dreamed of nicking either the dinghy or the oars and rowlocks.

I did have shoes but bare feet were the order of the day and we went into town with mum maybe once a week. In short, I was a child of the "End of the Golden Summer".

Having subsequently taken up sailing as a sport and pastime, the idea of having a sailing centre based there excites me enormously.

I couldn't think of anything better for the the future of Takapuna, sailing. or the nation.

DL

There is never a "right" place to put a National sailing centre. But in Spain they have one in every major sailing city and switch staff between them.

They are just additions to the local club and are very well set up.

The one in Santander is excellent and across the road from the city centre.

Most of the funding comes from sponsorship.

This arvo I've been trying to find out just what this place is supposed to do, assuming it gets built. Buggered if I can find anything. Anyone know what is supposed to happen there?

Yachting NZ will have all the details on thier web site. Nothing this big will happen without a plan, funding, and approval by the board... oh yeah and the mayor.

well i put in a sbmission against it.

why do we need two or more buildings on the same beach for the same sports?

Smithy's comments are those i agree with.

lot's of other clubs around the shore and town that could easily accomodate elite sailors and this would possibly benefit all sailors and the clubs.

There is no way all classes can or could fit here

The committee/management of this centre, again i'm sure they could meet at a club that already exists.

the only thing i see required at Takapuna beach is more parking for the boats, both sailing and patrol, this could be near the camp ground or beside Takapuna Boating club.

here comes another high cost item to further reduce the takings from lotteries and the like for all and perhaps soak up more of our YNZ levies.

as far as our rates go and the camp site, ask what the cafe is paying for rent to the council and how this all came about

my 2cents

• Upvote 1

Sounds like the joint funding of $8m has already been agreed and the final step is planning approval. Otherwise the funding grants will disappear and be used for something else, probly non yachting.

well i put in a sbmission against it.

why do we need two or more buildings on the same beach for the same sports?

Smithy's comments are those i agree with.

lot's of other clubs around the shore and town that could easily accomodate elite sailors and this would possibly benefit all sailors and the clubs.

There is no way all classes can or could fit here

The committee/management of this centre, again i'm sure they could meet at a club that already exists.

the only thing i see required at Takapuna beach is more parking for the boats, both sailing and patrol, this could be near the camp ground or beside Takapuna Boating club.

here comes another high cost item to further reduce the takings from lotteries and the like for all and perhaps soak up more of our YNZ levies.

as far as our rates go and the camp site, ask what the cafe is paying for rent to the council and how this all came about

my 2cents

+1

Agree Otto. This will not benefit sailors at other clubs and not help Takapuna.

If the funding money is so tenuous AC then whoever is pushing this need to review their approach to the site and its funding.

Coming back to Auckland was an eye opener. The dingy clubs from Kohi through to akarana have low numbers participating and could easily do a deal with council to amalgamate on one site and get the council to pay for it in lieu of the land the council will get back from the other sites.

This super club could do what all clubs want and a lot more. Plus it could embrace YNZ and a sailing national centre, museum, centre of excellence, hall of fame, ...

...Buggered if I can find anything. Anyone know what is supposed to happen there?

Summary: http://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/about-us/n ... rts-centre

Concept drawings: http://www.yachting.org.nz/sites/yachti ... sign_0.pdf

Council's full draft Takapuna reserve management plan: http://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/Site ... ntplan.pdf

I also made a submission supporting the general concept of a national high performance center, but opposing the proposed location and design, for reasons similar to those mentioned by otto etc.

I took a look at the submission options out of curiosity and it was classic kiwi non-decision-making. Meaning you can end up with a result that says "I support the general concept but not this particualr version". So how does that help with a simple yes or no decision on this specific case?

Reflect on the lack of foresight that has dogged NZ for decades, things like not seeing ahead of time the long-term need to build better facilities and infrastructure e.g. bridges, transport, rail-links...... resulting in missed opportunities and "If only..." sentiments from subsequent generations who have to live with under-par facilities.

Ring any bells here folks?

JP - not that there are many dinghy clubs between Kohi and Akarana. Akarana is more a keelboat club, Kohi is youth only and has good numbers but boat/trailer storage limited to the beach or roadside, Tamaki is more a restaurant/function centre with some Laser and Mistral sailing attached. That leaves Auckland Sailing Club who's numbers are regulated by the limited classes they sail.

However, given the parking, storage, launching facilities already available at Okahu Bay a deal with Akarana or ASC would allow expansion of existing facilities.

Agree JK, but I would go further and keep Kohi for dingies and youth, then amalgamate Tamaki into kohi.

Then do a deal with the council to upgrade both sites in return of Tamaki to them.

Same could be done on the north shore maybe?

How may clubs from takapuna to whangaparoa?...Five?

So all that I can find says it's a couple of new but small offices for high performance coaches and a pile of pretty expensive boat parks. It seems way to small to be of any use especially once you add in all the other boats used in the sale pitch.

I'm gonna have to +1 Ottos comments.

Nothing this big
Big?? It's tiny.
So all that I can find says it's a couple of new but small offices for high performance coaches and a pile of pretty expensive boat parks. It seems way to small to be of any use especially once you add in all the other boats used in the sale pitch.

I'm gonna have to +1 Ottos comments.

Nothing this big
Big?? It's tiny.

Big - as in "expenditure" and planning (design, approvals, council sign off etc...) the building is a glorified garage but as we know they can cost a fair bit of wedge on the seafront of Auckland. :D

Why don,t they challenge their ability and put it in Taupo? :wink:

Someone wants a nice office with a view

Why not work something out with one of the clubs on the shore. Could be a winning solution with an upgrade to existing facilities?

That was my submission; that and the fact that the boat ramp is already often full so where are all the "new" sailors going to park. Its not like they can bring the boat and gear using the fairly inadequate public transport.

Why not work something out with one of the clubs on the shore. Could be a winning solution with an upgrade to existing facilities?

I think you will find that to 'upgrade' facilities at any other club in Auckland will require funding; available land; like minded people; and council resource consent, all of which you will probably object to anyway, no matter the location...

Funnily YNZ seem to have most of those ducks in a row... Hopefully they get over the last hurdle in spite of those who would prefer to see a nice grass picnic area instead, yawn.

That was my submission; that and the fact that the boat ramp is already often full so where are all the "new" sailors going to park. Its not like they can bring the boat and gear using the fairly inadequate public transport.

You really are taking the piss now aren't you...

Now you don't like the proposal, because there isn't enough parking? :clap:

I think you will find that to 'upgrade' facilities at any other club in Auckland will require funding; available land; like minded people; and council resource consent, all of which you will probably object to anyway, no matter the location...

Funnily YNZ seem to have most of those ducks in a row... Hopefully they get over the last hurdle in spite of those who would prefer to see a nice grass picnic area instead, yawn.

You really are taking the piss now aren't you...

Now you don't like the proposal, because there isn't enough parking? :clap:

No I'm not. In the summer its a nightmare already. How do you expect to fit in the extra patronage (+ trailers etc) with the new facility? There are already clubs along the coast with sufficient room to add to or share space with better access for all.

here's a suggetion that will never fly.

Rebuild the stupid bloody rip rap at Okahu Bay and make it a decent breakwater. Then Reclaim enough land to make a truly spectacular water sports (including sailing) centre. Build a big Marina and move all the boats from Westhaven. Fund it by building ugly shitbox condos all over what used to be Westhaven (it's what the idiots want to do anyway).

Results

1 - all the dinghy sailing in Auckland concentrated into decent fleets in one spot.

2 - the keelboats can get out of the ditch - better for racing, better for cruising

3 - all funded by sale of said ugly shitbox condos.

Then lock the thing up tighter than a bull's arse in fly time so nobody can ever undo it.

• Upvote 1

I just hope they put a webcam, with sound, at the top of the ramp as you can guarantee the sh*t fights will be large and a great watch.

Good opportunity for the TAB to make some coin -

The 470 rigging up taking 2 lanes of the ramp - $3.57

The 3 pissed Fishos wanting to get home to catch the rugby - $1.10

A good idea but very pricey and in the wrong spot. Put that 8mil into Narrow Neck, as just one example, and then you'd see a far more usable world class facility that could cater to a far wider base.

No I'm not. In the summer its a nightmare already. How do you expect to fit in the extra patronage (+ trailers etc) with the new facility? There are already clubs along the coast with sufficient room to add to or share space with better access for all.

When I look at the plan, I see a boat(sailing dinghy) base, storage and rigging facility along with some office / meeting rooms.

It is in actual fact a huge addition of space available to sailors, and will make access to the beach / ramp / sailing a lot easier.

Squad members will presumably be able to leave their boats and gear there ready to go.

The previously planned centre alongside Takapuna BC didn't fly.

Takapuna BC actually has virtually no dedicated sailing dinghy storage space.

The grass next door is reserve (no boat storage allowed).

Every other club on the Shore / Auckland faces similar space problems, don't have proper boat ramp facilities, are on shipping lanes etc. The list of compromises is quite lengthy when you look at them.

Takapuna has a heck of a lot going for it, in terms of ticking all the boxes...