The fight over Takapuna Beach continues

The Caravan park has gone. Crying shame, and the Councillors concerned have none. The whole thing stinks of dodgy dealing in back rooms. I think there are a lot of Yotties who think this was a very bad call as well. Even elite yotties.. They have just killed off another bit of North Shore heritage, and it will no doubt the camp site will follow the other local icon killed off, the Mon Desir and benefit a very few. These people are short sighted IDIOTS.

Having had more to do than I ever would have believed with the RYA... comparing and contrasting, am wondering what YNZ actually does for the average yottie. (Yes I know the demographics and funding are of a completely different order).

Yup. And I was very happy to see that.

Maybe with elections coming up they are getting a little gun-shy?? I for one, won't be voting for any of the current crop. Not one... It's a no-brainer...

He regretted that the council had not talked to him earlier if the plan had room for self-contained motor homes. They were most of the park's business and he was happy to keep operating that part, though the five motel units were popular

Funny tho, I thought most of the sympathy lay with traditional kiwi family campers in tents, not cashed up retiree's in $200k mobile homes

Yes B, I was surprised to see they have 27 of them in the office.

27 ! Try talking to someone about registration or PHRF. She only works on Wednesdys :crazy:

What do they do ??

Perhaps any of them who read this might like to explain.

The lack of foresight and bigoted, ill-informed opinion on this issue, as both a Takapuna resident and sailor, I find really annoying.

1. Is a trailer park used by a very few and off limits to everyone but its paying few a benefit to the wider community? No. Would the same space, and public space for the most part, for a larger number of people and public be a better use? Yes.

2. As higher density housing becomes more prevalent all over Auckland where do people store their sailing dinghies? Where do you guys and gals who can only afford apartments or shared accommodation store their sailing dinghies?

3. We all share the glory when our Olympic sailors bag medals and win world champs. But we quickly forget the enormous hours they pour into their sport to win. I remember and have never forgotten what coaches told me: "time in the boat". If you've got to travel huge distances - less time in the boat - one centre in Auck is a waste of our fine harbour. If you have to transport, re-rig and de-rig and the re-transport the sailing dinghy - less time in the boat - and more damage to a sailing dinghy.

4. Far too many who object to this facility are in the upper middle age/class group who, no doubt have worked hard to get where they are. However, it appears they are resentful of young sailors getting things for "free". They far to quickly forget that 40 years ago you could leave your boat on most of the east coast bays beaches for free for much of the summer. Try that now.

5. Will stowing your boat there be free? Most unlikely. Most dinghy storage in Auckland with similar access to the water are charging $1000+ per annum. Most young sailors would happy pay that for more time on the water.

6. Such an area is a once in a lifetime opportunity to build an enduring facility that the north shore lacks. I very strongly suspect (and as we've seen already) there are numerous elements that place their own selfish self interests first; strongly driven I suspect by a profit motive.

7. 35 years ago there were far, far more dinghy sailors up and down east cost bays. And Takapuna had a regular racing fleet. Now where are they? I suspect the same middle aged/class objectors would say derisively - playing their game toys and hanging out at the mall. All the while forgetting if they want kids to be more active they need to ensure facilities are available.

In summary, there is really only one sensible use for this area. While we can argue about the what buildings go up - the use must be clearly and permanently allocated to water sports, making it easy to "spend time in the boat" and kept a largely public area - to encourage the public to embrace water sports and the wonderful Hauraki Gulf that is there for all.

• Downvote 1

Noteworthy sentences...

"Board member Joseph Bergin, 20, made a plea for people to stop telephoning him on the issue, saying he doesn't take well to being told off."

"Whether the community like the outcome or not they will appreciate us moving forward, " member Dianne Hale added.

"Whether the community like the outcome or not they will appreciate us moving forward, " member Dianne Hale added.
Doesn't that one read more like 'We will do what we want, f*ck what the community thinks'.

That is the very attitude that has made this whole thing as big as issue as it is. Both Councillors and YNZ thinking they are bigger than everyone else.

balgarion, how many mast-up boats do you believe the NOWSC plan will accommodate?

Enough for now. But a big regatta? Probably not enough.

On wondering around down there recently it would be appear the boat ramp will be a major bottleneck. Getting a skiff down the ramp in a decent SW wind requires a few tacks. :P

The fizz boaties have plenty to say about that - mostly, it is pretty ignorant. I noted too that fizz boaties have tonnes of parks allocated but for environmentally friendly and healthily dinghies? Zip. Nada!

Dinghies can get down the "always-f--king-chained" ramp to the beach but at high tide the end of the ramp is water and the beach about 30cms underwater. Actually, launching dinghies from the beach I've always found far easier and more forgiving than boat ramps which tend to get too deep too quick. Pontoons are great though.

One option (yellow in picture) would be to reclaim a wide walkway along the stretch of beach above high water. (After the huge amount the council spent in this area providing an above-high-water walkway this'll be small change!).

Another option (red in picture) would be to place a ramp where there are currently rocks directly out into the harbour with a bit of rock demolition for a decent channel. This'll not fly as the rocks are sacred geological artefacts apparently. Would be nice though as they'd be heaps of space to rig on the flat, a short pull to the ramps and easy sailing in and out in most winds.

Another option (pink in picture) would be to run a breakwater out from the existing ramp somehow with pontoons to launch from. Can't quite see how this would work though.

Anyway back to that "always-f--king-chained" ramp and a stretch of reclaimed land with ramps to launch from (yellow in picture). Got me thinking.

The stretch would have the parking and ramp at one end and the existing TBC at the other end. Nice. The bit that ends at the TBC end would be ramp onto the beach giving more launching points and pedestrian access. Nice again. Planned well, e.g. with steel rings in the concrete to secure boats, there'd be no need for fences. Just a row of dinghies with pedestrians browsing as they walked past. Nice. Good for the kids too to see sailing dinghies and their crews up close.

You could easily accommodate fleets of 200-300 boats for big regattas and in pretty much any wind and tide while providing multiple access points. Awesome!

Attached pick shows options with my favourite in yellow. Picture is probably at or near low tide. The foul water in the red option isn't actually as bad as it looks.

.... And that %#%#%#, #*^#$^#*#@ caravan park can stay (until it ends up as a hotel or appartments!) ....

Actually a backpackers type hotel with YNZ on the top floor might work :lol: ... Hmm thems visiting sailors need somewhere to live. And the folk behind the caravan park can't see the beach anyway so they'd lose nothing much. About 6 stories high would be ideal :twisted:

Takapuna dinghy options3.jpg

balgarion, how many mast-up boats do you believe the NOWSC plan will accommodate?

Enough for now....

Unfortunately I don't know what you consider to be enough, which was kind of the point of my question. I also don't know what YNZ think is enough, nor ACC... which I think underscores why it's difficult to really have a productive debate about this.

As for the rest of your post, whether or not anyone agrees with your specific suggestions, at least they represent someone actually attempting to think through the objectives, constraints and options, which I think is fantastic. Unfortunately none of the consultation processes that I've seen have sought this kind of input, nor revealed what alternatives were considered by those advocating the current plan.

Enough for now....

Unfortunately I don't know what you consider to be enough, which was kind of the point of my question. I also don't know what YNZ think is enough, nor ACC... which I think underscores why it's difficult to really have a productive debate about this.

Hi Mark,

Just been down and did some pacing around.

The area I marked in yellow has few issues - its pretty much a dead area with little or no marine life.

The high water extends right up to the existing sea wall which I note is being undermined so repairs will need to be made soon.

In summertime, very few people sit in this area when the tide is out. Its wet and often covered in seaweed.

More detailed picture attached.

Some park benches and maybe BBQ areas could be added under the trees to break up a continuous line of dinghies.

The area marked appears to be about 150m to 170m long and it could be made quite wide - as much as 15m?

The area from TBC to the ramp would allow parking for between 100 and 150 dinghies (a few less if they're formula14's :wave: or 49ers for that matter 8) ).

Its quite sheltered so little chance of the dinghies being blown away or waves breaking over the seawall and destroying them.

If an annual parking fee is charged at about $500 per annum that's about 50k per annum (minimum) that should pay for the administration of the annual parking permits. This would be less if TBC administered them (hell what are clubs for after all - In fact I'll do it for 20k!!) A bit of sponsorship from local business and the teenagers would be able leave their boats there year round. Yesterday and today were perfect winter sailing days!

I've no idea what a decent seawall, backfill and ramps would cost. But surely not much given how long they'd last.

The existing seawall at the car park end is quite high. I've favour a step down from the existing seawall so that people on the beach aren't faced with a solid wall of concrete. Also - added a middle ramp for the same effect but this may be overkill (extra cost) if the seawall is lowered). If its wide enough, this would be quite pleasant area for the promenaders at high tide and would link the coastal walkway all the way to Milford.

Takapuna dinghy options - yellow.jpg

Funny how things are ... The property right beside the TBC is for sale

http://www.realestate.co.nz/2041880

7.2 mill asking price ... Be a nice spot for YNZ ... NSCC has bought up a whole heap of coastal properties in the last 5-10 years. Why not this one and lease to YNZ? Would give then direct access to the new dinghy storage area at the foot of the property too.

And the existing friggin' eyesore that is the camping ground can be turned into what ever people want ... split between a park and a charity operated set of small, basic holiday cabins to benefit charity groups like dying / sick kids would be my preference. But please a park with BBQ areas and some public amenities.

Takapuna dinghy options - yellow.jpg

List of schools (thanks to B&T) from Takapuna

Hauraki School - 0.6 Km

Takapuna Grammar School - 1.3 Km

Belmont Intermediate - 1.5 Km

Westlake Girls' High School - 2.6 Km

Wilson School - 1.1 Km

Takapuna School - 1.3 Km

St Joseph's Catholic School (Takapuna) - 1.3 Km

Rosmini College - 1.4 Km

Bayswater School - 1.7 Km

Belmont School (Auckland) - 1.8 Km

Hato Petera College - 1.9 Km

Onepoto School 2.4 Km

Northcote Intermediate 2.5 Km

Carmel College - 2.7 Km

St Mary's School (Northcote) 3.4 Km

St Leo's Catholic School (Devonport) 3.5 Km

And a short and safe bike ride away Westlake Boys and Westlake Girls. Bus trips for Rangitoto College, Glenfield College, etc.

Hmm ... space for 150 dinghies may not be enough :P

You think you're going to be able to swing a large chuck of Taka beach off the locals so it can be used by 150 rich pricks? Good luck with that plan :lol:

Those schools, or the vast majority, already have boats at their disposal (and get used a LOT) and storage on the waters edge.

Wouldn't it make more sense on every point for the YNZ horde to move in with one of those?