Cat1 Waka

They were in MNZ survey I believe. How that relates to Cat 1 is hard to say as YNZ is generally in the 21st century where it's hoped MZN will shortly be arriving in the 20th.

This kind of discussion has an unpleasant hint of racism but to be fair its the product of our apathy in allowing NZ to develop two sets of books.

From my understanding they are having to live with the exact same bollocks the rest of us are. There is a few quirks but that is due to the somewhat unusual nature of the boats rather than the colour of any skin. You maybe drawing a bow a tad far there Mr Bike, as understandable as it sadly is damn easy to do.

My cousin is in one of them. He did the last trip on it from Hawaii to Sth America I think (memory isn't to flash).

Said it was brilliant. Very professionally run.

Said it was a real life changing experience.

More power to them, hope the trip goes well.

My first response when I saw the original pose was "racist, sh*t stirring mother fucker". Then upon reflection and the fullness of time I realised that my original response was correct.

Get a f**king life and look at the positive side of the waka programme. If you took the time to find out a bit more about how it works, who's funding it, what they're achieving, and what a great bunch of people all involved are then you might be pleasantly surprised. Hell, even make friends with some of them and ask them the same question you gutlessly asked on an anonymous forum.

But then that would involve you getting out of your white only sailing club mentality and exposing yourself to a bit of learning.

Sad dude, very sad.

No,I am not accepting any of that.It was a straight forward legitimate question.And this is a legitimate place to ask it.It is easily possible that they might not have to comply due to "cultural" reasons.

And Knotme has hinted that there might be some details that they "fudged" on.The individual yacht skipper can be bullied by the Cat1 inspector to comply with the inspectors ideas whereas the "weight" behind the Waka program might bully the inspector.

No,I am not accepting any of that.It was a straight forward legitimate question.And this is a legitimate place to ask it.It is easily possible that they might not have to comply due to "cultural" reasons.

And Knotme has hinted that there might be some details that they "fudged" on.The individual yacht skipper can be bullied by the Cat1 inspector to comply with the inspectors ideas whereas the "weight" behind the Waka program might bully the inspector.

Well said nonam. You original question had no racial undertones and was not bagging the programme nor the people but more the process of measurement of a vessel fit for purpose.

I read it as saying that "maybe the waka people have it right and cat 1 is to much regs for offshore sailing rather than the waka being given a easy ride or different sets of rules.

People need to chillax a bit and stop getting so defensive. Even my comment, while being tongue in cheek, could be taken as meaning... well if they own the water then they can do what they want without white man over zealous regulation"

Go the waka and bring back the freedom we used to have before idiots ruined everything!

Or are they exempted because its not in the treaty?

Why throw in a trolling comment such as this when a legitimate question would have been something like "are there any legitimate cultural reasons".

I can't see where KM said they fudged anything.

I stand by me original comments, it may be a legitimate question but trolling comments removed its legitimacy.

Why do you want to know if they need cat 1, is there a reason other than to feed a racist fire?

I read it as saying that "maybe the waka people have it right and cat 1 is to much regs for offshore sailing rather than the waka being given a easy ride or different sets of rules.

People need to chillax a bit and stop getting so defensive. Even my comment, while being tongue in cheek, could be taken as meaning... well if they own the water then they can do what they want without white man over zealous regulation"

Go the waka and bring back the freedom we used to have before idiots ruined everything!

Bollocks, your post was openly racist as well.

If you're going to stick your tongue in your cheek learn to use a smiley.

Or are they exempted because its not in the treaty?

Why throw in a trolling comment such as this when a legitimate question would have been something like "are there any legitimate cultural reasons".

I can't see where KM said they fudged anything.

I stand by me original comments, it may be a legitimate question but trolling comments removed its legitimacy.

Why do you want to know if they need cat 1, is there a reason other than to feed a racist fire?

OMG... give it a break! Sorry Pwederell but you are just as bad but the other way.

If they have different rules then please explain why they do. Rather than play the man and the continual micro examination of every little comment.

...again it is the system and process. Not the skin colour!.... for everyone except motor bike and pwederell.

Bollocks, your post was openly racist as well.

If you're going to stick your tongue in your cheek learn to use a smiley.

Only to you pwederell only to you :D

Where have I said it is OK for them to have different rules? Where has it been said that they do, in fact, have different rules? We must be reading different threads.

I will always play the man when I find his behaviour offensive.

Where have I said it is OK for them to have different rules? Where has it been said that they do, in fact, have different rules? We must be reading different threads.

I will always play the man when I find his behaviour offensive.

And maybe that is where you go wrong. :D

Easy to sit in an overseas port taking advantage of cheap taxes and friendly locals throwing comment back at a homeland that you do not live in and do not suffer the rules the Kiwi,s have to tolerate Mr pwederell.

If there are two sets of rules then that is not right ... either way.

nonam does not have to take a PC stance and tread carefully around the issue! Just as you do not have to tolerate his comments, as you see them, and attack him.

That's my lot.

Easy to sit in an overseas port taking advantage of cheap taxes and friendly locals throwing comment back at a homeland that you do not live in and do not suffer the rules the Kiwi,s have to tolerate Mr pwederell.

Very offensive jerk. I think you will find I don't take advantage of anyone and both Sue & I are widely respected for our interaction with NiVan. BTW, I pay tax in NZ

If there are two sets of rules then that is not right ... either way.

There you go again. Is there an issue? I certainly haven't seen or read anything that suggests there is. You are both creating an issue to further your racist trolling. Show me anything that suggests or proves the waka programme has had this sort of advantage.

nonam does not have to take a PC stance and tread carefully around the issue! Just as you do not have to tolerate his comments, as you see them, and attack him.

There is a line between PC and bigotry and it's very easy to see.

That's my lot.

Have to love it don't ya :)

Yes the Wakas did get a special look over as they had lots of Maori on them, there is no doubt what so ever about that. They did have a inspection which was 100% due to their race.

BUT lets de sensationalise that a little shall we. Yes they did get a race based inspection but knot because they are Maori but because they are NZers. The skin colour doesn't come into play as all NZers would have had the same one, with a few allowances due to the nature of the vessels involved, which again that would apply to any NZer should they be standing on their decks at the time.

So why am I 100% sure the Wakas had a race based Cat Inspection?

Tomorrow I'm taking a boat into the deep blue and we have no Cat 1 inspection purely due to race. It's an Aussie boat.

I accept that asking these questions might be racist,but I dont give a rats arse.I assume they have no trouble having sat phone,liferaft,flares etc.But I read they have no "modern" navigation aids on board.Yet some people say they got the full treatment.I say,what else did they get away with.

And for those who cannot guess where I am going........If they can leave without navigation equipment,why cant I?

So basically no special dispensation, no special treatment. To put in context my accusations of racism to the OP here are a few recent gems from the same poster.

Racial tolerance???

“Why do I suspect that members of these tribes, receiving millions, are also receiving welfare? ”

“I thought we already paid for te reo.I thought we shelled out about 30mil for a two year program to promote the language and it was a total failure.I think the money disappeared into the pockets of people like that dope that is presently sitting in an Argentinian jail. ”

“Looks like it is a done deal.Nose rubbing coming to a beach near you?

NZ politicians doing SECRET deals with Maori elite?”

“I think that genocide was one of their customary rights ,along with cannabalism and slavery.”

“And we could end up with untold Maori thugs claiming the beaches anyway.”

Archived