Cat1 Waka

This photo pops up :lol:

:lol: Hey Squid - For the newbie uninitiated maybe you should explain exactly who that is!

Probably right.

That boatnigger is my beloved wife of nearly 25 yrs, we lived aboard with our two girls for nearly 10 years and 15,000 miles.

Another photo, just because I can, taken the day we left Grand Cayman for Panama.

Very nice! And a great woman to be able to put up with a man and his boating dream. Well done.

Or maybe it was her dream too!... even better!

Took me a while to find my current model and she fortunately comes from a sailing family sooooo.... :thumbup: :thumbup: :D

God some people really do have way too much time. What a bunch of ass this thread is.

Can't we focus on the boats themselves and the people who are doing a fantastic thing. I've had the privilege of sailing on these beasts and got to say it was fantastic especially in trades offshore. They actually do punt along which surprised me.

Guilty as charged... I have far to much time... but not for long :D

Actually, when we left she had never been on a boat in her life and couldn't swim. Still can't swim. But is actively helping in our "next boat" search.

Actually, when we left she had never been on a boat in her life and couldn't swim. Still can't swim. But is actively helping in our "next boat" search.

What is your ideal boat?

I will be looking soon for something to cruise the gulf and beyond and thinking 35-40 foot, glass, with good donkey and sails. The rest I can fix.

Or 30 to 35 for just gulf stuff.

House first.

Has someone kidnapped The Ogre and replaced him with a happy, cheery, glass half full Ogre?!

Or is it

- Drink?

- Drugs?

- A house sale over the weekend, or two?

- Wife has finally said ‘yes dear’ to a threesome?

- Happy dust in the sandwiches?

- Large number of unique page hits on the ‘Cat1 Waka’ thread?

Something is amiss and we need to find him. Hes just not himself today

thanks nonam for starting this thread, personally I don't care what your reasons were or your politics and thanks Jono, Southernman for trying to get a decent discussion going on this thread regarding these great vessels, ocean going waka and vaka (wheels I have never heard of a vaga) are special and as far as I know in recent times many have made fantastic trans ocean voyages, without having to turn back to NZ with a broken GPS or various other similar catastrophes, none have fallen apart within 500nm of NZ or in the case of the last RNI half of the fleet not getting past new plymouth.

The Polynesian navigation system is a south pacific treasure.

And as for the idea that these vessels have been treaty exempted or excepted by MNZ it is just typical redneck or trendy PC liberal (depending on your point of view) pontificating without any regard for the facts, checkout the stats for vessels finishing vs starting the last two Noumea races, the last RNZ and the last RNI and compare that to the success rate of the various and many waka voyages around NZ, the pacific and beyond.

We had a small involvement with the Pacific Voyagers Vaka Moana project and got to meet and know a few of the crews in Fiji and here in Vanuatu.

I make no apologies for calling a racist to task for using what is a fantastic organisation to further his redneck agenda.

Yep I have a mate who did the legs from auckland throught to either San Fran or LA? I can't quite remeber but the ease and speed these veseels seem to cross the ocean is very interesting and they are hand or manually steered!!

The construction technique of those modelled on traditional vaka give a very forgiving hull form given they are tied together and the hulls are clearly very easily driven given their relatively small sail plans, and given that many of the crew are very inexperienced (my mate had never been to sea before) sea sickness doesn't seem to be a hugs issue either.

They use a steering oar which generally requires 2 of the crew on the end at all times. Not the best solutions for manouvering under their electric engine in confined quarters but they have developed a sort of sculling technique to shunt the stern sideways. Last seen doing this a week or so back when they were leaving Vila and the girls were proving themselves (4 of them on the oar from memory). Also a very impressive Haka from the pan Pacific crew, right in front of the Waterfront Bar. Unfortunately I didn't have a camera handy.

God some people really do have way too much time. What a bunch of ass this thread is.

Can't we focus on the boats themselves and the people who are doing a fantastic thing. I've had the privilege of sailing on these beasts and got to say it was fantastic especially in trades offshore. They actually do punt along which surprised me.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I have to say that I'm woefully ignorant about these Waka (Vaga/whatever) vessels and voyages. I really have no idea what they're doing or why. Would imagine that the Category 1 safety inspection would have been a little different for the inspector(s) ... bit of a different vessel than most of the boats tracking offshore.

Archived