Soft Shackles

TimW

Soft Shackles are a light weight alternative to Snap shacKles for connecting Halyards or sheets.

I haven't seen them for sale in NZ but now I know how to make them. (Just made 10 of these)

DSC08242.JPG

They cannot be attached or removed under load.

The one's in the photo are rated to over 2500 kg SWL.

I've made a few from the leftovers of dynex when I have it. I have a video from colligo marine, that I have to refer to everytime, the stopper knot is a tricky beast. I think they are pretty cool, but not sure on what permanent application they might have? I have used them for temporaily attaching blocks usually, or inner forstay even.

KM sells them if you can't be arsed learning how to make them.

Good job though! I looked online ans saw how they are done, but given I only needed two and didn't have any tools decided they were easier to buy.

KM sells them if you can't be arsed learning how to make them.

yip we will make them to whatever you want, including without the Monkey fist on the end as in, a continuous loop and in a bit tidier looking Dyneema, coated with a UV protectant, because the core of a rope won't last too long in the Sun.

KM is probably closer to Norfolk Island than Auck at the mo, so you won't see a comment from him for a week or so.

Archived