Sportsboats - WTF!

tuffyluffy

my point ?

No Point.

Life is far too short to take too seriously, and good on those who see it as it is

It was not meant as a criticism, and apologise to those I may have offended.

Keep it up :thumbup: :thumbup:

Sorry missed most of that, I have just popped back into work to check Crew.org and then off out again. :lol: :lol: :lol:

. . . if you want to have acramped situation with 2 hotties stay reasonably dry and have some overnight acom shove em into a 8.5m raft

Is that one in each boat :?:

or do you recommending lissssting one way :?: or the ooooother :?:

$10000 for a magic 25.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 457558.htm

that is alot of boat for the money.

sure you cant cruise it, but can you cruise a melges, or a platu.... are they cool ??

.....and ok, melges is a one design...but not in nz! there are less of them than magics, and they cost more than 7 times as much!!! .....do I need to add that the magic 25 is faster than the melges .....

Having sailed magics for several years I would have to say that they are actually f&^#(n cool. They have there issues like all classes, a bit heavy and yeah there is some lead, but on the upside they dont fall appart and you can comfortably rum race on them with people that dont actually know much about sailing.

Sports boats are also a shitload more fun than those tippy little splatus !!

I dont get the hole hanging on a trapieze off the side of a boat with lead on it, but some racks could rectify this pretty easily.

anyone that thinks that sports boats are a waste of time clearly haven't gone racing on one.

actually.....they probably never will becuase they are probably part of the brown undie brigade that is scared of speed and performance.

Agreed with everything in your post Mikey.

when the sportboat circut was going off a few years back I would say it was some of the best sailing in NZ, most fun and social tour around NZ that its possible to have.

The magics especially have soem great class racing in very reliable and fast boats.

10K is a steal for that boat.

Tragics cool??? I think knot. OK? I'd agree with that though. They are over built and heavy so slow for what they should be or do. The only thing going for them is there are a few so they can all play together (hence my OK call) otherwise there are many far superior options.

If you want fast wild and on the edge you can have either Sporties or Skiffs. Skiffs have fast wild and the potential to hurt you seriously built in where you have to push sporties a bit to get that.

A sportboat that won't capsize or at least get the mast laying flat on the water with relative ease if you cock-up is actually called a keel boat. Sportboats fall over but do so knot quite as easily as skiffs.

The Platu isn't a sportboat and struggles a bit to be a real keeler as well really. Knot to sure what you'd call those but probably the same as AC boats, a big day sailor. Either way they aren't cool.

10K for a Tragic or the same for a good skiff. No contest, the skiff by about 25 gazillion noses, the level of ya hoo is just so much in the Skiffs favour, on and off the water, it's simply a no brainer.

Can someone explain why you would drop good money on a sports boat, coz I dont get it.

Heres my understanding, a sportsboat is

1. Generally under 30ft

2. Drags lead around in a retracting keel/centreboard.

3. Generally can't pass Cat 1, 2, and most often 3. Hence its restricted to inner harbour racing.

4. Cant be cruised with much comfort

5. Has large gennakers and can scream around the harbour a great speed.

Hence Im talking about the Magics, Thompsons, Biekers etc

Now i get point 5, giggles downhill is a favorite passtime of mine, but why would you get a sports boat rather than a skiff dingy for a fraction of the price, and enjoy closer one-class racing?

Yes ive raced someone elses sportsboat, and it was great fun. But not as much fun as a Javelin or 12fter, which have much closer racing for a fraction of the dosh.

Curious minds want to know.

After owning a shaw i would say alot of reasons, bang for buck its pretty hard to beat. You can't take novices out racing on 12fter or enter major keelboat regattas and take races from boats worth 10x what yours is worth

Last Jan I went cruising for 3 days with the GF in the marlborough sounds (with a tent), and the next weekend we took line honors at the waikawa regatta. Beating the whole wellington fleet was good fun to, until it got to windy!

Its a shame the sportie scene has gone downhill up North recently, Taupo had a pretty good turn out 2 years ago.

Tragics cool??? I think knot. OK? I'd agree with that though. They are over built and heavy so slow for what they should be or do. The only thing going for them is there are a few so they can all play together (hence my OK call) otherwise there are many far superior options.

If you want fast wild and on the edge you can have either Sporties or Skiffs. Skiffs have fast wild and the potential to hurt you seriously built in where you have to push sporties a bit to get that.

A sportboat that won't capsize or at least get the mast laying flat on the water with relative ease if you cock-up is actually called a keel boat. Sportboats fall over but do so knot quite as easily as skiffs.

The Platu isn't a sportboat and struggles a bit to be a real keeler as well really. Knot to sure what you'd call those but probably the same as AC boats, a big day sailor. Either way they aren't cool.

10K for a Tragic or the same for a good skiff. No contest, the skiff by about 25 gazillion noses, the level of ya hoo is just so much in the Skiffs favour, on and off the water, it's simply a no brainer.

Yes I would say they are cool boats and would sail on one anyday. I have had some AWESOME days yachting on these boats!

The Magic 25 Nationals is still one of the most fun regattas I have ever done. Sure they are overbuilt, but the boats are bullet proof and reliable.

Just good clean fun!

No point coming to Wellington if you can't handle a bit of wind.

Ohh, and that silver boat in front of you in the shot would probably argue the toss about beating the fleet.

Ohh, and that silver boat in front of you in the shot would probably argue the toss about beating the fleet.

maybe he was running late for the start of the race before :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I said beating the wellington fleet, Georgia is a Auckland boat or at least that is what it has written on its stern.

Would I sail a Tragic? Sure would and have, I'll sailing anything with trapezes. But they are more a Toymotor Corolla of Sporties than the Lambo end.

A 'cool' in comparison to what sort of thing really. Against leadswinngers, Oh yeah way cool but against skiffs and the harder sporties, sorry they just don't cut the mustard. It's close but knot quite.

I always thought it was a shame the Tragics never got a real good hold on the harbour, they did start off looking like the fleet could be very large. As knot sporty as some other sporties they maybe but they sure are s shitload better to sail and watch than many things that have. The number that made it here have done well though, damn happy to see them out there doing it.

I'm trying to think of a boat that has trapezes yet isn't cool to some degree. I'm sure one or more are out there but just think of it/them. Any ideas anyone?

I will vouch for Kestrahl here, they did dominate. In fact they smoked all the keelboats bigtime in the windward leewards.

the boat was smoking and they sailed it very well, it kind of made owning a racing keelboat look pretty stupid......

Archived