Winch Handles... Which, What and How Much?

RushMan

I have a couple of new double handled B10ADL harken ones that are a bit over kill for my boat, but perfect for an 11. I'm keen to move them on in favour of some smaller B8ASG ones. Buy a couple of small harken ones and i'll swap for my large ones...

I really like the One Touch type such as Lewmar, less are lost overboard due to the one handed ease and speed at which they are released and applied, some winches don't take them and some are loose fitting. In case you haven't used them they have a release strip that operates when you squeeze the crank arm.

The handles that are aluminium are best, where to buy I'm not sure but Kiwi Yachting are Lewmar agents

Capture.JPG

Do not buy any sort of plastic.

+1.

Bloody hurt myself (and nearly fell overboard) when one of my plastic handles broke as I was fully loading up the genoa sheet.

The skipper is about to update the winch handles on Fineline (Young 11) so I have offered to do some research.

What brand is preferred, what sort of handle and where is the best place to purchase?

Buy some foam rubber ones so they dont hurt when the skipper whacks you about the head with them.

The one touch seem to be the latest and greatest, and would have to make it easier for the adventure land crew.

ab1974 - PM should be heading your way from the skipper

tuffyluffy - As a member of frontier land I am safe from the winch handle wielding skipper :lol:

L4 - Interesting but our trained cockpit gorilla wouldn't have anything to do

W.T. - Thinking that double handles might be overkill in the limited space on the Young 11

TimW - Do the Antel handles have a one touch release system option ?

I used one touch handles last season and liked them. I enquired about price and didn't like them any more.

There's a similar alternative available overseas, I saw it discussed somewhere, prolly SA, I don't know if they're available here or not.

Archived