Someone Please Shoot Me

Fish

So I'm trying to work out, if I weigh the boat, what gear I have to take off for a legitimate displacement weight for PHRF... :?

Read the PHRF rules (3 pages) and several other docs on the yatching nz site, nothing, other than a reference to the ORC measurement rules... :silent:

Go to the ORC website, download the IMS Rules 2010, get a head ache, can't make sense of a word... :wtf: :think:

Download the ORC Rating Rules 2010, migraine starts. find the following definition... :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

"DSPM and DSPS are the displacements calculated from the volume resulting from the linear

integration of the immersed section areas obtained from the hull lines of the Offsets and the

freeboards afloat, adjusted to the standard SG, in Measurement Trim and Sailing Trim respectively.

DSPM is printed on the ORC certificate" :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Now I need some lead therapy... :sick: :sick:

If I follow this and the other defintions correctly, I can't just weigh my boat, I have to calculate the displacement from line offset drawings and multiple by several bollix factors, oh and pay ISAF a special bullshit levy to add to the confusion.

Could someone please tell me, for a PHRF discpalcement, what i need ot take off the boat when weighing it? or direct me to a common or garden varity explanation :D

Fish, if you have an IRC or ORC certificate, the displacement on the certificate is more than fine for PHRF, if not, most boats declare a class minimum displacement or give an estimated displacement rather than formally weighing.

Remember, PHRF is a performance handicap so the displacement is only considered if the boat's unknown with no previous race history.

Other than that, the only consideration would be a displacement accurate enough to survive a certificate protest, haven't heard of anyone challenging a boat's declared weight on a PHRF cert before, there are a few interesting ones around that might make for entertaining protests though.

I think the only key number you have to get right is '60' as in the $60 which must accompany the form ;)

Otherwise Markm is on the money.

Interesting comment on the weights. My Cert came back saying 300kg heavier than what was sent in, no idea why knot that it makes any difference or I have any idea what she does actually weigh. I just copied all the numbers off another boats Cert working on the 'close enough' theory.

My Cert came back saying 300kg heavier than what was sent in, no idea why knot that it makes any difference or I have any idea what she does actually weigh. I just copied all the numbers off another boats Cert working on the 'close enough' theory.

maybe they heard about the spare rum under the floor boards ..... :D

Fish, if you have an IRC or ORC certificate, the displacement on the certificate is more than fine for PHRF, if not, most boats declare a class minimum displacement or give an estimated displacement rather than formally weighing.

We've had ORC and IRC (un-endorsered), the displacement on both of those was the weight I gave them, being the design displacement of the boat (25yrs old). That is going to be too light. Having had a yarn with the builder, and considering a few other factors (full fit out, three batteries etc) I'd expect the boat to be weighing possibly up to 15% more than what I've currently declared.

Understand PHRF being a performance based system. One reason for wanting to weight the boat is purely out of interest, I want to know how heavy it actually is.

Regards PHRF, isn't there an upper and lower band for each boat dictated by the boat measurements? if a key measurement is wrong this could affect the handicap number?

One reason for wanting to weight the boat is purely out of interest, I want to know how heavy it actually is.

Next time you lift out on a travel lift, ask the operator. Some travel lfts have weight displays so you may get a reasonable figure, better that your current guessing possibly :?

FWIW: 2+ years ago during an IRC weighing, the crane driver asked me to guess the weight and he said my "10,300kgs" was spot on; but I did not know how accurate his display was. It must of been pretty good though because the IRC Load Cell weight was the same from memory.

Archived