category 1 or not

does anyone know the consequences of sailing off shore without Category 1, now don't all jump down my throat it's just a question :wink:

pretty much no consequences of sailing offshore as long as you don't stray into another countries waters.

If however you end up in say Oz waters without clearing customs (which as a New Zealand registered vessel you will need a cat1 certificate) you will find yourself in deep sh*t and will probably spend some time in a prison cell.

If however you end up in say Oz waters without clearing customs

Any country for that matter, because you won't have clearance to leave NZ for another country.

Question, is it not possible to get Cat1?? It's not that difficult really. And most sailors tend to have most things on board already. It's only sailors like Squid that want to sail the Oceans in 4 Kerosene Tins tied together, just like my Great Grandfather did apparently, so I am told.

Cat 1 is a big step up Wheels. The most recent post that I remember on the subject was Island Time getting ready for the solo TransTasman race and having to have things like extra lashings in case his engine mounts failed. I have also seen comments in past threads (maybe from Pete Wederell? or someone similar) that the fact that it becomes voided as soon as you reach your destination doesn't add to the appeal.

You get Cat 1 for a specific voyage or race. At the end of that voyage/race the boat reverts to Cat 2 automatically, sort of.

If you are a NZ boat it's highly unlikely you'll get Customs Clearance without a Cat 1. No clearance means no entry at the other end or in other words as mentioned above, you could become great mates with a dude called Bubba.

When the NZ Authorities catch up with you there will be more trouble. Knowing NZ I'd say you'll get a serious thrashing with a wet Cat 1 Cert :)

20K would be up there a little I think Squid but I'd budget a number closer to that than I would 1K.

20K is close to what we spent but that was starting pretty much from scratch with a weekend sailor and most of the money we spent would have been spent on the same things anyway. The big sticker for us was if we had been forced to get righting curves done but we dodged that little inconvenience OK.

Starting from scratch yes. But I doubt most that have seriously cruised in a well found boat, would be anywhere near that kind of cost. Pete's situation was different because that was not the typical crusiing boat and so as he said, they started from scratch.

IT was similar because of the race it was doing. Remember that the inspector has a fair bit of say in what is required and not required outside of the "book" and he makes those decisions based on the situation.

Ummm...I think from past discussions here, that the only safety gear that a few members here would rather not have to have, would be Liferaft, EPIRB, and HF radio. Personally it is just HF radio I would do without, but I would look at an alternative, as I would still want communication. So would you consider cruising without Liferaft and EPIRB?? they would be your really big ticket items that many sailors may not normally have. We have niether ourselves, but am wanting to get an EPIRB when I can afford to.

Apart from maybe being tripped up by stability curves, most all the issues of achieving Cat1 would be how I want my boat to be in normal mode anyway. The reason why Cat1 reverts to Cat 2 is that you have time expiring equipment on board and these need to be checked each time you enter Cat1.... AND, that you have not removed any items just because you obtained Cat1 once. I am sure a few unscrupulous given the oportunity, would borrow a mates Liferaft, pass Cat1 and then return the raft before they set off. Thankfully we don;t have anyone like that here as "crew" members. :wink:

The med kit is another bummer, bloody expensive with lots of stuff that expires. I took the list to a pharmacist mate and together we put together a kit for a tiny fraction of the price that was plenty adequate. (foreign boat - no Cat 1)

A few years back we ran into a guy who had been "sneaking" arond the world for 14 years. just got sick of clearing in and out.

The reason why Cat1 reverts to Cat 2 is that you have time expiring equipment on board and these need to be checked each time you enter Cat1.... AND, that you have not removed any items just because you obtained Cat1 once. I am sure a few unscrupulous given the oportunity, would borrow a mates Liferaft, pass Cat1 and then return the raft before they set off. Thankfully we don;t have anyone like that here as "crew" members. :wink:

Customs checked the serial # and expiry date on all the equipment the last 2 times I sailed out of NZ. So Cat 1 equipment must be on board.

A few years back we ran into a guy who had been "sneaking" arond the world for 14 years. just got sick of clearing in and out.

Having sailed into Oz, I can't see how you would sneak in there, or here for that matter. The coastguard planes over there and the air force here seem to see everything.

Having sailed into Oz, I can't see how you would sneak in there, or here for that matter. The coastguard planes over there and the air force here seem to see everything.

This was late last century. He had just covered East coast of Canada, US, Caribbean, Central America and was in Mexico, was on his 2nd circumnavigation.

Having a boat that doesn't look capable of ocean passage making would probably assist the international sneaky sailing types. What was that description, 4 kerosene tins strapped together?

Cat 1 flares around $600.00 + -. A flare gun as available in the states (Google Orion flare launcher) would be much cheaper, but the only ones available here are European made ones imported by RFD and I think they are around $900.00 without flares. Cat one is only valid until your first foreign point of entry, it then reverts to cat 2. You will only have the have it redone if you return to NZ as it is a NZ certification and isn't enforced by anyone else. So you can sail any where within NZ's 200 mile zone which extends from the Auckland islands? to 200 miles north of the Kermadecs not sure as to how far it is from there to Tonga but that would be the distance / time that your cat 1 would be legally needed / valid for. As a lot of it is based on the needs of an offshore racing yacht with crew the medical gear is to cover almost any eventuality, even a (pregnancy testing kit) It is far and beyond that most cruisers would carry, and of course along with life raft and inflatable life jackets it all goes out of date seemingly very quickly. Not sure if you would need it if you wanted to sail to the Chatham's as I think there is a gap in the 200 mile limits??

Archived