Barfoot & Thompson Shorthanded Series - Big Cash Prizes

Fish

..or if we're up against some of the heavier larger boats where crew weight isn't such a factor.

Ahem! And who are you referring to? :wink: The Ant gets a bit sensitive when the word fat gets used :lol:

I guess you'd be hoping for around 5 knots of breeze then?

The Ant fat?? Might be because she needs a run off the marina mate..... :lol:

Some people like curves.... :shh:

Well with Metvuw looking like 15 - 20 you can bet I wish I could be out there! Still I'm looking forward to seeing Timberwolf fly past!

Come on... you know you want to :wink:

I seriously don't rate us if we have to go on the wind or tight reaching. WT is a different boat without 400kg on the rail. Will have some leecloths made tomorrow to keep everything off the floor, and our pilot seems pretty frisky so things should be in order in that dept. I hope we don't destroy any sails! Think the furling Code 1 will be seeing a bit of action this weekend though! Seems to go ok on the end of the canted prod.

Well with Metvuw looking like 15 - 20 you can bet I wish I could be out there! Still I'm looking forward to seeing Timberwolf fly past!

We are still up on the hard getting the antifoul redone so we will miss the first race but we are going to do the rest of the series.

I hope there will be some other multi's coming out to play.

Changed - the wedding is on Waiheke (far end) where the missus has hired a bach for Fri night. Try getting from Waiheke back to Westhaven and up to Gulf Harbour by 10am? Unfortunately is not really an option. I was going to take the boat up today but I'm flat out doing a job for a client today and I'm on the 11am ferry tomorrow with flowers to pick up in Newmarket at 9am tomorrow. See where I'm coming from?

What a nice day for a sail. 17 starters!

At time of posting two finishers, course shortened to Haystack. Course was Haystack, around the back of Tiri to finish at Arkles Bay.

There looks to be two Boats still racing, in zero to no wind. One has a white genny up and looks suspiciously like Mr Changed.

Unofficial finishe times

Charlatan 2pm 08:52

Wild Thing 2pm 16:05

The kauri log is very happy.

And for the irony, I can't hear Weiti Patrol on VHF 66, but I can post to crew!

The old seadogs on Charlatan (Fish & Co.) sailed a clever race. For sure going north and as far out to see as possible was the pick of the day. We were doing exactly that but tacked back towards Haystack as soon as the first lot of breeze filled in thinking that was the sea breeze and we were off! But it only lasted 15 mins and then it was back to millpond again! So Charlatan got the next 15 min patch breeze before us and they were gone! We were catching them at the end but ran out of race. Didn't help that our CZ furler destroys furling lines like they're going out of fashion. 16 furls and the loop is rooted from chafe. So for a large part of the race we were hauling out beautiful new CZ around the forestay in the tacks. First time we've used the sail in it's ideal conditions, what a glamour piece of gear! Massive load on the rig though, we were easing the backstay, winching up the 2:1 halyard hard, then dragging the whole lot aft with the max amount of backstay we could pull. :twisted: Poor old girl....

Photo0313a.jpg

And for the irony, I can't hear Weiti Patrol on VHF 66, but I can post to crew!

Well done Fish & Mr Fish! Just goes to show that how you sail it is still the most important thing. Not sure what irony you refer to as once you were started we pissed off back to the club and left you guys to your own devices - as in the sailing instructions. There will always be a fleet "mothership" (apart from olympic courses) which was announced on our broadcast. Did you hear our broadcast before the 5 minute gun? I'd be worried if no one heard it which would mean none of you were listening, or your vhf was switched off, or our vhf isn't broadcasting.

Heard you were finishing at the Haystack. Mark from Barfoot & Thompson was stoked at the number of competitors out there and should be out there for the next one. I think he got photos of every boat at some stage when we were driving around. I'll post 'em up on http://www.weiti.co.nz/Photos.htm but it may be a few days until I get them so just check in from time to time.

Hi Mr Ant,

The irony was that I've been an i-phobe for a very long time but recently acquired an i-product. It's annoyingly useful and easy to do things like post on crew half way back from the Haystack, where as the technology I've relied on for years wasn't getting the message through. Think I was actually talking to the mother ship and not Weiti Patrol so my mistake.

Big thank you to Barfoot and Thompson for sponsoring the series.

It does seem that some boats had difficuly hearing on Ch66 at times, including a certain member of the Race Committee. I understand his excuse was JH was snoring so loudly he couldn't hear his VHF. It was also noted that those on certain lump of Kauri could hear us loud and clear when we were threatening to pull the plug. Could be atmospherics but this is one of the small issues we will investigate and try to improve on for next race

Well it must have been a nice day out even if the wind didn't really play ball. Glad you have joined the 21st century Fish! Good things eh!

It was really nice out there and the size of the fleet was a good step forward for both Weiti and GH. We had our VHF on before the start, but our minds and ears were on trying not to hit people rather than on what was happening on the radio. Might be worth repeating any announcements just after the start when everything is settled and quiet on the boats. Thanks to the town boats who can up for the day also.

Archived