Barfoot & Thompson Shorthanded Series - Big Cash Prizes

Fish

yep awesome day.

started with the no 2 self tacker thinking the wind would fill in - which meant it immediately dropped following the start.

swapped to the no 1 after the platu slam dunked us and left us behind. then went left after watching all the boats standing up straight on the right. left looked great - but wasn't. like wt we did some major catch up around the back. then a nice 2 sail back to gulf harbour.

platu had a blinder well done.

The couple on the Platu really had a blinder yesterday, they deserved to win. Kirsten J also did really well to be where they were at the end of that long beat. It was nice how the fleet condensed around the top end of Rangi and everyone had a fight on their hands to work with the tide and the patchy breeze. Prozac was trying on some pretty tricks with us just off home bay. They had a symmetrical kite up, and us a MH gennaker. They were trying to luff us way up into the beach! Had no chance to sail as high as us, and we were a little faster anyway so we lost a bit of time getting past them.

Glad we managed to sneak past the crafty seadogs on Charlatan. Every race they are right there at the top giving everyone a hard time. I can’t believe they can get that boat going the way they do. Talk about making our racing hard work!

Cracking days sailing, it's amazing how Barfoot & Thompson manage to organise perfect sailing weather each race...

Had an absolute blinder on the windward leg, then promptly squandered it all putting up the wrong sail through Motuhie for the downwind work.

Did our usual trick of tacking off hard left buy ourselves. Stayed on starboard from the start all the way into the Rangi shore, plan was to catch the land effect with wind curving around Rangi, worked a treat lifting into Rangi big time, tacked, then lifted around Rangi past the light. Had some short bad tacks staying out of tide, fishing boats and a large freighter... But made it around Flax point first and with a comfy lead.

At this point I decided it was a good time to screw things up by putting up the gennaker instead of the light kite. I was hoping for tight reaching across the south side of Rangi and through the Motuhei channel, and again up the Rakino Channel, and hopefully carry the gennaker home with a tight reach all the way back to Gulf Harbour.

As soon as I got the genny up the wind shifted 30 degs... And kept on backing all the way round to Rakino Channel, of course I forgot about the land effect all the way around the back after using it well coming in to Rakino.

Had First Priority and Planet X sail straight through us, followed quickly by a very sharp Craxy Sexy Cool, Prozac ( the other Birdsall) and of course Wild Thing giving me some gennaker envy...

Managed to hold on with a beam reach back to the finish for a 5th on line and 3rd on handicap. Very happy with the result and a cracking days sailing.

Big ups to Kirsten J for a convincing win and the little Platu for a close 2nd.

Thanks to Barfoot & Thompson, and the start boat guys. Looking forward to the next instalment on the 9th December.

10 am start 9th Dec off GH.

SI's here

http://weiti.co.nz/NoR_Pages/2012-2013/ ... &%20SI.pdf

Philstar can comment on launching at GH, a break water was put in recently so it's much better than it was I understand. The best all weather ramp is at Weiti, including pontoon for hanging about on.

There is an amendment with a shorter course on it, courses 9 & 10, either Tiri Ch Navy bouy and the northern yellow long bay marine reserve marker, direction depends on the course #.

I prefer launching at gulf harbour these days as I don't have to deal with the tide. A ross 780 with the cb up has the underwater profile of a frisbee meaning weiti river with a couple of knots of tide pushing me side ways just gives me the shites these days.

The only thing one has to deal with at gulf harbour is the hordes of fizz boat nasties requiring pretty firm negociating skills as they have difficulty understanding that a 28 foot yacht with a 2m prod takes up twice as much space as a 14 foot tinny on the ramp and pontoons. The trick is to send "she who must be obeyed" onto the pontoons and be firm but polite.

apart from that the break water works well, there's loads of parking and the floating pontoons makes it dead easy to launch. The 10am start means I'm launching at 9am which is a pretty good time on the ramp.

I change the instructions etc on the website when I'm sent them... I also put results up when I'm sent them. I got the results yesterday but seeing as I'm out of town this week it will have to wait until I'm back on the weekend. Glad you guys had fun out there.

I've checked the standard SIs, the new SIs, the amendments to the SIs, the amendments to the amendments, and the year book, all I could find is a reference that the handicapper prefers Appletons over Mt Gay :lol:

Besides, I've seen Wild Things handicap, he's going to need more than an A2, unless he gets three of them, made out of dacron, and stows them at B max :thumbup:

Looks like we'll have a 10 knt SW for the race. There was a risk it'll be a drift-athon again. I was hoping for a good old fashioned 25 knt SW, a bit more like Friday. We can really get the kauri log to pick up her skirts and go for a romp then. Have to wait and see. I guess if its another sub hull speed race it'll also be another sub planing speed race for WT and we can defend our points lead a little longer :D

Don't think we'll be able to touch WT with 20 knts downhill, especially with the new A2. Might have to dig the big heavy runner out from where ever it is in the fore peak and see how long we can hang onto it two up :?

Looks like we'll have a 10 knt SW for the race. There was a risk it'll be a drift-athon again. I was hoping for a good old fashioned 25 knt SW, a bit more like Friday. We can really get the kauri log to pick up her skirts and go for a romp then. Have to wait and see. I guess if its another sub hull speed race it'll also be another sub planing speed race for WT and we can defend our points lead a little longer :D

Don't think we'll be able to touch WT with 20 knts downhill, especially with the new A2. Might have to dig the big heavy runner out from where ever it is in the fore peak and see how long we can hang onto it two up :?

I was hoping for flat water and about 4 knots of wind! We’re an 8.6m shorthanded weapon according to our handicap, so I thought we better get some more sails to justify the number! Although these races seem to be 70% of the time spent on working sails, so we have a righting moment and LWL problem here, and a new A2 won’t help us…. So nothing to worry about from us results wise. We're mid fleet on corrected and when the rest of the fleet drop their DNF, we’re toast!

Not sure if we'll be able to make the next couple of races for this series. Decided we’ll do bay week so logistically it’s a bit of an ask to have the boat back in time.

So just to confirm. Sundays race starts at 1pm right?

Sunday 1pm.

Start line to be mid way between GH and Weiti, somewhere in the vicinity of Little Manly & neither of the start lines in the SI's.

Sounds like its likely to be either course 9 or 10, which is either - start, Long Bay Marine Reserve yellow marker, the northern most one, Tiri Channel Navy Bouy, finish, or the other way around.

We have really enjoyed Bay week in the past but aren't doing it this year due to family committments, and yes, getting back for that race 5 would be a hassle.

I heard a rumour we might have close air cover on Sunday.

I was hoping for flat water and about 4 knots of wind!

Damn! Blistering barnacles and thundering typhoons! :twisted: :twisted:

Just checked the forcast, according to both predict wind and metservice, your going to get your 4 knts and flat water :evil: :evil:

Tricky race yesterday, good conditions for us though! We had a nice start pretty close to the line with speed and clear air. As expected we were run down pretty quickly by Planet X and Glory Days and then the First 35. But managed to drop into the 35’s quarter wake and get a tow out to Navy buoy. Then the wind packed up in Tiri passage. Perfect for us to sneak around on the code zero and we managed to hang onto it long enough on the tight reach home to get back into to some of the larger boats. 3rd on line and 3rd on corrected for us. Nice days sailing. Cool to have Rob and Phil up in the plane taking a few pictures. Quite a novelty to have an aircraft flying directly towards you at about 100ft off the water :D

Archived