cavalier 30 peterson

hi im looking at buying one of these, it will be my first yacht just wanting to know if it will be a good boat, wanting to go cursing around just me an partner, tried to find info on net but not much there

any pros cons with this type

any help would be great cheers

you'll enjoy cursing around on this boat, you'll curse it black, you'll curse it blue, you'll certainly curse it down wind and you'll no doubt curse the IOR influences.......so saying, if it floats it'll get you there, IOR were a bit like that

pros: very strongly built, at least one cav30 that I know of has sailed to the islands and back, can be had for a pretty good price and sail resonably well on all points of sail in most conditions also can a cruising size payload shouldn't affect performance much.Hull form means you can sail upwind in pretty much any weather conditions, comparatively heavy displacement means they are resonably comfortable in a seaway. Masthead rig while a pain for racing because of all the headsail changes, when combined with a roller reefing headsail means you can carry the small main for a long time without reefing to often.

Can be had cheaply.

cons: tucked in stern can make them a rolly sun of a bitch downwind in a blow and restricts interior space somewhat.

Tumblehome can be a pain coming into a dock. Hull form and heavy displacement means they are never really gonna get up and go no matter how hard it blows but probably not an issue for cruising. At the age of them unless its had a refit the standing rigging and sails are probably past their used by date.

hope that helps

if the expensive bits are in working order (rig, hardware sails, motor) that looks like pretty good buying to me. No pics of the cockpit and deck which if ply might be in poor condition.

The good thing about IOR shapes is they generally go upwind not too badly, which will get you home into a SW'ly. Yes they roll downwind, so don't push it too hard and don't sail dead down wind in a blow. No, they don't 'get up and go' but no $18k cruising boat with reasonable upwind performance ever will

they roll alot if you run flat under kite in strong winds (over about 18 knots), i haven't sailed ravens but imagine from looking at the underwater hull shape they would do it a bit too, plenty around here that would know about that.

Most guys while cruising just run on a bit of an angle to the wind and of course wont have a kite up in strong winds, a ploed out head sail steadies them up nicely.

Come on guys flat off in blow is not trouble as long as you strap the kite down.

Lower the pole and put a tweaker on the sheet at the side stays, move everyone aft.

For more stability throw up the blooper. :D :D

Try this.

http://www.gulfgroup.co.nz/ggmb/invents ... _code=6176

I went aboard this boat recently. Never seen a mast so well held up. The baby stay continues through the middle of the V berth, I'd take it off unless I was going offshore. The head is a bit strange, being right up behind the forward berth under a ply cover. On the plus side she seemed very strongly built and felt to me (without actually sailing the thing) like she would sail well to windward. I stand to be corrected on this. I thought the pinched in stern was very attractive and while it might take some skill to control any rolling dead downwind, wouldn't that be made up for by the fact that they would be less susceptible to broaching in a big following sea? Again, I bow to anyone with more experience with this design. I looked at her and weighed it up price wise with an H28 and decided the Cavalier was a better buy. Hope that helps.

Looks like a hell of a deal for $18K.... What's wrong with it??

the guy who owns it is 80 years old and had a stroke he cant even get aboard it, the deck needs a bit of work and has not left the marina for 2 half years so needs maintenance done

Looks like a hell of a deal for $18K.... What's wrong with it??

the guy who owns it is 80 years old and had a stroke he cant even get aboard it, the deck needs a bit of work and has not left the marina for 2 half years so needs maintenance done

If the maintenance isn't outrageous, then it still looks like a deal!

Nah, they're easy down wind. I've seen them roll with both boom & pole getting close to the water for extended periods. Just keep it strapped down and hold your nerve and if it does wipe out it only flaps about a bit and off you go again.

They seem go handle it a lot better if you've got a rum in hand also.

Archived