We did it

Huge congrats!

I can remember watching the Doc in this trying to luff Alcatraz (the Grant Firth winged thingy, before the supersize treatment) through the gap between Whangarei heads and that tiny island (Aubrey??) at the start of a Sail Rock race sometime in my youth. I cant remember the eventual finish, other than they both beat us home by quite a bit. I was onboard the Lidgard 42 Renown.

Pretty sure she's a quick boat/ship/love interest.

Enjoy!

Just got internet and read this thread. WOOOOHOOOO!! Well done David and Angela. A real Kiwi Gem. Can't wait to see her in the flesh. Looks like a real flyer. So pleased for you both, and the smile will stay on your face for a while mate! It only seems like yesterday that I bought the Marshall, and I'm still smiling despite the big hole in my wallet!!

Nice job! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

While no major upgrades are on the list until it is paid for, that hybrid setup someone linked to looks seriously cool for this beast. Before then I would want to got the on board power generation up to where I don't need the engine for electricity.

First replace all bulbs with LEd's, then 12 v fridge as discussed, then assess necessary increase in solar output and wind gen if necessary (wife doesn't like the noise). The plan is the engine is only necessary for motive power.

... and wind gen if necessary (wife doesn't like the noise).

You need to come listen to our Superwind wind generator. Very, very quiet. Wife might not mind the noise .... problem is, husband might not like the price. ;)

I believe they are a lot better than they used to be. One advantage of being poor for a while while we pay for the boat is that we will have plenty of time to evaluate any changes before leaping in boots and all. Perhaps that will include a pleasant evening at anchor close enough to Seaforth to check the noise level :D

If you can afford them the thin flexible solar panels would be sweet to hang off the lifelines and with the length of her you ought not to have too much trouble getting amps in. Mind if you use the usual panels in this way they can double as tables at night! :D

What sort of efficiency are they getting out of the thin flexible panels these days Bbay? My understanding was that these panels were less efficient than the rigid panels, but things may have moved quite a way since I last had a look at this type of thing.

She has a single large fleible on the top of the hard dodger, says it keeps the batteries full on the mooring, but i doubt it is intended to run much in the way of systems.

We've been looking to add more solar to the cat, and the flexible panels will work best for us on the cabin top as we can walk on them. As I understand it they are more tolerant to shading.

They are more expensive and certainly larger (therefore more inefficient per m2) than equivalent watt rigid panels. Will cost us about $2k for an additional 280w compared to about $650 for rigid are about twice the size of rigid. But we have the space, but I do need to walk on it when lowering the main - so this looks the best solution for us.

I figure 560w should give me around 120-150ah per day on average, about right to run all systems (we are set up pretty efficiently) except extended autopilot use (ie offshore). In that case I am looking at a towed generator.

I don't actually have any as yet! I've researched some from Oz that gave 90 watts about 1200 by 7oo and only a few mils thick. In other words about as efficient as the normal good panels, somewhere around 18%. They have some that were around 23% efficient at quite a cost. I love the way the normal panels have dropped in price.

Archived