Spring Regatta & Gold Cup Race 1 - Sat, 22 Sept

Richmond

Sorry, my ignorance.

But, the photos on the Richmond web site make good viewing, numbers 88 thru 109 with comments at 109 are more eloquent than my words.

The link is above.

Orion, no ignorance on your part, yes HnF did find themselves in a tricky spot near the boat end, tacked on to port and left us on Nosaka with nowhere to go in order to avoid a collision with them. Left us in a very bad spot head to wind and very slow tack onto port, with Akatea coming in pretty quick. We were glad they managed not to t-bone us as they must have realised what was happening a bit too late and not been able to see HnF's tack.

Does anyone have a comment on the start where a sports boat tacked onto port because they were early, tide comming in and they had locked themselves into the corner alongside the start boat?

40 and 50 footers going this way and that to avoid the carnage.

I was not impressed that the sports boat expected everyone to avoid him after such bad judgment.

Note I was in a later start, made no difference to me.

Sure you were a late starter?? But just kept on going on and on about it in other threads , seems to me a stupid and big amount of different sized yachts at a badly set up start line ,With tide,wind etc.I think we should ban sports boats ,or anything smaller than 40 feet, sorta can't fit in with the 50 footers swinging there di@ks.

Fair enough HnF, now,

Any word on the protest outcome please?

Or can I study the decision somewhere please?

I'm just waiting on the written report from the Protest Committee then everything will be posted on the RAYC Gold Cup page.

Thanks for your patience!

I started with the dark blue flags, Prod.

This is the only place I have made comment.

Yes, a poor start line for going up

Rangi channel, ok for Motehi.

Yes, mixing big and small boats will lead to this kind of event.

Thanks for your opinion.

This is what happens when racing. The committee has done nothing wrong. The skippers started after judging for themselves what was safe, it seems to me Akatea went blundering into the fray without taking into account an escape route, as did HNF when they re-entered the start line.

Tell me, not one person flew a protest flag, no one yelled I'm protesting. How did these protest even get off the ground?

I've had protests thrown out on both counts. If you are close enough for contact you are close enough to verbally inform the other.

Racing Rules of Sailing Part 5a

Rule 61.1

"if the incident results in damage or injury that is obvious to the boats involved and one of them intends to protest, the requirements of this rule do not apply to her, but she shall attempt to inform the other boat within the time limit of rule rule 61.3."

So basically if there is clear damage there is no requirement to fly a flag or notify within any time limits but you shall still attempt to.

Thats how the Protest with Akatea still went through and i beleive because it was seen as the result of one incident the protest went ahead.

Thanks MM,

Some yrs ago at the Bay of Islands, I was hit in Starmaker, my 1020 when rounding a mark. I put up a flag but did not tell them I was protesting. The Pushpit was visibly damaged.

So I will store that bit of info for another time.

That covers HNF and Akatea protests, but what about the others?

Yeah we found it out in the room when we got a port starboard in the old piedy with a Tracker, and were too busy saving the mast and checking if we were sinking to fly a flag... The protest committee told us of that one and its quite handy. Same with the TWU crash. Sometimes notifying of a protest comes second to sorting the mess out and gets forgotten.

Flew the protest flag and hailed when we had our little Port - Starboard in the Simrad 60 recently. Thankfully we didn't have to follow through as the other party retired from the race and has since fixed all damage. A real gent! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Archived