Hauraki Singlehanded Series

Richmond

Magnificent series + boat broken = Bugger :cry:

Should get out for the second half of the series though.

2/3rds of the races are after the holidays...

4.1 Racing Schedule:

Race Date Club Event

1 14 Oct 2012WBC SHS 2

2 4 Nov 2012 RYC Singlehanded Race (race in C div)

3 25 Nov 2012BBYC S/H Series 1

4 1 Dec 2012 RYC Destination Series #2

5 2 Feb 2013 BBYC S/H Series 2

6 3 Feb 2013 BBYC S/H Series 3

7 15 Feb 2013RYC Destination Series #5

8 8 Mar 2013 SSANZHighway 1 (Auckland to Whangarei)

9 10 Mar 2013WBC SHS 5

10 6 Apr 2013 RYC Destination Series #6

11 7 Apr 2013 RYC Destination Series #7

12 13 Apr 2013DYC Singlehanded Race

Magnificent series + boat broken = Bugger :cry:

Should get out for the second half of the series though.

2/3rds of the races are after the holidays... And two social weekends included!

4.1 Racing Schedule:

Race Date Club Event

1 14 Oct 2012 WBC SHS 2

2 4 Nov 2012 RYC Singlehanded Race (race in C div)

3 25 Nov 2012 BBYC S/H Series 1

4 1 Dec 2012 RYC Destination Series #2

5 2 Feb 2013 BBYC S/H Series 2

6 3 Feb 2013 BBYC S/H Series 3

7 15 Feb 2013 RYC Destination Series #5

8 8 Mar 2013 SSANZ Highway 1 (Auckland to Whangarei)

9 10 Mar 2013 WBC SHS 5

10 6 Apr 2013 RYC Destination Series #6

11 7 Apr 2013 RYC Destination Series #7

12 13 Apr 2013 DYC Singlehanded Race

The webpage for the Hauraki Singlehanded Series is now up on the RYC website and the early entrants are listed. Good on Cool Change, Crocodile, Latitude, and Elysium for getting in at first chance. For more information and useful links:

http://www.richmondyc.org.nz/information.php?info_id=40

So far it looks like a small boat race in the extras division and a clash of the 40ft'rs in the no-extras division.

The first race is at WBC this Sunday - entries can be accepted up to 4PM on Friday to include this race as part of the series results.

See the the NOR (http://www.richmondyc.org.nz/siteadmin/uploaded/2012-2013/Hauraki%20Singlehanded%20Series%20NOR_2012%20to%202013.pdf) for more details.

So, we're first cab of the rank - so to speak. Bloody well done for organising this. :thumbup:

Watching the Sunday weather intently - right now it looks like a mission; would be game if I had an indication of what Weiti sails in...?

Judging by winter racing, anything up to about 25-30kts

Bryon, can you please explain the different series and individual races a bit better, ie which ones are harbour races and which ones are longer.

Are the richmond destination races longer and planed to end up at an ancorage for the night?

Bryon, can you please explain the different series and individual races a bit better, ie which ones are harbour races and which ones are longer.

Are the richmond destination races longer and planed to end up at an ancorage for the night?

I'll do a general gist here, I'm in the process of putting this sort of information on the RYC website in support of the series (for planning):

R1: Weiti SHS2 - day race, several courses to choose from (start in Arkles Bay, head out around the local islands and marks, end back in Arkles)

R2: RYC S/H - Single Day race, shorter Waitemata Harbour Course, no extras (good intro to s/h racing)

R3: BBYC S/H series 1- no NOR yet, anyone have an idea from past years?

R4:RYC Dest Series 2 - This one is a day race from Westhaven to the local islands (often Motuihe) followed by a beach BBQ with other competitors (can arrange to get crew for the sail home out on other boats - I will try to arrange this for those that request it as the race approaches...)

That gets us to the end of the year...

R5 and R6: BBYC S/H series 2,3 - singlehanded weekend - two linked day races with a social event that night I believe, starts near Bucks and ends at the local islands, return the next day

R7: RYC Dest 5 - longer (25nm) Fri night race to the bottom end (or possibly Te Kouma in ideal conditions), chance for a crew shuttle via Orapiu ferry or other boats, parkup in the Waiheke Channel overnight and activities and a BBQ the next day, return is usually on Sunday after the Sat party

R8: SSANZ hwy1 - details TBA, but concept is a 66nm coastal race to Whangerei alongside the RYC Route 66 race, i.e. THE BIG ONE, big race, big party at the end

R9: WBC - see R1

R10 and R11 - RYC destination weekend from Westhaven up to Gulf Harbour area, with a race return the next day, social events with the Whangaparoa clubs that sat night

R12: DYC's day race around Rangitoto - a classic finish to the series and a great event

Hope that helps... More information on the races and other helpful information will be put on the RYC website over the next weeks.

Thanks for that. Sounds great. I certainly won't be able to do them all but should put my series entry in in case I can make enough to be in the series.

Another random leftfield question, I know its single handed but what age consitutes an extra hand. In other words it might be my only way to get a leave pass for some of the races to take one of my 3 boys, with me- all under 4 years old. Its a handfull for my wife when I bugger off sailing so taking one with me makes it a lot easier. They are more of a hinderance than a help on the boat.

Probably not allowed but worth asking.

Another random leftfield question, I know its single handed but what age consitutes an extra hand. In other words it might be my only way to get a leave pass for some of the races to take one of my 3 boys, with me- all under 4 years old. Its a handfull for my wife when I bugger off sailing so taking one with me makes it a lot easier. They are more of a hinderance than a help on the boat.

I'd let you. Good idea if you ask me. Perhaps under 5 is ok?

Thanks for that. Sounds great. I certainly won't be able to do them all but should put my series entry in in case I can make enough to be in the series.

It would be great to see you out there Josh. I'm sympathetic to your problem; however, that's one rule that can't be bent:

NOR: 2.4 A maximum of one person on board is permitted while racing

There are options for family-goers - the RYC destination series races are family-friendly with beach clean ups and games. In that case the family could meet up at the final destination via some means (ferry, other boat, other fully crewed destination series competitors willing to take stowaways, no guarantees though). The BBYC weekend might also have options. The SSANZ race ends in Whangarei and so a cruise back with the kids is a possibility.

Archived