Rena's Captains comments...?

any ship approaching Astrolab, like Rena as left Napier, passed, Mahia, East cape, Mayor Island (maybe?), and isn't there an island just south of the reef moto something all with lights, no excuse for not knowing where they are.

Anyway JP, I can see your point of view and understand we you are coming from. Unfortunately it seems discussion and difference of opinion has no place left here. As I'm no good at and have no interest in the insults and calling names game I'm out of this discussion.

Can we agree to disagree? surely there doesn't have to be just one right opinion? :D :wave:

Can see your point Grant and understand where the limit of expense is.

All i want is to not see another Rena and since we cannot control what foreign crews do at least we can put some warning signs up and hope!

Correct Grant. Coming from Napier, you have East Cape, then Matakoa light, then there is a light on the end of Cape Runaway as you head away from East Cape traveling north and the next light/s are on the South end of Mayor Island and the North end of Motiti Island, with a directional light as the leading light for the Tauranga harbour entrance, which sits out close to the edge of the Pilotage limit. As we have all said, Astrolabe reef is just one of many hazards out there. Any ship approaching that area needs to have careful consideration for all of them, but even leaving the hazards aside, any large ship needs to approach the harbor entrance in a certain way so as not to end up on the Matakana Banks immediately to the North if the harbor entrance. The channel is therefore marked and dredged to an angle of 209deg. To approach the harbour entrance at that angle means shipping needs to travel further north than Astrolabe. Sure, corners can be cut, just like they were, but the navigators on Rena should have known and I suggest would have known about all Hazards and reasons why they would normally steer to where they do.

I would like to qualify my statement however, that I have never steered any large Ship into the Port of Tauranga, or anywhere for that matter, nor have I had to enter Tauranga at night in my own boat.

So 30 pages later, 23 removed, I think it's safe to assume -

- there is a reef off Tauranga,

- a ship did hit it,

- some think that ship may knot have if there was a mark on it,

- some think it would have made little or no difference

Cool, done and dusted........................ or is it?

So 30 pages later, 23 removed, I think it's safe to assume -

- there is a reef off Tauranga,

- a ship did hit it,

- some think that ship may knot have if there was a mark on it,

- some think it would have made little or no difference

Cool, done and dusted........................ or is it?

an excellent summary comrade! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :D

(altho have to say I did enjoy the discussion along the way, and learn't a fair bit from it actually)

Yes Cam, while interesting in spots it was pretty apparent no one was going to change their minds and it was just going around and around rather than towards anything. Also some weren't reading posts accurately leading to Wa Wa Wa so why continue to draw it out I suppose.

Agree that in threads like that there can often be some good stuff and views that make you ponder even if they may knot change your mind or actions, at least they can make you think and that can't be all bad. I just hope people aren't so set in their ways or mindset they can see the good stuff when it's there to be seen.

Still needs a light a top mark and a radar reflector and possibly AIS as well.

If the fillopinnos can't read a chart on the chart table or refer 7 it how do you expect them to read the notices to mariners. That why most on their crediting schools for tickets have been disinfranchised, but the mariners from the passed have not had their tickets cancelled.

:idea: :idea: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Archived