New Picklefork...

Marshy

Hard to say, & may never know. It looks like the deck under the main beam may have buckled?

Was the rig tension much higher than before the refit?

Also there is no continuity in a lot of the laminate at the break, almost looks like the main hull was built in 2 sections & joined at that point?

Very sad, obviously a lot of work has gone in there in there since she arrived in country. As Scottie says though, it's not too bad to repair, best of luck boys, I'll try & get a bottle of Mt Gay down there once you get back into it!

Moral Support that is! :D

Well, proper Kiwi repair will do the job.

I heard the boat went ashore or got badly damaged at Lac Leman ... and the repair looks like they were more concerned with outside surfaces - and piss poor finish at that.

Also the rig is enormous, more than twice the length of the boat, which would set up some high loads.

Have done a little research on what model Biscuits Cantreau - it is number 3, BC4 has a nearly squared off main hull stern.

left to right: BC4, Full Pelt, BC3.

post-3088-141887213678.jpg

Hard to say, & may never know. It looks like the deck under the main beam may have buckled?

I didn't see the bow section but - yeh - definitely something funny going on there as well. Given that the deck is dished to accept the beam, this area is effectively 'post-buckled' so that most of the direct compressive stresses are probably out at the gunwales anyway. If it failed in compression first I think the hull would have merely folded (ala the AC boat many years ago) and you'd see crumple zones in the gunwales. This looks to me like direct tension failure at the sole due to lack of material with the hull section remaining initially stiff until carbon layups really started letting go very quickly. I think this is the reason it looks so clean at the break so as to appear like it was two segments spliced together.

Just my layman's view

Just had a look and it seriously looks like there was a join there, and there is no tearing of carbon or anything. Must have been one hell of a bang! And such a perfect cut, you would have struggled to do nicer with a chainsaw!

its very interesting with the continuity of the laminate and core around the break.

it is probably more interesting to see the laminate movement ( read failire ) in the bulkhead just forward of the break.

A term "tin caning" comes to mind having had a good external look at it.

think rig tension and the canoe body centreline being under tension'

then think a hindge point in way of the scollop for the forward beam

then think if you stretch one you must compress another

the bulkhead in the forwad portion of the main hull shows perfect signs of this to failure.

then we go back to the continuity of the failure around the main (forward) beam bulkhead

and think postage stamp

Nothing a bit of a talk with a smart fox, a good boatbuilder and a grinder and green tape cant fix

Any news on the boat? Is the main hull being rebuilt? Sad to see that happen to such an amazing beast.

Being rebuilt at Lloyd Stevenson Boat Builders by the new owner

Archived