Fees up with a jump

Old Girl

Study the map below.

[attachment=0]westhaven_swing.jpg[/attachment]

The 50 swing moorings take more room than the 150 odd marina berths on VWX pier and are hideously inefficient compared to the pile moorings also - the marina also loose one side of X to the dingy racks. If there is demand for space within the shelter of Westhaven (and they can't make it bigger cos the greenies would squeal) then you should probably be paying crap loads more and I suspect a commercial operator would turf you out in approx 5.4 seconds. It's unfortunate but swing moorings are very space inefficient - there are plenty spare moorings elsewhere v cheap but you are in for interesting dingy rides sometimes.

well said! :thumbup:

The 50 swing moorings take more room than the 150 odd marina berths on VWX pier and are hideously inefficient compared to the pile moorings also

Which makes you wonder why they need to charge so much for a regular Berth. Oh wait, that's right, because they can. All in all, Marina's everywhere in NZ are just huge cash cows. The cost of operation is a tiny percentage of what most operators grab with both hands from their Berth Holders.

The 50 swing moorings take more room than the 150 odd marina berths on VWX pier and are hideously inefficient compared to the pile moorings also

Which makes you wonder why they need to charge so much for a regular Berth. Oh wait, that's right, because they can. All in all, Marina's everywhere in NZ are just huge cash cows. The cost of operation is a tiny percentage of what most operators grab with both hands from their Berth Holders.

True and it is to pay there debts wheels.

They need the cash cows to pay for the losses the incur.

Debts incurred due to dumb investments and spending... IE numbers of staff and huge salary's .

As i said before -they see a marina full of rich mans toys and say...... TOO EASY!... ( THESE RICH YACHTIES - THEY NEVER PUT UP A FIGHT OR OPPOSE ANYTHING ... kAH CHING)

Maybe a private marina would help.... No silly me they will be greed too!

KM if you actually read my posts above with a little understanding you will see that we are in agreement :crazy: :crazy:

hope you read this KM :wtf: :crazy:

You said the mooring users are privileged - No they aren't. Boaties paid for Westhaven years ago.

You said Superboats were dead - Nope again with either visits or builds and some are now NZ residents.

You said Akl boaters need a union - we have the AYBA already.

Westhaven users are being raped to pay for Lennies grandiose plans, knot as that's what it cost to run Westhaven.

I can continue but I think you'll get my drift by now.

Yes JP I do try to read your posts most of the time. But that isn't always easy to do.

KM

I said mooring users that have 60 years of low rates subsidized by others are privileged.

I said superyachts do not come here like they used too it is a loss leader market the council has been lobbied to support and its income revenue is going backwards when boat numbers are compared to the past.

i said Auckland Yachties need to get of there ass and fight for what they want. If they have a union, as you say, then they should be sacked for failing to do anything proactive on this and many other issues. Same applies to YNZ whom, silly as it sounds to them, profits directly by keeping sailor numbers up and sailors engaged with yacht clubs! (AND NOT SITTING BACK WHILE ORGANISATIONS MAKE IT HARD TO AFFORD AND ENJOY THE SPORT)

and i think Westhavens construction was paid for by all taxpayers prior to one cent being raised from mooring income! therefore a big thankyou to all is required for providing yachties a place to berth. and All taxpayer should be gratefull that the marina has repaid its debt and not run at a loss or ever come under public scrutiny.

and yes you are being RAPED! but... you guys are an easy target compared to the poor fellas with out boats who live south of Remuera and only dream of yachts, rum, flying aeroplanes etc... yip its easy to steal from people whom appear rich and are tainted by large million dollar launches ripping up the harbour every weekend. :roll:

Remeber KM you to are part of the problem. every time you put your prices up then everybody down the food chain does and eventually the council has to ...as they buy stuff from a lot of locals and probably you.

it a big fiscal merry go round!

As i said to those wankers at telecom.

no worries mate you charge me heaps and i will add the costs on to my prices and i know you and everybody else buy my product so you will pay more and so on and so forth.

Why oh why can you knot read what is posted JP.

I did not say that I have had a mooring for 60 years, heck I havent even had one 10 years.

JP I may be older, but Old Girl means more than being old. Go look it up.

Like a lot of folk here I have totally lost any desire to read any more of your post JP. Once in a while you hit the nail on the head, but knot often enough.

I did not start this thread to get in to an angry state as I actually feel very lucky to have had the time I have had at Westhaven.

Sadly, no one else will get the chance to enjoy a swing mooring at Westhaven once I and others move on. So forget about putting your name down on a waiting list.

I take excepton to some of your stupid remarks JP.

Again I state, I did knot say I have had a mooring for 60 years.

Why oh why can you not read what is posted JP.

I did not say that I have had a mooring for 60 years, heck I havent even had one 10 years.

JP I may be older, but Old Girl means more than being old. Go look it up.

Like a lot of folk here I have totally lost any desire to read any more of your post JP. Once in a while you hit the nail on the head, but not often enough.

I did not start this thread to get in to an angry state as I actually feel very lucky to have had the time I have had at Westhaven.

Sadly, no one else will get the chance to enjoy a swing mooring at Westhaven once I and others move on. So forget about putting your name down on a waiting list.

I take excepton to some of your stupid remarks JP.

Again I state, I did not say I have had a mooring for 60 years.

over a 60 year period you have had the use of a mooring on and off. i get that! but you have had the benefit of a mooring in westhaven and the cheaper price that mooring offers.

OG i agree with you about the increase and the taking away of the mooring option. but you have to understand the other side of the argument that i and others are trying to tell you. This is how the council operate and while it is putrid to observe it is the reality we have to live with (AND WE GET WHAT WE VOTE FOR!... so the people / majority voted for this mob and that was not me as i was not here)

THE moorings are inefficient and reduce the marinas ability to accommodate other boats. the greedy council know they can fight an easy fight against yachties in the marina as they know there is no other option and they have a monopoly...... bastards!!!

Therefore you either go with the punches of fight them.

OG it is sad what is happening but don't take offence just because you don't like me pointing out what the council are up to and the fact i and others can see why they are doing it.

we don't agree but we can see their reasoning... albeit it is sales and money and not sails and Old Girls a honey!

while you have a valid concern there are others who want more berths and a marina that stays around as long as possible.

my issue is with people moaning when they are on a good wicket!

Where do you keep your boat JP?

i don't keep my boat any where i generally use other peoples. :thumbup:

but here,s one for the pool room... and no mooring too!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-m ... 587099.htm

I'll be more specific:

1) have you ever owned a boat, and when?

2) If you did, what type of boat was it,

3) where did you keep it?

4) What did it cost to Moor/store/ trail - whatever?

being in smelly welly, I dont actually know much about the Westhaven prices for moorings and things...

but it is an interesting phenonemon to me, that a few people always seem determined to use these forums to loudly broadcast what an obnoxious twat they are.

As for boat ownership being for the well heeled, I do recall an old(ish) survey of marina boat bowners, that found the 'typical' boat owner in NZ was a tradesman, who had the mortgage paid off (or close to it), and took a loan out on the boat he always wanted (or close to it).

That would still be fairly generally true in my experience. Altho it is a probably a bit debateable just what is meant by the 'typical' boat owner.

being in smelly welly, I dont actually know much about the Westhaven prices for moorings and things...

but it is an interesting phenonemon to me, that a few people always seem determined to use these forums to loudly broadcast what an obnoxious twat they are.

As for boat ownership being for the well heeled, I do recall an old(ish) survey of marina boat bowners, that found the 'typical' boat owner in NZ was a tradesman, who had the mortgage paid off (or close to it), and took a loan out on the boat he always wanted (or close to it).

That would still be fairly generally true in my experience. Altho it is a probably a bit debateable just what is meant by the 'typical' boat owner.

you need to get out more cam.... and be less rude about people that post things you don't agree with.

in context of how the council view marina berth owners i would say i am right about them being well healed

Anyway you need to walk on the Westhaven marina and you will soon see it is not like your welly marinas which, is as you say, a reflection of the tradesman type owner.

Bur even the tradesman with no mortgage is more middle class / rich than poor and living in a poor suburb.

Cam, I think that's why we react so much to the huge expenses of owing a boat these days. It used to be part of being a Kiwi. Easy access to the water and spending time with the Family. I think most of us older ones here would have many fond memories of fantastic summers on the water. It wasn't expensive even just 20yrs ago. Now it is becoming so expensive, many of us average earners can no longer afford it. And so we cry foul that our "Kiwi right" is ow threatened.

I'll be more specific:

1) have you ever owned a boat, and when?

2) If you did, what type of boat was it,

3) where did you keep it?

4) What did it cost to Moor/store/ trail - whatever?

i have owner and built many boats. all i will say is i enjoy sailing other peoples boats as MUCH they enjoy me sailing them.

the rest is my information and irrelevant to what OG IS TALKING ABOUT

Cam, I think that's why we react so much to the huge expenses of owing a boat these days. It used to be part of being a Kiwi. Easy access to the water and spending time with the Family. I think most of us older ones here would have many fond memories of fantastic summers on the water. It wasn't expensive even just 20yrs ago. Now it is becoming so expensive, many of us average earners can no longer afford it. And so we cry foul that our "Kiwi right" is ow threatened.

Totally agree wheels again OMG!!??

NZ is expensive in so may ways and the past is gone. I FEEL really sad for the current generation trying to afford what we took for granted. but...

Posting about it here may serve a self indulgent purpose but it just like a newsaper... once viewed it is just forgotten and useless.

about time the groups charged with looking after the sailors actually fought some battles to stop this kind of thing happening.

ABYC and YNZ take the money yet where are they on issues like this?

Seems to be lots of talk about the huge expenses of owning a yacht these days, and what happened to the good old days, well seems to me that there are plenty of cheap[ $20 a week or less] moorings available in and around Akl, just not in Westhaven, and there are plenty of cheap yachts too, if you want to cruise the gulf and are happy with small and old and slow , just like the good old days then you can do it for not a lot of money, and have just as much fun, its all in your attitude. We had a great time when the Americas Cup was in Akl in a $2000 boat, even tied up for the night by the Viaduct with the squillionaires mega boats! :lol:

Oh for goodness sake! It's HEELED, not healed. :roll:

Well heeled refers to being wealthy enough to have good quality shoes. Healed belongs in that other thread about the medical system.

Oh for goodness sake! It's HEELED, not healed. :roll:

Well heeled refers to being wealthy enough to have good quality shoes. Healed belongs in that other thread about the medical system.

GRINNER, :D ( not GRINNA). As the official "crew.org" spell checker can you please ensure that you spell check all mistakes by all people and refrain from targeted attacks on certain individuals! :crazy:

I've been thinking about this one.

I think the days of Westhaven marina as OG and probably many others remember it, are soon to be over.

It's just real estate. My guess is that it will end up as a bunch of ugly shitbox condos, with private marina berths, populated by big fizz boats and superyachts.

Your average white 30 ft sailboat wil have to move on. It's real estate, the same reason I don't live in Herne Bay - I can't afford the real estate, (and don't want to work that hard that I could, not worth it).

Did "boaties" pay for it initially? If you say so, but the current owners don't care. Will it leave everybody else with nowhere to go? Yes, but the current owners don't care. Will it have a negative effect on sailing in Auckland? - you bet, but the current owners don't care. Is the current manner in which they are evicting boats by stealth immoral and offensive? yes, but the current owners don't care.

What might change this? - a solid drop in population pressure for one thing.

The best solution I can see is redevelopment of Okahu Bay, So what YNZ AYBA and the clubs should be agitating for, is that such a redevelopment becomes part of a negotiated deal to hand Westhaven over to the developers. That might have an ouitside chance of success

Archived