Fees up with a jump

Old Girl

I said superyachts do not come here like they used too it is a loss leader market the council has been lobbied to support and its income revenue is going backwards when boat numbers are compared to the past.

Do you know where the cement jetty is?

That place has been full since opening. I had a bet that within six months of opening they would be adding another berth - I was right they did.

The super yachts are there. It did not exist as a marina facility for super yachts 3 years ago – it was a commercial wharf for the Golden Bay, Marsden Bay and a heap of fishing vessels.

When NZ held the AC and the turn of the millennium brought large numbers to NZ - That was a blip. A bit like using public transport numbers on the RWC opening night to prove a point about patronage falling off by 50%.

BTW yet another berth was added shortly after Hart's new boat arrived.

There is still a very steady stream of superyachts to auckland. Even throughtout winter there were plenty and as soon as the pacific season ends there will be a bunch more.

It seems that 95% of all visiting yachts under about 60ft don't come much past whangarei or gulf harbour.

GRINNER, ( not GRINNA). As the official "crew.org" spell checker can you please ensure that you spell check all mistakes by all people and refrain from targeted attacks on certain individuals!

JP, I'm not targetting you specifically, I didn't mention any names, I'm just letting everybody know that "well healed" makes no sense in this context and that the correct phrase is "well heeled" - relating to a comment on relative wealth. You're not the only one to make the error (may have been the first, but not the only one), it's like fingernails on a blackboard to me. Turn your paranoia chip down dude, I wasn't attacking you. Sheesh .... some people take things personally.

And by the way JP its GRINNA, not grinner. The origins of my username may or may not have anything to do with a facial expression or a generally sunny attitude. :lol:

Re Westhaven and current usage

Perhaps in 15 years a change but not before then, most marina holders have leases that run til then.

Okahu Bay won't happen, too shallow and not as central as Westhaven, that's significant in rush hour.

Anyone disagrees, ask yourself why WH gets 120 boats a Wednesday night and no other marina gets anything much. You need crew to race and a central location so crews can actually do a days work and get to a boat afterwards before a race starts.

Okahu Bay isn't as tough as the more distant marinas, but not as good and it has effectively no keelboat racing at all.

No substantial changes any time soon me thinks, other than the tender attentions of ACC bean counters.

Turn your paranoia chip down dude
+ 1,000,000,000

Anyone disagrees, ask yourself why WH gets 120 boats a Wednesday night and no other marina gets anything much.
I did ask myself and I replied, cause that's where all the yacht clubs are? And agree to what you said about Okahu knot happening. The new Orakei marina was 1st proposed and start work on 25 years ago. Can you imagine how long getting a RC for Okahu bay would take?

Someone somewhere is going to have to make more boat parking room in the Akl region soon. The people running all this aren't boaters so don't give rats bum about the ratepayer as all they can see is money flowing over the gunwales of superboats. Fine having SB's but the bread and butter is paid for and used by locals. I also suspect there is an element of Akl Shitty Council Organisations having a pud pulling match as in which one can spend the most ratepayers money the fastest on the most wankest toy. That includes 2 differing Shitty Council sub mobs promoting and spending ratepayers coin on 2 differing SB repair bases. The Akl Shitty Council is now in direct competition with itself and it's ratepayers. Knot their money so I suppose they don't care.

I don't know what you guys are moaning about. The new boat we are bringing home to NZ (slowly) is currently in Sydney in a marina and the fees there are horrendous compared to Auckland for a 48 footer. Should be home by Christmas.

I'd say get used to it - I don't know any marina that's getting cheaper to use. Boating has changed - who has time anymore to row out to the boat. People want to get to the boat quickly, out on the water quickly and home quickly. I still love sitting out on our swing mooring in Akaroa here in Banks Peninsula however to be honest if Christchurch had a marina that didn't fall apart it'd be in it in a flash due to the ease of use.

I do think though that yachting is not out of reach and only for the rich as some people are claiming. It's a cheap fun activity with plenty of cheap options if you are prepared to do the work yourself etc. My young cousin - 21 is currently preparing an H28 which he bought for 5k to head to the islands next season to go surfing. His budget for the boat preparation is 20 k and he will easily do it for that. eg borrow life raft for trip (box of beers). There seems to be a lot of moaning on this forum but just get hard and get out there and do it.

GRINNER, ( not GRINNA). As the official "crew.org" spell checker can you please ensure that you spell check all mistakes by all people and refrain from targeted attacks on certain individuals!

JP, I'm not targetting you specifically, I didn't mention any names, I'm just letting everybody know that "well healed" makes no sense in this context and that the correct phrase is "well heeled" - relating to a comment on relative wealth. You're not the only one to make the error (may have been the first, but not the only one), it's like fingernails on a blackboard to me. Turn your paranoia chip down dude, I wasn't attacking you. Sheesh .... some people take things personally.

And by the way JP its GRINNA, not grinner. The origins of my username may or may not have anything to do with a facial expression or a generally sunny attitude. :lol:

Fare enuff....

no paranoia Grinna just amused by the AMOUNT OF GRAMMAR THAT GOES UNCHECKED.

AS FOR GRINNER V GRINNA there is no such word on my spell check. :lol: :wink:

Growing up in state housing in West Auckland, boating was completely unattainable. And although we only lived a few miles from Pt Chev, for many years there was no way to get there. In fact, I never even knew there was a yacht club there.

I remember Westhaven being there when I lived on the Nth Shore - or at least - boats were kept there. I never dreamed that someone would let me go out on their beautiful yacht. So never even thought of going down there and asking.

Now, I am fortunate enough to not only sail, but own a yacht. We are only able to do this because we make sacrifices to afford it.

Boating is not only for the rich - but I agree that it is unattainable for those at the bottom of the heap. Some may manage a small fizz boat, but most never get to realise the reality of boat ownership.

Yet, there are so many boats in marinas, on moorings, and in back yards.

I think that many NZer's take it as a right to own a boat, and see it as part of who we are. I guess I just want to point out that to many, the unattainability of the dream prevents the dream in the first place.

M

As the cost of ownership goes up, the line of affordability also goes up. Those who are just making it now will be squeezed out. And will not like it.

Whether you think that owning a sailboat is expensive or cheap today is simply a matter of where you sit on the "wealth scale". All things are relative.

Westy was all moorings and as the marina fingers arrived they displaced the moorings. As mentioned previously the moorings were there before anything else was. But as also mentioned progress does happen so away they go. The total bitch in all this though it 3 fold, and it includes more then just Westhaven.

1 - A few to a lot of locals are being pushed to make one foreigner happy. There are pros and against there and it's a whole new convo.

2 - All good saying 'Bye Bye OG' but it would be far nicer and way less rude wankers to say 'OK OG we need your spot and you have to move. How about we shift you to....'. I am guessing OG got a basic 'We are taking your spot so f*ck off somewhere out of our face' letter. I say this as the Akl Shitty Council now runs all the moorings in Akl so it's knot like they can use the old cop out of 'It's the ARC knot us, go see them'.

3 - All this coin the Akl Shitty is now raking in will get spend on bullshit, knot stuff related to where it was generated.

Money grabbing rude bastards is the issue OG and we all have with this.

Growing up in state housing in West Auckland, boating was completely unattainable

I say bull sh*t. We grew up in a very poor state of affairs and we managed it. It's all about priorities. My old man traded an old bike for our first 'yacht' full of rot, sails were rubbish, etc. It got us on the water, we got laughed at but we had a lot of fun. We did that one up and traded it for a beach cat which I destroyed by sailing it so hard it fell apart. I think for the working class NZ'r it's obtainable still. There are plenty of cheap trailer sailers out there.

What has changed is expectations. We had crap gear and didn't care. Now with bringing my kids up and just starting sailing, you are expected to have a BMW X5, all the latest wet weather gear, a 6.5k opti, a 3 k trailer and a training RIB to pick the little brat out of the water when they get cold. Top that off with travelling around NZ costs, it's nuts.

Bringing this to a keel boat perspective, we keep our boat on a swing mooring that I bought for 2k and costs me annually about $ 300. Yes we have to row out to the boat but so what. Yachting is still obtainable to anyone with an income but you need to get crafty about keeping costs in hand.

A mate of mine is just back form the pacific and spent 12k for 7 months cruising in the south pacific for him and his girlfriend. And knowing him he drinks a lot of piss so that's pretty cheap.

The name of Grandpas boat was "cigarette money" according to my mum. Grandpops was long dead before I was born, but mum had stories of how his mates would grumble and nag about how he got such a nice boat while hacking up chunks of lung and tar. Meanwhile non-smoker grandpop would just sit there and smile.

For a smoker on here, do the math, pack a day at $10 a pack is a hell of a lot over a year, tag up 5 years savings if you quit and figure what sort of boat you could be in...

KIwi 303 you are dead right. It's sacrifice, being smart and not having to have the latest Johnny on the spot boat. I have been lucky enough to have the income to afford a very nice yacht, however actually the most memories of good times sailing I have is on our families old piver tri racing around the harbour with the leeward hull under water!!

I hear it all the time - "we need a 46 footer because the cruising guide says we do" A fella told me in Sydney that I was really taking a big risk sailing from Adelaide up to Sydney without having a chart plotter. I was polite but internally I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Funny enough paper charts still work!

Yep Southernman I agree. Boating is all about priorities and also the following of dreams.

Sounds like my early back ground was much like yours with home builds or do ups. Running up keep mostly being done with your own hands. Hard facts, work or dont enjoy.

For someone to say, no time to row out to a boat has got to be kidding. That same person will likely pay a fortune to sit behind a rowing machine to keep fit. Oh well all to their own. To me its a bit of a joke to say lack of time. One of my biggest joys is to pull back on the oars knowing or not what is ahead...........

Concur with the last few learned posters, it's all about priorities. If you want chartplotters, electric this flash wizz bang that boating isn't cheap. If you just want to go for a yacht you can very quite cheaply.

I think there is a lot of room for money to be saved - i.e. group buing of product, boat owners working together to secure a better deal on travel lifts. Deals can be done. For instance a box of beer to pull the boat for 1 hour during a quite period to clean the bottom.

We just managed to get an awesome deal on a storm jib here in Aussie by pooling with two other boats who also wanted sails. We decided we need a storm jib for the trip accross the Tasman!!

For me I think there needs to be some money spent on the shoal bay mooring area, I don’t know who should pay for this but they could make more money out of renting and I'm sure the mooring owners would pitch in something.

Currently its pretty bad, the ramp is very exposed. At low tide you have 50m of shallow water and breaking waves to contend with and have to walk the boat out over the mud (and occasional oyster covered rock) as its too shallow row or use an outboard. The ramp is slippery and has a large swell almost all the time from ferry wakes ect.

Its fine for race crews who don’t mind getting wet but I wouldn’t be able to load my wife and kids up easily for a quick sail, I would even be scared that I couldn’t get back in to the ramp easily if the weather turned. Not to mention getting everything soaking wet and putting the family off boating forever.

All they really need to do is build a break wall or something so you can load the dingy up without getting soaked and if possible also a little floating dock to make it even easier. This would make the whole area hugely more practical accessible and popular.

I for one would be willing to pay a lot more for a mooring in that area if this was the case.

I think the going rate is $50 per month, I would pay double that or more if it was better set up.

There is a big difference between what’s needed for a launching ramp for trailer boats and a dingy launching ramp.

Currently I have a mooring up the Weiti river which is where I keep my boat, this is great for just cruising, but I would love to be able to have it down here so I could use it more for rum racing and day cruises. Currently there are very few options available in town.

The cost of boat ownership is really the boat and running costs divided by the days used. So it gets cheaper the more you use it.

'The old days'.....

Times have changed, yachting is now competing with so many more things for the kids attention, Mostly electronic gadgets!.

Kids have changed (much softer...), prioritys have changed and people have less time , trying to get the kids into yachting can be hard especially if they have to get soaking wet to get to the boat.

Love the posts from SM and Kiwi 303. Too right.

I have gone the other way. Pay heaps for the marina, fitting as many toys as I can afford, and just sold the RIB that I chase the little brat around in his 3.5K opti that will soon be traded up to a 6K Starling. Yup it keeps me poor, and I could be doing it a whole lot cheaper, but it's my dream and I'm living it.. Could be mortgage free instead! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I just hope the little bugger appreciates what he is learning and experiencing, as the Opti fleets in NZ are awesome, but yes, it's not a cheap sport.. As long as he still comes into the beach with a smile on his face, I reckon I'm doing it right. If he wasn't out on the water he would be spending 10 times as long on the computer, that I can guarantee you...

I agree that it is still possible to sail on the cheap. You just have to lower your expectations....

Archived