Coastal classic updates

FYI Pretty boy still has a mast, just a jumper fitting let go at north head. Boat tucked back up at marina awaiting repair. But the old alloy spagetti still points skyward.

From No Worries

Coulda Shoulda ----didn't

Started with a reef and a jib at Devonport. Gybed, found a gap and went with a frac gennaker. Laid Rangi light by 100m 4th behind Truxton with reef, staysil and frac genn, Pretty Woman with Mh Genn and full main, and Squealer with reef and frac Genn. Then went for it. Under Squealer who were stuffing it, then over PW who were overpowered and struggling. Going into Tiri Truxton either had an issue or played safe and dropped their chute. We were going for it. Early 20s and under control but on edge. First in fleet out of Div 2 and 4 and well into the big boats. Then Bang and the transom laminate let go. Sails down and then Auckland Coastguard came to help. Many thanks to them.

Back next year.

FYI Pretty boy still has a mast, just a jumper fitting let go at north head. Boat tucked back up at marina awaiting repair. But the old alloy spagetti still points skyward.

Cool - sorry about that - one of your crew was here and I understood it a bit differently. I have changed it on the website.

Back from dinner (Oh My Goodness at GH - good quality cheap food).

Bump N Grind 2013

Been a bit busy earlier on - two sail reaching the whole way, max speed 18kn averaging 12+ for the first 6 or so hours, sitting in around 12 kn of wind 20 miles off Cape Brett.

Expedition Coppelia @ 2004

19 Miles to Brett, 20kn TWS 70 awa . 8 kn boat speed. Went outside Hen and Chickens. No extras in sight. All on our own.

The car carrier caught us on the start boat by surprise as well.

I knew it was coming but it was late from memory.

Having said that I was talking to Harbour control regularly which enabled me to speak to the pilot on board the car carrier as well.

The pilot very kindly slowed the vessel down and held it on station off orakei wharf until the fleet started.

He could have carried on but didn't, so thank heaven for small mercies.

If we had delayed there would have been issues with the departure from Chelsea wharf coming through the other way.

I take it back. Consideration certainly shown! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

And some updates from Zoe:

At Rangi Light, Triple 8 were doing 28 knots. That's impressive, right?

TeamVodafoneSailing passed them doing over 40.

Rob and Phil were an an aeroplane and couldn't catch Taeping, because the white 13.5m cat owned by Dave Andrews was going toofast.

Taeping did not get a good start - (Greg was asleep at the wheel and Russell forgot his stopwatch is the excuse provided)

It was all on when Ran Tan did a massive broach and Taeping was required to take evasive action.

But it all sorted itself out, and the boat departed Auckland under a reefed main, small jib and screecher, which they dropped and hoisted several times. Eventually two sailing into Cape Rodney, which they screamed past arriving in Bream Bay where they reefed twice anddropped their jib. (Video is coming of this part shortly)

At Bream Bay Taeping saw puffs in excess of 50 and it blew a solid 45. At this point the much bigger Triple 8 enjoyed the eheavy conditions and got away.

After Whangarei Heads it was champagne sailing, with 30 knots and flat water.

Halfway to Brett, the wind dropped out and Taeping hoisted its main right to the top of the mast, glided through the gap at Brett, reefed the main and went back to small jib, and sailed in to Russell.

Just like that.

We have a second race record to announce.

By virtue of it being the first time it is being officially honoured, Borderline has set a record for the Open 8.5 class, of 8 hours 59 minutes and 59 seconds.

Borderline finished the race eighth overall on line: an excellent effort for a small boat.

Borderline is owned by Andrew Potter and was crewed by Kevin Peet and Guy Hewson.

The 50 footers had an epic battle up the coast and into the Bay.

V5, which was one of the handicapper's two favourites, was the victor, finishing in 8 hours and 37 minutes. V5 is a Transpac 52 design with a great track record in New Zealand waters, V5's owner David Nathan and crew have now had a full year to get to grips with the big blue boat. V5 placed second in Division 1 in 2011 so this is a great result for the big blue boat.

Chris Hornell's Kia Kaha was the next to arrive in Russell, in 8 hours and 47 minutes, on Kia Kaha's first ever Coastal Classic, and Chris's 21st consecutive Coastal Classic. Kia Kaha smoked Wired - a 52 foot canting keeler - from Russell Point. Wired finished in 8 hours 55, and Georgia was another five minutes behind.

The Crusader 35 - a new giant slaying Elliott launched by Salthouse Boatbuilders very recently - finished in 10 hours and 2 minutes. Buckley Systems, the Class40 sailed by Ross Fields in the Global OCean Race, was just a few minutes after that, which marks great racing for these smaller boats

Last updates then I'm going to bed

Pzazz 8.15 Finishing now, amazing sailing, blast reaching at its best, sustained surfing at 16-20 kn

Pahi 2153 Changed to 1 genoa, few miles to Brett

Timberwolf - found the going very tough today. Far too much on to send reports sorry. Happy with the start and thought the masthead gennaker would hang in there a little longer than that.

We then blew out the fractional genny but only cos we stuffed it in. Spent most of the race with 2 reefs in the main and no jib. We saw max wind gust of 37 kn but at times the seas were just evil. We found it dangerous over 18kn in the nasty stuff. Peak speed just over 25 but to be honest this was a day about seamanship and finishing and we found it hard to pushthe boat to its full limit. It did not help at all seeing the Deeds over, my best wishes to Bobbi and Greer, it's never good but great to hear it is back up again.

We only survived that gust by seconds as we got our zero downjust in time as another 35 kn gust hit us. I thought the 50's had a blinder they were really screaming and I guess that has to be close to V% best ever time. We will get caned by racetrack for that race.

Just thrilled to finish, delighted to win div 7, we sailed well and Bryan and Klaus did heaps of sails up and down and changes but it was very hard work and nowI'm just broken. Hardly even felt like a beer and have already woosed off to bed.

Great effort by Crusader that thing really hauls and well done to Borderline for setting a new 8.5 record

The updates on this race have been awesome today guys, have hugely enjoyed the coverage, thanks to all those who make this happen. The videos to CO, freaking excellent!

Aw shucks :oops:

Here's what's happened overnight - in no particular order:

Crac a Jac - rounded Cape Brett at 3 am

Anonymous- worried about the man on all fours hanging off the stern of Starlight :lol:

From the website at 6.30

Crac a Jac, the second smallest boat in the fleet, skippered by Edwin Delaat (16) and Laura Dekker (17) is 'becalmed' and the only boat yet to be accounted for after Brett.

With the conditions lightening off considerably overnight, all others have arrived safely. 11 are recorded as withdrawing after the start.

At 0430hrs Domino 2 was delighted to report that there are no more Coastal Classic virgins onboard their boat. "Yay the girls, Tessa, Leith and Tracey," reports Tracey. "And the boys who forgot to bring their rum. Many thanks to all the great supporters and organisers for an exceptional event."

Thanks for all the great updates, Tracey!

Enceladus messaged in just a few minutes ago, that they had just turned onto starboart tack to the finish. "We ghosted across the bays for the last two hrs! Beautiful sunrise. Crew & boat good. Bruce" It sounds like Enceladus had some lovely moments on the water.

from fineline on their facebook page

Pretty windy for the Coastal Classic, lots of time with 30+ kts winds. We played it safe and got to Russell in just over 14hrs without breaking anything. A great ride but not a great result for us. Enjoying the sun in Russell this morning!

Archived