Blast from the past - What Class is this boat?

We came back in from a yacht* yesterday to spy this beast being rigged up.

Was done up by a superboat crew while here on refit.

It was built in 1948

It has a rotating timber mast (which was very very light)

Fancy dyneema strings in places but done discreetly

One on the wire and one driving

It has a centreboard that looks more like a surfing longboard :)

The boat is in what looks like 'new' condition. A credit to the rebuilders and it's current owner.

What Class is it?

Yes, the white spot on the mainsail is me making it knot a gimme ;)

* - In a frecking Javelin of all things. Had a ball and it was damn good getting back into one. Could do with a tad more fitness and flexibility though, moored boats make ya fat and lazy.

post-646-141887213036.jpg

1948... with a rotating mast? Is that original?

If it is it must be one of the older open classes, so either a 14(but they banned trapezes for ages, maybe this was the one that upset the applecart) or one of the first merlin's( too early for a rocket)

I'm going with an international 14

1948... with a rotating mast? Is that original?

If it is it must be one of the older open classes, so either a 14(but they banned trapezes for ages, maybe this was the one that upset the applecart) or one of the first merlin's( too early for a rocket)

I'm going with an international 14

Interesting you say that about the rig as we were thinking the same thing. But the mast base fitting is old, way old and everything else looks appropriate for the vintage bar a few things like dyneema ropes in spots and a chinese made fender for the aft flotation thingy.

Maybe when we, you, figure out what it is someone may know if they did have rotating rigs back then.

No knot a I14 but you are thinking along the right lines and the closet guess so far.

This Class is still active today. The boats have morphed a fair bit though ;)

Well done Master Marshy.

It's in spectacular nik and is being used today. That's brilliant and good to see.

Haven't the boats changed over the years. Put a 2010 generation next to this one and it would be surprising if most realised they were the same thing just drawn up 60 years apart.

post-646-141887213041.jpg

post-646-141887213043.jpg

post-646-141887213045.jpg

Archived