SSB repairs

So yeah, the SSB crapped out 3 days out of NZ... And we haven't been able to figure out what's wrong with it yet. Anyone know someone who's good with HF radios who could have a look at it for me? Either in the AKL or BOI areas, or anywhere in between for that matter. Chur. :thumbup:

Doesn't receive or transmit. Just dropped out when I was listening one night (right after transmitting successfully), and now all I get is white noise. Have isolated the issue to the radio unit itself, i.e. not the aerial, ground or tuner.

Thanks Allan, thats the first thing we checked, apparently the radio has an intermittent fault, possibly to do with the eprom's. Reception was brilliant.

It shouldn't be my earth as it is bolted onto a hull stringer (nice and clean) or if that is the problem I can use a KISS counterpoise I have installed, thay are supposed to be very good.

I don't know if you remember but I got some braid outer (lime green ) and ran a 5 sq mm sq. tinned cable up the inside which comes down to a ceramic insulator in the side deck and then to the tuner which gave us such good reception that I think it should rule out the aerial being a problem.

Hey guys

I have a SEA 222 NZ for sale.  $10 reserve.

In good order physically for its age but comes up with "Unlock" error when switched on so needs servicing before it can be used. 

On Trademe at:  http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=959586662

Video description: https://youtu.be/fA3pYK38pVw

Or reply directly (I'm in Wellington).

Geoff

Unlock error means the PLL is unlocked which means it has a fault in the Phase Locked Loop circuit. It depends on age of the unit, but PLL is usually all done inside a single chip. So possible faults could be the chip itself, or a poor joint in and around that part of circuit. In some circuits, the clock frequency can be set by a crystal Oscillator, which is a little we metal can with two legs. They can fail. If the 222 come up with an "unlocked" message, it will mean it has a fair level of sophistication. In other words, there is a device "testing and reporting" the circuitry. So a lot of the circuitry must be digital and it is quite possible everything to do with PLL is done inside on chip.

• Upvote 1

Erice - I've changed the auction to allow shipping to Auckland if you're happy to pay freight. 

(Also - thanks for the technical guidance 'Wheels')

was going to start you off with a bid

but the add says

buyer must pick up

and in wellington

i in auckland

thanks for that

further info for interested parties

http://forum.ssca.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11402

icon_post_target.gifby fairbank56 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:58 am

Yes, they can be reprogrammed. Iv'e done them many times. The two chips are on the main board (top of radio) under the metal shield. They are labled U22 and U23 and are not soldered. U22 is an EPROM and can be erased with a UV EPROM eraser. U23 is an EEPROM which is Electrically Erased. With an EPROM programmer, once you get the new chips, you could copy the data on them and then reprogram the old chips. U22, a 32K chip, contains program code for the microprocessor and factory programmed frequencies 8Mhz thru 22Mhz as well as channel 00. U23, a 16K chip, has space for scratchpad memory and factory frequencies 2Mhz thru 8Mhz. You can erase an EPROM in the sun but it can take up to several weeks. You must remove the label from the top of the EPROM to expose the window for erasure.