Box Rules

All sorts of stuff here.

Box rule.

The newest and most expensive are usually the fastest

Anyone remember Dennis Conner sailing his souped up R780 in the Under 26 Div at Richmond against the Trackers?

Legal but pot hunting

30 Foot Division

Overload/Deep Throttle against a R930???

35 Crusader

I am aware they have an extensive offshore and international campaign planned.

Soapbox time

What we really need is a revitalised KORC with a PHRF that takes into account measurements as well as results. Then we could all go racing knowing that if we had a good day we might be in the money. And One Design is happy doing its thing.

Guest mental outlook

It is able to do a whole lot more than your multi that is for sure. I believe the plan is to do offshore racing, and one is quite a large offshore race. The crew are a bunch of very experienced yachty's, I don't think they are out there to "test their sailing skills". I'd say it races against every boat 40 feet and over, although it seems that only the Ker/Ricki and above might be competition for it!

I give credit to the owner of Crusader, he has gone out and built a boat that shows what a modern race boat 'should' be, not some tarted up dug-out like most of fleet here in Auckland. It also showcases our design and boatbuilding skills.

If only more people would/could do the same.

You raise an interesting point (sorry for thread drift) - the owner of crusader built it to test his sailing skills and prove himself against ... who exactly? Will it be able to race offshore, RNI what's the plan?

Dunno to be honest. I think I can guess who it's Knot though!

It is able to do a whole lot more than your multi that is for sure. I believe the plan is to do offshore racing, and one is quite a large offshore race. The crew are a bunch of very experienced yachty's, I don't think they are out there to "test their sailing skills". I'd say it races against every boat 40 feet and over, although it seems that only the Ker/Ricki and above might be competition for it!

I give credit to the owner of Crusader, he has gone out and built a boat that shows what a modern race boat 'should' be, not some tarted up dug-out like most of fleet here in Auckland. It also showcases our design and boatbuilding skills.

If only more people would/could do the same.

All credit. But Crikey! Go easy on the rest of us who can't afford a brand new canting 35 footer hey!

How would you feel if I described your missus as "a tarted up dug out"? :D

ha, the spirit of this is tarted up doug outs. or tarting up your old doug out with some where to go

maybe it should be called the cougar divison

In the hot rod division the line was won buy overload, so yes they allowed development.

In the spirit of the rule would you allow a new overload, karma police? , or what about a waka?

or is this rearly all about fluffing the 930's

Seems there are about six different versions of what's going on here in this thread.

A box rule unfortunately always turns into an arms race, just has it has for the last 150 years. Those with the cash make the biggest splash.

Maybe the "rule" should be more about the spirit of utilising something older and tutuing with it until you've either broken it or beaten everyone who broke theirs?

To avoid the arms race you need a few rules like:

one hull

no carbon hulls

no boats newer than X years? This is a bugger because it stops new wooden or cheap-build but smart designs

no canting (but moveable ballast allowed)

no boats longer than 30'6"3/64ths (stem to stern)

unlimited sails

two bottles of rum

fluffy dice (nobody will invest serious amounts of money just to have the effect annihilated by fluffy dice)

I'd play :)

If we're talking Hotrods, I think the original rules should be kept and a race track rating applied for corrected time. Once i've got my ducks in a line I'll put soemthing out there as a starting point. Although It's important that we don't end up in a tail wagging the dog situation just to include a couple more boats in the fleet.

Seems there are about six different versions of what's going on here in this thread.

I'm not sure about six but I do see two clear themes coming out of these threads that could easily be reinterpretted as class divisions. Both of these appear to have the same goal of providing a mid sized racing mono class that suits the NZ attitude of tweak it till it breaks but within a box rule to control costs.

Div A - Box Rule only. This encourages new mono boats using the latest technology (carbon anything, floppy danglers etc)

Div B - Box Rule + restrictions. Minimum weight, no floppies, minimum cruising comforts etc

At the moment there are a number of fragmented classes or one offs that could be brought together as a single class and thereby encourage competition and ultimately increase participation while providing a transistion path to newer boats for those that can afford it. A mixture of line and handicap would keep the majority interested. Personally I think a concept like this has legs.

I have a very incomplete list of boats from the 2009 Hotrod division. If you'd like your boat to be included in the next incarnation Hotrod fleet then use this google doc to add your boat and contact details to the list of potential Hotrods. Please forward this link on to anyone who you think might also be interested.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjpSxM40nLU9dDNQSm1qbjk0V29tUDRua0ljbGp2clE#gid=0

Let’s work on the boats between 'SR26' LOA and 'Ross 930' LOA for the moment, and see how we go. Please list the boats mods' in a comment under your boats 'Year Launched' cell. You do that by right clicking on the date cell and selecting 'add comment' Try not to delete the sheet!

This is a publicly viewable spread sheet so anyone with the above link can view and edit its contents. The spread sheet saves itself automatically, so add your details and close the window for the next person to deposit their bit.

If you can't edit the sheet, then you might have to log in to some form of google account to do so.

I have a very incomplete list of boats from the 2009 Hotrod division. If you'd like your boat to be included in the next incarnation Hotrod fleet then use this google doc to add your boat and contact details to the list of potential Hotrods. Please forward this link on to anyone who you think might also be interested.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjpSxM40nLU9dDNQSm1qbjk0V29tUDRua0ljbGp2clE#gid=0

Let’s work on the boats between 'SR26' LOA and 'Ross 930' LOA for the moment, and see how we go. Please list the boats mods' in a comment under your boats 'Year Launched' cell. You do that by right clicking on the date cell and selecting 'add comment' Try not to delete the sheet!

This is a publicly viewable spread sheet so anyone with the above link can view and edit its contents. The spread sheet saves itself automatically, so add your details and close the window for the next person to deposit their bit.

If you can't edit the sheet, then you might have to log in to some form of google account to do so.

Fixed the spreadsheet, edit away.....

W.T. We are working on the organisation of the Akld-Tga race and we would like to know if there is interest in a prize(s) and trophy for this "box 30" class, depending on interest,of course, similar to the hotrod days. We are keen to cater for this type of yacht as we did for the hotrods.

The good thing about the hotrod division, was the mad keen "promoter" behind the division who wasn't afraid to get out there in press and in person, this guy revved everyone up who was involved in it and brought together in some way, the diverse group of people and their equally diverse vessels to form the hotrod fleet.

That would be great. Still getting all our ducks in a line behind the scenes, but will release a set of division rules and our general sponsorship package including 'Hotrod card' companies etc at some stage this week.

Thanks for the offer, we'll take it up.

Archived