Shock horror! Sexism in the VOR??!!

Bimini Babe

This is actually a good point. I thought you were saying they COULD compete evenly? I now have a different understandig of what you are saying, but now wonder why they would bother racing if they have less chance of winning?

Well I'm glad we agree on something. Or am I??? :wink:

I am under no disillusions about womens' disadvantages in a race like this. Strength and stamina will play a massive part - there is no doubt about that. But just completing... nay, even just competing in a race like this commands a huge amount of respect. All I'm saying is, don't throw that respect away before you even start by competing on an un-even playing field. There is far more respect in competing fairly and coming last, than in taking an unfair advantage and placing higher than you otherwise would.

Also... If people only entered races they were sure they could win, the London Marathon would be run by about 10 people, as opposed to 10,000. Sometimes, it's not all about winning.

My 2 cents...

1. Because life is not fair and many people have a problem accepting that fact.

This is not about the sport, this is about the event and the sponsors and what is best for them. Sailing is a male dominated sport and the sponsors of this event are unlikely to appeal to a large female audience. If they really wanted to do this properly, then they would allow a crew of 25 gorgeous blondes wearing only bikini bottoms. Read 1. above

There are very few sports where men and women can compete on an equal footing. They have to have separate divisions or races within races, as that is good for the sport. Women are just as competitive as men and love to win, but they couldn’t have two separate VORs as they can barely keep one going. So, hence the condescending offer. See 1. above.

Most men appreciate women for their differences and respect their achievements. Few males do.

Raise the shields captain. Flame retardants set to detonate…...

Remind me to stop calling you 'Beer Wench' on Wednesdays......

Would you prefer me to remind you with my foot or the back of my hand?

Hit him where it'll really hurt, give him warm beers

Remind me to stop calling you 'Beer Wench' on Wednesdays......

Would you prefer me to remind you with my foot or the back of my hand?

Hit him where it'll really hurt, give him warm beers

Hmm... perhaps hide all the lighters too... Mwuahahaha!!! (evil laugh).

If the female crews take longer, then they should place lower. Simple as that.

if you were a sponsor and about to hand over millions of dollars to a "Racing Team" would you give it to a team that you and everyone watching the sport knows will place lower and take a lot longer to do the race or a team that you believe has a fighting chance to win?

You cannot compare this to a marathon unless you are going to fund it yourself, it’s all about the sponsor and I bet a lot of people can name the last 3 or 4 teams that won the race but no one will know the teams that came third.

It’s all about winning

if you were a sponsor and about to hand over millions of dollars to a "Racing Team" would you give it to a team that you and everyone watching the sport knows will place lower and take a lot longer to do the race or a team that you believe has a fighting chance to win?

Um, yeah - if I thought they were going to get excess media coverage for other reasons... such as... um... being all-female???

You cannot compare this to a marathon unless you are going to fund it yourself, it’s all about the sponsor and I bet a lot of people can name the last 3 or 4 teams that won the race but no one will know the teams that came third.

Well, I'm a little far off being able to fund my own VOR team. I'm still working on funding my own, rather more modest goals. But if I were to fund a team, I'd be more concerned about how much exposure I was going to get. And an all-girl team, regardless of position, would probably get me a fair bit of that. What I would be particularly concerned about, however, is being seen as a big fat cheater, for not playing by the same rules as everyone else.

It’s all about winning

OK, who here can only remember the name of the winning team from the last VOR?

I think if a crew with 2 extra girls win the event they will be thoroughly deserving, and certainly not considered cheats. There are some exceptional female sailors around no doubt, I sail with a couple that have there C.V's in with the team right now.

The organizers are making the boats less physical all the time. But you just can't hide from the FACT woman are weaker physically and they will still be very physical boats to sail. I don't wish to sound condescending here as I have no idea what your experiences is of big boats or offshore but I would suggest that before you consider that it is sexiest that you spend a week getting drenched by waves and salt spray getting no sleep eating crap food and staking 80kg+water sails every tack and then tell us you would prefer to spend nine months going all the way with the same number as the boys.

The fact is being a one design the only two things you have to do to win is put the boat in the right place and push it as hard as it can go. The first one the girls can do just as well as any guy, the second they just can't do the same sorry not sexist just the truth.

Not expecting to win definitely doesn't stop people entering. People have entered in second hand boats from the previous event where they really didn't have a show winning. They still get sponsors, who still get coverage and it can be a worthwhile event for them. And as BB says, having an all women crew would probably attract media attention and therefore sponsors.

I like the weight limit idea mentioned. And while I'm no expert, I don't think that testosterone making men stronger when they are the same weight would be a problem, because while testosterone does make them stronger, stronger muscles are denser, and therefore heavier.

There is nothing sexist about the organisers of an event like the Volvo trying to make the race accessible to women, they are clearly trying to make the event more attractive to sponsors and increase the fleet numbers so they have investigated the issue and have proposed a solution.

Do you also have an isssue with the age rule...or is it simply a fact that without that rule it is very difficult for a young guy (or girl) to get on these boats

these aren't stupid people and the event works closely with yachties and I am sure they talked with meny of the top women sailors about how to make the event accessible to a womens team,,,I haven't heard any of the top women ocean racers complain about the provision and many have commented that they are trying to put a team together to enter

These boats have morphed into brutal physical machines and the rules re crew numbers have been written to keep costs down and are clearly at the limit of the power to tasks spectrum. Given the lack of women crews since these boats have competed clearly volvo after considerable discussion with possible entrants found this solution to be the best way forward. Nobody in their right mind would discount any women team because of the crew dispensation...you could equally say that the men are cheating because they have allowed a rule that disqualifies women.

If you look at all the great women ocean racers of recent times MacArthur, Autissier, Davies, Cafaari, Richards, they are all sailing shorthanded boats or multis where the systems and sail plans have a much lesser power requirement.

Go back to the old days when Tracey Edwards, Leah Newbold, Dawn Riley were sailing in this event, they were able to put enough crew on deck to safely complete a manouevre, they just got less sleep than the men (more male cheating?)

If the rule change gets more women on the water and entries into the volvo I for one will only be cheering for their success and until you raised it the thought that they were cheating would never have crossed my mind...and it won't again if a womens team does enter

I agree with Marsh that in all likelihood they asked plenty of women and men to see what could be done to improve participation of both genders. Quite clearly they didn't ask BB :wink:

I hope it all works for them as up until now women haven't entered, so good on them for trying.

Archived