Check your seals!

Spotted in Waikawa Bay!

I think the old sunblock on the deck trick should make it slippery enough for them to slide off....

post-10449-141887159652.jpg

post-10449-141887159655.jpg

post-10449-141887159658.jpg

What a worry. I was walking along a wellington foreshore a couple of years ago, noticed a really bad deadthing smell and then within a few seconds of that a 'rock' the size of two rottweillers without legs got up and humped on down the beach (very fortunately).

Gave me a hell of a fright. Those boats will be a mess.

This happens locally in Auckland, in the Whau River, Te Atatu North.

D1 & D2 were keen rowers and trained every afternoon after school from West End Rowing Club.

The resident seal(s) were often on the transom of different launches. It was more a case of "We did knot sea the seal today" reports.

Don't know. I only went out on the water a few times in the support / coaching boat and was unable to question that seal's parentage. Further the seal could knot produce it's DOC passport to confirm identification., residency nor citizenship.

There's no point becomming a MAF inspector because out at the waveface, the marine residents are so unhelpful. Just have to go sailing again!!

Look to me like NZ fur seals (Arcticephalus forsteri).

The population is now on the increase after a huge dip in abundance caused by the sealing industry way back when it was fashionable to go clubbing.

They look all cute and friendly but generally get very grumpy if you get too close and smell like they've fallen out of Satan's bottom after a heavy session the night before.

Don't know. I only went out on the water a few times in the support / coaching boat and was unable to question that seal's parentage. Further the seal could knot produce it's DOC passport to confirm identification., residency nor citizenship.

:D

I'm not to clever on the species front myself .Apparently I can't tell the difference between a dog and a dolphin.( so they say)

I just figure if you call it hey flipper and it comes over, must be a dolphin.

I've seen seals in AKL too and growing up spent a lot of time at muriwai where they'd appear from time to time. They were all small so either a different type from those big furry ones down wgtn way,or juveniles.

Possibly juveniles scoping out expanded ranges or getting away from the big aggressive males during mating season.

As far as I know there's just the fur seal around the shores of mainland NZ.

They have been in Waikawa for several years now. A right pain. They have set up home along the Marina breakwater. When my boat was on a swing mooring there, if I was rowing out in the tender, I would often get a little company. In the evening when it gets dark, they come right up to you, which when you experience that for the first time scares the crap outta ya.

I don't know why Port Marl. or DOC don't try relocating them. They are going to damage some of those boats. They are heavy beasts. In Sanfrancisco, they have such a big issue with Seals, that boats have actually been sunk as the seals completely cover the boat.

At least its not like this :D

That's the new ISAF Paper Free Displacement checking procedure. Only 7000 Euros..... plus cleaning bill.

smell like they've fallen out of Satan's bottom after a heavy session the night before.

One would wonder how you'd know that but this one is just to scared to ask :lol:

During the 1970s a fur seal named Blossom took up residence at the Clyde Quay boatharbour.

Her fragrance and countenance were as described in the posts above and, if one had the bad luck of this fat beast choosing to bask on the hard outside one's boatshed then there was no hope of entry. She snarled and snapped when approached and the general supposition was that her bites would result in fatal septicimia.

One elderly member of Port Nick, while rowing out to his boat was suddenly surprised by Blossom's whiskery dial appearing over the dingy's transom. The last anyone ever saw of the old codger was his being bundled into an ambulance en route to the Porirua mental asylum. He never recovered.

smell like they've fallen out of Satan's bottom after a heavy session the night before.

One would wonder how you'd know that but this one is just to scared to ask :lol:

That's Easy. Grinna drinks with Satan (heavily) then has a wicked vindaloo at his favourite Indian "The burning poohole" (Stolen from Radio Hauraki) on the way home..

You're on to it Smithy! Me and Old Nick are great drinking buddies and after a session a stinking hot curry sounds like a fine idea. Of course, the next morning is a different story, but there ya go. :wink:

Actually, my old drinking buddy will be on his own this week as I'll be mid Pacific on Friday on my way to Fiji. I'll give him your number and he can pop around to your place instead Smithy. :twisted:

Archived