BOI Cruising Next Week - where to go?

benny14

Heading up to sunny Warkworth this weekend and then on to the BOI with the other half to introduce her to sailing for a few days. Have hired a yacht in Opua and are going to cruise the BOI. Any ideas on a couple of good spots? Good fishing spots also? Looks like it's going to be a nice easterly/south easterly...

Cheers!

Roberton Island is a great place to stop for lunch and a swim. Beautiful lagoon like clear water usually, lovely beach. popular spot. Should be ok in an Easterly, hopefully not too many punters out there just yet.

I did a wee article about my favourite spots in the BOI last year for the OCC mag. They're mostly close-in spots, nad focused on 'doing stuff' rather than being anchorages as such, but it might help. You can get it online here:

http://opuacruisingclub.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/1111_TellTales_online.pdf

There are countless other good spots too... How far do you want to sail? I guess with newbies on board you probably wouldn't want to go too far? Opito Bay (just follow the land east from Tapeka Point and you'll find it - big flash house and a boathouse can be easily seen on land, just watch out for the mooring in the middle of the bay) would be good in a S/W breeze.

East to SE try the W side of Urupukapuka. Paradise Bay is my fave, but depending on draft you can get into Otehei Bay where there's a cafe/bar type thing. You could also hook round into the gap between the north side of Urupuk and Waewetoria Island which is usually much quieter and a nice sandy swimming spot.

If it goes north, I love Awaawaroa Bay on Motorua. Or there's always Assassination Cove which is pretty sheltered in most conditions.

Snapper fishing is pretty easy in all of those bays - just do it at dawn and dusk and you should be able to get a feed.

If you've got kids I guess you'll be up early anyway, but just so you know, the bays on Roberton, Motorua, Urupuk etc all suffer from wake from the dolphin and pleasure boats in the morning as they do their rally-circuit around them, but shouldn't be a problem if you're not too worried about a lie-in.

Awesome, thanks...

No kids, just me and the other half... Too young for that!!

If we see you around Ogre we'll get some photos for you :D

We've just got a little Tasman 20 for a few days so should be able to get pretty much anywhere... Will only be sailing if the weather is kind though! Don't want to put her indoors off on her first time out... Just need to hope the weather stays as it's looking at the moment!

Definitely head up to the Stone Store. In a Tassie 20 that wont be a problem. Between that, and Russell, and Roberton Island, you will probably will have had a peak at some of the best, and most historically significant places, in the BOI.

Looks like westerly/south westerly for the next few days so should be quite nice... Weather hopefully will hold out until Thursday...

Are you still hanging around Ogre? Think we'll head out to Urupuka ways tomorrow...

Archived