Auckland to Bluff

chic014

The current proposal seems a bit optimistic.

Dunedin to Auckland via the east coast.

Hobart to Dunedin as a non-competitive section to give potential Volvo entrants/ crew a taste of the Southern Ocean, as the VOR seems to be trying to attract newer crew.

The few (if they get any Northern Hemisphere) yachts can be shipped from Auckland.

Remember it's been 18 months in the preparation already, and another 18 months of intensive promotion away from starting. Personally I don't think they'll have that much trouble getting 30 starters for the first race. Will be interesting to see what the cost of entry is though, as they say they want it to be affordable to encourage 'weekend warriors' to take part. Anyone know what the Sydney Hobart costs? And the SSANZ RNZ, for comparison?

Remember it's been 18 months in the preparation already, and another 18 months of intensive promotion away from starting. Personally I don't think they'll have that much trouble getting 30 starters for the first race. Will be interesting to see what the cost of entry is though, as they say they want it to be affordable to encourage 'weekend warriors' to take part. Anyone know what the Sydney Hobart costs? And the SSANZ RNZ, for comparison?

The entry fee will be the cheapest part of doing the race! Getting a weekend warriors boat up to safety category is the expensive part.

Known about this for some time now and it makes me worry when things like this are pushed from the top down and doesn't come from the yachties.

Will be very surprised if they get 30 boats

And it is cold down there in the southern ocean

The last offshore race that had more than 30 entries was the 2005 Auck Suva which was the 50th aniverary of the first.

As for cost of entry that's always the cheap part, don't know what s2h is but RNZ was $800 but the event cost a lot more than that to run.

Great Title for the race abbreviated ??? They did not pay a fortune to a advertising firm to come down with a name and logo for this.

Will be great for ASB . Think the non yachting public will be thinking people are referring to new branches opening in Auckland and down in the Bluff.

Get a new logo for starters and don't charge for entries for the first race. Pay the starters $20,000 to start to get the gun boats and allow multihulls to make sure the first race goes with bang.

So no weekend warriors, does this guys Harris not know that the weekend warrior is the same jewel in the crown to nz yachting that club rugby is to nz rugby, we are all weekend warriors when we race in nz particularly when compared to the semi and professional offshore racing that exists in Aussie and the rest of the world.

Why do we want the CYA anywhere near nz offshore sailing, it won’t be just this race that is not for the weekend warrior you can also kiss goodbye to Auckland/Fiji, the coastal, white island, RNI 2 handed etc if their operating manual is implemented in NZ

The Sydney Hobart is just another glorified coastal race as is the fastnet.

Auck Fiji/Noumea is one of the only true blue water races left on the planet, what could they do with a $440,000 seed fund.

The ‘biggest in New Zealand’...on what basis? It is already limited to 30 boats (they will be lucky to have 5) 1100nm south in what will be mostly heavy upwind or beautiful windless west coast days in Feb. The Syd/Hob is a 650nm sprint over new year leaving the owners with a month holiday to cruise their boats back to Sydney...so we have a two week race window to race the boats fully crewed to Bluff, where are the crews to get the boats home, and then these are the same crews that have to find more holidays for the Auck/Fiji

We have $440,000 of govt money being used to seed a professional boat race as very few weekend warriors will be able to afford the event let alone the logistics of the event, this smells of a reality TV show and Tim combining to promote the great town of Bluff, if they are serious about another offshore race to the calendar in Feb I can think of some other options... Auck to wellington return, Auck around the kings, Auck to Chattams etc might be more appealing to yachties.

We have $440,000 of govt money that they will say is going into yachting... actually going to an elite, professional yacht race that is being used to promote a private agenda and fund a marina base in Bluff harbour. why is YNZ promoting this?

Flame away

The entry fee will be the cheapest part of doing the race! Getting a weekend warriors boat up to safety category is the expensive part.

I wouldn't have thought so, particularly if it's a similar safety spec to that already required by CC, RNI, RNZ... etc. My boat is already essentially in Cat 1/2 having just been offshore, but the race fee would be a big yey/nay point for me.

So my question is then how many weekend warrior boats currently have YNZ Cat 2? Since Cat 1 reverts to Cat 2 as soon as you have completed the event it was issued for, or arrived at your first destination. It is a step up in gear and inspections required from doing the Coastal Classic to doing an event like this or RNZ, RNI or the Central Triangle.

Funny this guy has rung me 2 or three times over the last couple of years. I always told him he was going the wrong way.

This is a quote from Sail world and I think it sums it up......

"Additionally the race extends into some of the most inhospitable waters in the world, and going the wrong way into the prevailing winds, off a lee shore offering little in the way of shelter.

To say the race is a challenge is an understatement."

I got an invitation some time late Monday to the Tuesday anouncement, but have never shown any interest and didnt go. I guess that if there was a truly quality international fleet assembled we would look at it but without that it is the wrong direction, at a busy time of year, frankly I doubt it will ever happen.

As for the $440k of Tax payer money, if true it is an absolute outrage. Why would a massive amout of money like that be made available to an unknown race to an unknown promoter?

But Bull, you'll need the 440k to pay all the directors fees, H&S companies, etc etc etc that they want involved! Reckon we need to resurrect your little idea of a year or two back to show em how to run a race on a 'real' budget!

Still - I do hope that this is a success for YNZ and agree that CYCA are not needed.

One of the good thiings about racing to Noumea or Fiji is that you finish in Noumea or Fiji. Each day things get warmer on the trip up. Great fun.

But 1100miles, a good chance of bad weather, and getting colder and colder...

Not to mention finishing in BLUFF? Really?

Who actullally wants to do that?

Just read this in YNZ's briefings:

Yachting New Zealand Chief Executive David Abercrombie has this to say; “I believe that the A2B represents an exciting opportunity for New Zealand to attract a fleet of national and international yachts, to capture greater profile for keelboat racing in New Zealand, and also to showcase the race start and finish ports.”

So either a) there's no multis in the race, or B) YNZ doesn't care about multis. Sorry Bull, I may have spoken to soon in awarding you line honours!

Clipper.

Have you ever sailed to Bluff.

I have - - sailed 12 knot breeze spinnaker run from top south island to Mid Fiord Sounds. Sounds to Bluff reached with a westerly. They are on the West Coast in case you did not realize.

It was so hot wore only jock strap and sea mini boots.

Clipper.

Have you ever sailed to Bluff.

Of course not, why would I want to?

I have - - sailed 12 knot breeze spinnaker run from top south island to Mid Fiord Sounds. Sounds to Bluff reached with a westerly. They are on the West Coast in case you did not realize.

Your a f&^#(n legend Phil.

Thanks for clarifying, I had no idea where the Fiord Sounds were.

I have sailed from Wellington to Fiordland (which is also on the West Coast in case you did not realise) over a new years. It was quite rough, and not the most fun I've had.

You must have been lucky Oceancruiser. Some cruisers waiting in Nelson this year for a weather window to go down gave up altogether. We went down the east coast in Feb to Stewart Island and it definitely wasn't hot.

Why go to Bluff? This sounds to me also like this has come from the top down rather than the bottom up. Where are they going to put the yachts, in the tug harbor? Surely Auckland to Wellington would make more sense. Or support for races that are already popular like Auckland-Noumea.

Archived