Auckland to Bluff

chic014

The ORMA60's were in constant change season to season with everyone trying to squeeze out a little more speed. Some they cut the whole of the main hull down in one season and replaced it with an upgraded shape for better efficiency.

Accordingly a vessel at any stage or age is completely different from the year it was first built.

01-2005

Designers web site:

"This winter, there were some major modifications made to the ORMA 60 trimarans to get them ready for the 2005 season."

GEANT "New main hull under body to improve its versatility for offshore / inshore races, the existing main hull is actually more suited for offshore sailing."

"Centreboard with a trim tab added to improve the performance upwind"

TVS has two escape hatches already in the main hull

They are supposed to have three counting companion way hatch.

Quote from a well known designer Richard Woods.

ORMA 60 Class in Trouble?

"multihull crossbeams do break eg Groupama 3 is a better example, and it was a rapid failure, not gradual... do you know if they identified the reason for the 'shearing' of the beams/hull?

I'm sure there are more trimarans especially, which have had beam problems of one kind or another. When I think of it, Hervé Cleris when he was skipper for Prince de Bretagne (2009?) had a hull drop off of his new Nigel Irens design, and wasn't Yves Blevec making desperate patches on his main beam in his last Route du Rhum?

Lots of multihull crossbeams have broken over the years, even when they were designed to the predicted loads, and deciding what those are is the real crux of the problem. "

What has this got to do with the A2B Race? They have an ORMA 60 entered and it has been suggested TVS will enter as well. The same Club has TVS entered in the Sail Fiji race. If TVS has a major failure it will put the race and other races to the SI & tropics in jeopardy for Multihulls.

I certainly hope they don't have a major failure and resulting loss of life.

TVS has two escape hatches already in the main hull

They are supposed to have three counting companion way hatch.

They Do.... a 5 second web search would have shown that.

Port side: Just behind the "e" in vodafone

http://petertasker.photoshelter.com/gal ... syfnEeJqeA

Starboard side: Just behind the Vodafone logo.

http://www.sail-world.com/photos_2011_2 ... ng_Std.jpg

http://line7.co.nz/marine/files/2012/05 ... ponsor.jpg

Oh and before you say it... they even have a companionway

http://yachtyakka.co.nz/wp/wp-content/u ... 00x375.jpg

Because it appears you are attacking TVS - you have pretty much stated that the vessel cannot comply with the Cat reqs, and have failed as you are ignorant about the current state of the vessel.

Perhaps if you asked questions rather than appearing to criticize you may get a better response.

Apologies to everyone for the thread drift.

Squid I would totally understand if this thread was deleted.

I have considered locking it, I have tried to split it to keep it on topic, I'm leaving in a couple of days and will probably suspend OC till I return as I did at Xmas.

Lately I've been having fun trying to edit his posts to make them readable (I sometimes wonder if he is using one of those little keypad thingies and hence all the typos), it's kinda like doing a latin translations.

I've been having fun trying to edit his posts to make them readable (I sometimes wonder if he is using one of those little keypad thingies and hence all the typos), it's kinda like doing a latin translations.

He has his discombobulator set to maximum at the moment.

Because it appears you are attacking TVS - you have pretty much stated that the vessel cannot comply with the Cat reqs, and have failed as you are ignorant about the current state of the vessel.

Perhaps if you asked questions rather than appearing to criticize you may get a better response.

Apologies to everyone for the thread drift.

Squid I would totally understand if this thread was deleted.

I am asking questions.

Team Australia is from the same designers and the same design as TVS the Troubled ORMA 60's class.

which have major problems in heavy and storm sailing conditions.

There has just been another Multihull failure although a Catamaran.

If either TVS or Team Australia have a major failure or loss of life racing within NZ especialy in the A2B race in it,s inaugural race

or from NZ waters imagine what that would do to Multihull vessel requirements and the A2B race and all other multihull races within the control off YNZ .

The new safety regs also have quite clear requirements re floatation heights regarding the escape hatches when the vessel is inverted and floatation material / positions and amounts to acheive successful dry escape not wet submerged escape and the Cat class that is to be imposed in certain water tempatures.

Only x rays of the beams would determine the state the vessel is in, so how can you say I'm ignorant.

It would appear you and others rush in at any oportunity and attack me.

Please show me where I have criticize. I have used quotation marks in the posts.

OC.

For the record, I am no longer reading this thread because of the resultant thread drift and repeat points being made. It's a shame because I was interested in the thread initially. I thought I would comment so that there was some visibility of the impact of thread hijacking, drift, trolling etc. I am sure I am not the only one shaking my head in frustration.

I've been having fun trying to edit his posts to make them readable (I sometimes wonder if he is using one of those little keypad thingies and hence all the typos), it's kinda like doing a latin translations.

He has his discombobulator set to maximum at the moment.

"Discombobulator only works on meshes and, at that, only on quadrilateral faces. Triangles will simply be left alone so you can discombobulate a mesh that has triangles, but only the Quadrilateral faces will be discombobulated. At this point, materials aren't supported so a discombobulated mesh will not retain materials. So make sure to add materials last. In addition, a discombobulated mesh will always be moved to or created in layer 11. I know these limitations can get annoying, but bear with it."

Archived