Wet weather gear

This has probably come up before but what is good value wet weather gear...do you need to go to Gortex to get good performance. Can anyone comment on the Musto MPX range...is it correct that the Musto gear sold in NZ is made in NZ?

I've asked the same question about the Zhik Isotac gear. Seems to me that the Musto gore tex range, although excellent, is massively expensive. The other brand I'm looking at is the Helly Hansen Ocean range.

If you are racing round the cans, get something mid range and count on replacing it every couple of years if you are racing weekly or more, because it gets thrashed pretty quickly. If you are offshore or on the rail for hours on end, get the best you can afford, I reckon.

Musto gear is not made in NZ - or at least my HPX offshore wasn't (either set). The first I got three years ago, was made in China (I think), and after two years was replaced as it leaked, was coming apart, and didn't keep me dry. Second set was made in Eastern Europe (Poland possibly - don't have the gear here to check), and after a year, is also not keeping me dry anymore. What's worse, is that I don't actually wear it that much - generally the longer races and the odd races in Winter where it is really bucketing down.

I followed the instructions for care with the first set; with the second, I called and asked exactly what to do and followed this, and still no joy. For something that retails at $3,500, I'm disappointed. Especially given the skipper's 5 year old set of HPX keeps him dry all the way to Fiji.

This thread's reminded me to give them a call and see what they say - ta :)

my first set of HPX lasted a whole lot less time than I hoped for. I vowed never to buy another set. I did end up with a second set of trousers as I got them for $400, but again, would never fork out for HPX again. Great for a season or 2, and esy to trash around the harbour. I reccomend cheap stuff for harbour racing, get some expeinsive stuff for the offshore/coastal stuff.

I race in an aigle dinghy smock around the harbour, it is fanstastic, and highly reccomend it.

My Musto didn't stay that waterproof that long. I coated it with a scotchguard like stuff and it's now better than new. Otherwise it's made OK and knot fallen to bits.

I tend to use Kaiwaka gear more. Build for the commercial fishos and farmers so they concentrate more on function than the yachting gear which seems to have a strong leaning to 'fashion' in it's design and construction.

And Kaiwaka is NZ made, better made and a shite load cheaper. It just doesn't stack up that high in the 'who looks the prettiest' marina pageant.

I'm with KM, I used the Kaiwaka gear loads when I was at sea as a professional. It was the best value for money, and hey when you are 500 NM off shore who cares how you look when you are warm and dry. for round the cans it is wetsuit for me, seems that anything you buy to keep you warm and dry gets wrecked real quick and costs loads, so my theroy is if you are going to get wet you may as well at least stay warm, and Titanium wetsuit is the answer, either that you go buy one of those cheap yellow things from the Red Shed

I have a new set of Gill OS2 gear supplied by Gill UK to replace an earlier set of OS2 gear. The original set started to noticeably fail after 18 month, I had made allowances for wet sleeves etc. prior to that. As it is mainly used in the summer months it actually didn't get much heavy use. After this last summer, being exposed to only one reasonably wet period the legs and arms were soaking, very little waterproofing left.

I rang the NZ agents head office and was politely told to not expect more, they said this was par for the course for all wet weather gear available in NZ. After some thought I contacted Gill Australia (I didn't know where Gill were based) and was told although they thought it should last better than that any recourse was through the NZ importer. More pondering and after finding out that Gill was a UK firm I forwarded the existing email communications with NZ and Aus plus the history of use to Gill UK. Their response was so far different to the detached (tough) one I received from the local agent, Gill UK. apologized on their behalf and have replaced the complete suit with the latest version of the OS2 range. A manufacturer who stands by their product, fantastic! I will be following their guide on looking after this new suit as best I can although the suggestion to rinse with fresh water after every use is not exactly practical, though most of the "wet" is rain anyway. I will promote Gill Gear from now on as they listened and responded, can only hope that the NZ importer does the same in the future if others have similar complaints.

ps. original suit made in China, new one made in Veitnam.

Make sure you get a fly / 2 way zip( if its appropriate for your gender) and check out the hood on the jacket. I bought some HH gear a few years ago and you have to wear a cap with it to keep the hood off your face.PIA.

There are two kinds of ww gear

1,the kind that leaks

2, the kind thats about to leak

I was going to just get Kaiwaka gear but Line 7 decided to have a closing down sale so got a set of offshore for 700 notes about a year ago and as yet it's still a 2,

I was of that mindset also D until I got a couple of these a few years back.

Welded seams and I'd say it would have to fall apart before it leaked. I keep a couple on the boat for those who turn up gear free or get cold, they have a very cosy fluffy lining. Note the tail bit, that is magnificent in it's effectiveness. I've been through some serious wet using one of these only and stayed dry as, drier than my Musto for sure and a motherload warmer. i got the short sleeve version to keep the pits warm, works 100%. From memory I think $60 odd each.

I also have some of their other gear and can say it's magnificently well made and I'd put money on it the Kaiwaka will be going long after my Musto has been binned. Made in Kaiwaka, hence the name. I'm told they are Brethrens but don't know for sure so if you go to the factory shop don't use the words tits and bums or maybe even 'National Party' :)

post-646-141887160086.jpg

They used to be bretherens, but now just christians.

The new os2 gear has the 2 way zip, always frustrating having to get undressed to have a pee.

I wonder about the technology re marine wet weather gear, motorcycle w.w. stuff generally costs less than marine w.w. clothes, lasts much much longer and copes with 100 + kmh winds and rain on a regular basis.

BMW w.w. gear costs lots but I know of them replacing a 15 year old suit damaged in a crash.

I use my gear around the cans in Welly sitting at or near the pointy end, so it gets a good test on a regular basis. Worn pretty much every weekend.

The last set of pants were Musto coastal and lasted about 18 mths before they basically did nothing to keep water out.

The pair i'm using now are the Gill one below the OS2. The price is about the same and they are still going pretty strong after 2-3 seasons.

They got a mighty rip in the arse wear patch the 2nd time I wore them that still doesn't leak, and the deck antiskid has worn the rest of the wear patches to a smooth soft texture.

They come a bit higher up under the arms and have fluffy pockets.

I take no notice of the washing instructions and they can basically stand up on their own when dry from the ingrained salt.

After 8 hours sitting on the rail to the Brothers and back I was wet, but took a few greenies that knocked me down the rail, so most of the water went up the inside back of the jacket and down ,ewww!

I'm thinking about getting a pair of OS2's to keep for longer races, but would give the Gill stuff the thumbs up.

Shame they are Pom though. :)

Christians don't exist.

Most gear has 2 way zips don't they???

correct

open and close :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Oh just zip it will you smarty pants.

Sorry, paint fumes are goooooood :lol:

PS. D, I maybe able to score 2 dead winches. 1 + 2 may equal 1 all going well. Stand by while I suss what they died from.

This is all rather depressing stuff about the quality of purpose built marine gear. I know you have to keep Gortex clean...maybe thats why you guys are having problems. I am still waiting to hear any good things about the Musto MPX gear. Is it really that bad?

If its all crappy I may as well try and re waterproof my 15 year old Henri Lloyd gear...or buy a good gortex mountain jacket.

the best wet weather gear i ever had was an old set of line 7.Vynal smock came down to just above knees with a couple of pockets.

A pair of shorts underneath and elastc topped long pants,great.

I've almost made my choice for this season. HH Ocean range. Same stuff as VOR gear, so must be pretty good and for under $1k for the set. Free delivery from UK as well :clap: :clap:

post-10517-141887160148.jpg

There are also a lot of well made gear available for contracting, that stands up very well to hard use, and is also breathable. What's more, the bright reflective colour means you are seen if you happen to go in the drink. Plus, this stuff is so cheap, it makes you ask the question why other gear is so expensive.

For instance...(and there are more than just these)

http://www.nalder.co.nz/?gclid=CP3FitP1 ... pAodVjBgmw

http://www.armoursafety.co.nz/shop/Hi+V ... ncoat.html

http://www.montys.co.nz/promotional-saf ... t-vj4n.php

http://www.safetysource.co.nz/protectiv ... o-advanced

Archived