Wet weather gear

Tried on some Aigle seaboots this afternoon, mmm toasty for winter racing in Welly!!

Unfortunately the price is a little eye watering, but again the cheaper ones just fall apart way too fast for my liking.

The Dubarry ones have lifetime warranty apparently, but not sure what that means.

My current Gill ones look like they have leprosy with all the rubber falling off them in chunks.

If i get 4 seasons from the Aigle ones i'm ahead on average to the $100 versions.

There was some rum fueled talk of some leather Puma ones being available that I need to chase down.

I think neoprene dive boots make the best seaboots.The feet do sweat but that is because they are warm.I hate cold feet.

Speaking of neoprene the boots ronstan put out last year for $129 look like neoprene but are waterproof, keep feet warm and can be worn with the tops turned down.

For $50 3 years ago the white bata boots from nz safety are hard to beat, definitely keep your feet warm and dry, give good toe protection if a little heavier than seaboots and a bit slippy when things get really wet. They're still going strong.

Boat Bits in Takapuna have good buys from time to time on end of line gear. The Aigle stuff is really good and its worth considering a smock with good pockets instead of jacket if you don't want the hassle of zips.

For ladies Gill were making and I think Aigle still make trou with side zips so you don't actually have to take off pfd, jacket, trou to use the loo.

The Gills I bought 3 years ago have kept me dry through many drenchings on the bow and are still waterproof.

SHARKSKIN!! I got one three weeks ago ($240 ish from Dive Centre, so certainly not that cheap but..). It is a longsleeve thing, that is 100% windproof, and has an inner fleece/thermal lining (that is quick dry, in 2 minutes and its dry). Got it primarily to wear whilst kitesurfing/instructing under a wetsuit, but the difference is huge. Before, after a 2.5 hr lesson in a 20kt SW'er, in waist deep ice sorry water ya would be keen to head home rather sharpish. Now i head back out for another couple of hours and go for a kite myself. Also instead of the wetsuit being last to go on (by product of it being permanantly wet..) the sharkskin goes on as soon as im out of the car.

It will be the new addition under the old dinghy spray jacket coupled with board shorts, and will be inforce this sunday with the UpTo26ers!

I wore a set of Aigle wet weather gear on my recent trip to Fiji. The first 3 days gave plenty of opportunity to test out the waterproofness, etc. Have to say the jacket was superb! The pants were good, nothing special really ... just good pants, but the jacket was great!

The hood was well designed - I normally hate hoods on jackets, they flop about and get in the way and are just a PITA, but this one was really good. The removable fleece handwarmer bits in the pockets worked really well, it has its own cap retainer cord, pockets for dry stuff inside the jacket, pockets for other stuff that doesn't mind getting wet outside the jacket, pit zips for when it warms up, good storm collar, excellent fit and finish.

Previous experience has been with Line 7 offshore gear and Musto gear. Have to say the Aigle stuff beat it hands down.

Very happy with Aigle wet weather gear. Can't comment on its longevity yet.

I wore a set of Aigle wet weather gear on my recent trip to Fiji. The first 3 days gave plenty of opportunity to test out the waterproofness, etc. Have to say the jacket was superb! The pants were good, nothing special really ... just good pants, but the jacket was great!

The hood was well designed - I normally hate hoods on jackets, they flop about and get in the way and are just a PITA, but this one was really good. The removable fleece handwarmer bits in the pockets worked really well, it has its own cap retainer cord, pockets for dry stuff inside the jacket, pockets for other stuff that doesn't mind getting wet outside the jacket, pit zips for when it warms up, good storm collar, excellent fit and finish.

Previous experience has been with Line 7 offshore gear and Musto gear. Have to say the Aigle stuff beat it hands down.

Very happy with Aigle wet weather gear. Can't comment on its longevity yet.

Thanks Grinna. Recomendations like this from the "Coal face" are invaluable. I will be in the market for some new offshore wet weather gear in the next 6 months to replace 25 year old Musto stuff. I have always used Aigle boots dinghy sailing, and have an Aigle casual jacket. Both first class, so I will have a good look at their offshore stuff. Where did you get yours??

I actually got mine from a dead friend. I borrowed the gear with the prospect of buying it if I liked it.

I think he got the gear from the Gear Locker, but I'm not sure. I'll check and let you know.

Interestingly, the pants were women's "drop seat" pants. When its rough you're gonna be sitting down anyway (much safer and don't have to mop up afterwards :D ) so they were actually kinda useful.

I actually got mine from a dead friend.

I think he got the gear from the Gear Locker, but I'm not sure. I'll check and let you know

You can talk to the dead Grinna?

Don't suppose you want to ask my dad where he put the damn centerboard for the Frostbite do you? :wink:

You can talk to the Dead KM, it's when someone says they talk back is when I have little alarm bells ringing. But I have to say it's just plain freaky when his dead Friend goes and buys stuff from the gear locker.

I actually got mine from a dead friend.

I think he got the gear from the Gear Locker, but I'm not sure. I'll check and let you know

You can talk to the dead Grinna?

Don't suppose you want to ask my dad where he put the damn centerboard for the Frostbite do you? :wink:

He only sailed to Fiji. :roll: :roll:

OK, to clarify, my friend wasn't dead when he bought the gear, but he is dead now (hope he was dead before they toasted him). I've tried asking where he got it and he is steadfastly refusing to tell me (bastard!) but his partner tells me it came from the Gear Locker.

As far as frostbite centreboards go, I'm not sure I can help you. All I know is it wasn't in our lazarette. Found just about everything else in there though, including Jimmy Hoffa. Previous owner must have installed a crap accumulating device in there .... seems to be gone now though.

I'm guessing that as soon as you build a new centreboard, the old one will turn up. ;)

Archived