setting up trisail tracks

Romany

whats wrong with using your topping lift as a spare halyard? presuming its been replaced with a suitable spec rope/cordage? and the boom is lashed down with main.

Nothing . . . unless you have a thin low drag racing topping lift that only goes through a small shackled on dinghy block at masthead, like we have for harbour racing.

:think: :think: :think:

Have you tried drawing halyards in 60+ knots :?: :?: :?:

Failure rate is expodential even if you think of a halyard as a straight line :thumbdown:

Try contemplating a horizontal halyard flying horizontal from the masthead for a few days.

Great to have your questions and other considerations gforce.

The only dumb question is the one never voiced. :think:

There are different ways around most sailing related problems and with extra information some solutions are better than others or more economic. :thumbup:

I know I'm not a race boat! Island Time has;

Halyards - aft, Main and Topper as a spare, fwd, 2 genoa halyards and a kite halyard.

I did have a halyard problem in the solo tasman though - broke the kite halyard. Jambed in the sheave so much I could not move it. Took a day at the masthead, (eventually drill, tap and use a slide hammer to remove the sheave pin) to get it out.

Another kite halyard would have been good, as using the spare genoa halyard makes it chafe on the forestay...

I guess 2 of each would make sense if you are to modify the masthead....

And by the way (now you'll know I'm really a cruiser!!) this problem also made me fit fold up steps up to the masthead - much easier now.

absolutely nothing wrong with an external halyard, generally rig one in front of the spreaders and another behind smaller cable ties or electrical tape around cap shrouds to hold it out of the way, make sure you secure both parts of the halyard as you come down the rig, there if you need it pretty quick to whip off if ya don't

Archived