Single handed voyage around cape horn

B00B00

I met this crazy as Akaskan dude late last year. He came in looking for an old sail as he had blown out his current jib and was heading south.

After a bit more digging I learnt that he was heading right south and around the Horn. His boat was a pearson 32, a double ended, heavy displacement bath tub.

It had taken him 50 days to sail from Cairns to Auckland and he was ken to get away ASAP. At first I thought he was a bit of a nut case but he was actually pretty smart and had the boat setup very well. He did have other sails but was lacking the working or #3 type jib as he had blown it out a few times and was sick of fixing it.

I took him on the crew.org rum racing on the Cordite and he was just plain terrified the whole time, it took me a few days to work out why he was so scared but it turned out that he had never sailed with so many boats and was adamant that we were going to crash. Drinking beers and rum, sounds cranking and boats all around. Considering he had spent 50 days with out hardly seeing another boat, you could see why he was nervous. Pretty funny. Damon off the SR26 Motorboat gave him an old Dacron #2 genoa that had a reef point and fitted almost perfect so he was all set.

He left on about the 27-28th December bound for the Horn, no updates as yet on the blog but he is all good.

Here is a link to his Blog.

http://ajohnbankstrip.com/

And a link to some of the photos he took of the crew.org rum race and Auckland in general.

http://ajohnbankstrip.com/2012/12/21/au ... -of-sails/

Will be an interesting one to watch certainly a very unique trip and I hope he makes it.

Outstanding effort by the Alaskan, a man from another century when regulations, fear and PlayStation hadn't been invented. I look forward to following the blog.

Archived