Visit me for a chat if you are looking to ‘Live the Dream’?

liveaboardsailing

Please accept an invitation to visit me aboard my boat ‘Tropicbird’ anchored in Islington Bay Rangitoto Island.

I would like to share my experiences of living aboard full time. My current boat I have lived on everyday for the last four years. Prior to this I have lived on three other boats most of the time over a period of eight years. In total twelve years of living on boats and cruising, visiting twenty-three countries. I have always done my own maintenance and repairs having started as a boatbuilder forty years ago. Please feel free to visit me for a chat, anytime. :wave:

Fees are 35 dollars a day, 245 per week per person, this includes food eaten aboard, fuel , water and all those domestic items like toilet rolls, cooking, oil, cooking gas
Quote:

Fees are 35 dollars a day, 245 per week per person, this includes food eaten aboard, fuel , water and all those domestic items like toilet rolls, cooking, oil, cooking gas

$245 sure buys a lot of toilet rolls each week... :?

Quote:

A site for a tent, with cold shower and dunny very close by = $10 per night at a DOC site

1 packet of Weetbix, smallest - $3.69

1lt of milk - $2.48

1 x 6 pack of beer - $12.99

1 roll of dunny paper - $2.25 (3 ply of course)

1 can of baked beans - $2.69

Total $34.10

And that's knot including fuel, water, cooking oil, any cooking stuff at all and so on, including the boat maintenance. Looking at it that way $245 a week ($35 a day) is pretty bloody cheap.

Actually looking at that cost above one does wonder how he can get away asking for so little. I'd say a hungry kiwi lad would cost rather than be a earner for the dude.

Quote:

A site for a tent, with cold shower and dunny very close by = $10 per night at a DOC site

1 packet of Weetbix, smallest - $3.69

1lt of milk - $2.48

1 x 6 pack of beer - $12.99

1 roll of dunny paper - $2.25 (3 ply of course)

1 can of baked beans - $2.69

Total $34.10

And that's knot including fuel, water, cooking oil, any cooking stuff at all and so on, including the boat maintenance. Looking at it that way $245 a week ($35 a day) is pretty bloody cheap.

Actually looking at that cost above one does wonder how he can get away asking for so little. I'd say a hungry kiwi lad would cost rather than be a earner for the dude.

Not quite typical daily consumption except maybe the beer (which isn't covered in the fare). Usual providoring rate for crew tend to hover around NZ$18/day ex NZ latest. And that is eating to a very high standard.

As a hungry kiwi lad I can pretty happily feed myself well for a fair bit less than $250 a week. So I guess it comes down to what value you place on the accommodation.

And really if he's charging for accommodation, then it's a charter business and should be advertised as such.

It's already been covered fairly extensively here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20726

Also interesting that the OP decided to re-register presumably so that people wouldn't immediately associate him with the above thread. Assume it's the same person as it's the same boat....

From his "Crew Agreement" - beware of exchange rates and the hidden "extra's"

Full details of the costs are available at liveaboardsailing.com

Current day rate = 35 dollars US a day

This includes meals prepared and eaten aboard and fuels

The shared extras are identified on the website but may include: passport entry fee, yacht entry fee, cruising permit fee, dinghy dock fee, marina fees, anchorage fees, water fees, etc.

Archived