Best sailing quotes ever...

"I'm scared of the day that people find out how little I know".

Mike McCormick. Kiwi (Tauranga) navigator on the top Admiral's cup yacht, when the Admiral's cup was the world's top yachting event (around 1980).

This is my favourite

"Adventure means risking something; and it is only when we are doing that that we know really what a splendid thing life is and how splendidly it can be lived... The man who dares never does; the man who never risks never wins. It is far better to venture and fail than to lie on the hearthrug like a sleepily purring cat. Only fools laugh at failure; wise men laugh at the lazy and the too-contented and at those who are so timid that they dare undertake nothing."

Alain Gerbault

Bowman: 'Which gate left or right?'

Helm: 'it'll be what it'll be'

Bowman to mastman: 'ok so at the bottom we're going to drop the kite in the piss!' ( loud enough for helm to hear)

'We're not crossing!'

'I know'

BANG!

'Whats he doing on the bow?!!!!'

'He's the bowman'

"The single most effective thing anyone can do to make their boat go faster is also one of the cheapest. Clean the bottom."

Brandan Hogg.

Building a Boat

Houses are but badly built boats so firmly aground that you cannot think of moving them. They are definitely inferior things, belonging to the vegetable not the animal world, rooted and stationary, incapable of gay transition. I admit, doubtfully, as exceptions, snail shells and caravans. The desire to build a house is the tired wish of a man content thenceforward with a single anchorage. The desire to build a boat is the desire of youth, unwilling yet to accept the idea of a final resting place.

It is for that reason, perhaps, that. When it comes, the desire to build a boat is one of those that cannot be resisted. It begins as a little cloud on the horizon. It ends by covering the whole sky, so that you can think of nothing else. You must build to regain your freedom. And always you comfort yourself with the thought that yours will be the perfect boat, the boat that you may search the harbours of the world for and not find.

By Jonathan Cape

" does anyone know where the love of god goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours"

The searchers all say they'd have made Whitefish Bay if they'd put fifteen more miles behind 'er.

:D

" i am sure it said 20 knots....."

" I am sure we were doing 20 knots ...."

"..and for the 20th time I was knot exagerating..."

"..in a field of 20 boats, knot comming last is a sign of improvement"

"..you dont need 20 knots, only two.."

"..20 knots, is close to 40 Kmh...oh sorry your American "

Archived