Great Barrier 1. Marshall Law 0

smithy09

OK. We were tootling around The top end of Blind Bay, the bay to the South of where the wharf is.

The chart shows it as shallow, but sand, and the beach is all sand. Probably doing around 2-3 knots, the sounder showing about 3 metres when Bang!! Looked down and there was a bloody boulder farm down there. What's more we were firmly wedged and the tide was going out... Just me and the kids, so it was up with the main (blowing and offshore, Easterly thank God) and lean us over to get off. This did the trick and as I bore away into deeper water under full main, BANG again at around 5-6 knots, maybe more.. Yup, an isolated rock further out. That one did the damage. As the boat rode over the rock, it tipped backwards a bit and the rudder caught the same rock. It was a big bang, and I was pretty worried, but apart from a few small movements in interior furniture, nothing major.

Mr. FNG came to the party and a very quick haul out at Pier 21 was arranged.. 5 hours work and she was back in the water to continue cruising this week.. It will have to come out for some more work, but that can be done when it is antifouled...

That will teach me to be complacent and day dream... Bugger...

Kind of like working for families for the rich. :wink: :wink:

I know you put the winky faces there, but why is there this incredibly persistant underlying belief that owning a yacht means you're "rich" (whatever that means)?? I would argue that owning a yacht tends to ensure that you become, or remain, poor. I can't imagine Smithy arguing with me at the moment either.

Not only is there this assumption of vast wealth due to boat ownership, but there is a negative connotation as well. Why do NZers get jealous when someone works hard and earns money, but if someone wins Lotto that's OK. Just a weird obsession with bringing everyone down into mediocrity to make our own inadequate lives feel more acceptable.

I know you put the winky faces there, but why is there this incredibly persistant underlying belief that owning a yacht means you're "rich" (whatever that means)?? I would argue that owning a yacht tends to ensure that you become, or remain, poor. I can't imagine Smithy arguing with me at the moment either.

Not only is there this assumption of vast wealth due to boat ownership, but there is a negative connotation as well. Why do NZers get jealous when someone works hard and earns money, but if someone wins Lotto that's OK. Just a weird obsession with bringing everyone down into mediocrity to make our own inadequate lives feel more acceptable.

I completely agree with you there Grinna. I think boating for the majority of us is a lifestyle choice and not a "Toy". Our boat takes up a very large portion of our earnings but we use it all the time. It also gives us insentive to work harder :thumbup:

I’m curious to know what people define as “rich”?. I hear the word bandied about by all and sundry, but there doesn’t seem to be a definition/number that determines an individual punter as being “rich”.

Personally I keep track of my net-worth on an irregular basis simply to ascertain whether I’m going forward or backward financially.

Soooo, what is this “rich” that I hear people speak of?

Net-worth $100K, $500K, $1M, $10M??

Curious minds want to know

I completely agree with you there Grinna. I think boating for the majority of us is a lifestyle choice and not a "Toy". Our boat takes up a very large portion of our earnings but we use it all the time. It also gives us insentive to work harder :thumbup:

+1

There was a discussion here earlier on how to define poor - we couldn't resolve that either.

But i read last week that if you have $2 in your pocket you are wealthire than 70% of the rest of the planet - wonder if that is true??

OK back on track. Hey Smithy, there's two sorts of yacht owners:

1. Those who have hit the bottom and admitted it.

2. Bull shitters

You'll be please to know that you are clearly a number 1 type! :lol:

Me, entering Port Hardy on D'Urville Island. Hit a Reef at 7.5kts and the bow pointed almost vertically into the sky. Dawn got thrown across the Pilothouse. We slid back down and off the Reef thankfully. It was not on the chart or GPS. We were in 70 to 80ft of water at the time, 100M at least off the shore and had transited that exact same route 5 times before.

Which one? Most memorable was after a his n hers two handed race when I had my then relatively new girlfriend on board. We had finished the race off Westhaven and were motoring back towards North head. I thought I'd shave a couple of hundred metres off and ducked in through the moored boats - and hit the sand bank at 7 knots. The boat stopped fairly quickly and she, who was sitting in the companionway, went flying into the cabin and slammed into the mast, belting her hip on the corner of the galley on the way through. I raced down stairs, pushed her out of the way, ripped up the floor boards to check - no damage done at all. Only then did I ask her if she was ok. She was not impressed!

Fortunately no damage at all as it sort of slid up onto the sand bank - only a slight removal of antifouling off the bottom of the bulb.

Me, entering Port Hardy on D'Urville Island. Hit a Reef at 7.5kts and the bow pointed almost vertically into the sky. Dawn got thrown across the Pilothouse. We slid back down and off the Reef thankfully. It was not on the chart or GPS. We were in 70 to 80ft of water at the time, 100M at least off the shore and had transited that exact same route 5 times before.

Dammit, I hate it when rocks move like that! :lol:

+2

OK back on track. Hey Smithy, there's two sorts of yacht owners:

1. Those who have hit the bottom and admitted it.

2. Bull shitters

You'll be please to know that you are clearly a number 1 type! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not to mention a red faced pilot of a container ship entering Auckland yesterday...

And we were only discussing last week how little "reef work" had turned up as a result of Christmas excusions.

At the time we were thinking of 14m launches at 20kn, and blaming it on the cost of diesel.

I hope its all ok on the Law.

yep, add my name to the attempts at moving terra firma...

Smithy, so I dont hit any more, where exactly do you hit? Blind Bay is one of my favourites, I gather its moving from the first bay with the wharf, to the next? There is some shitty dags these alright, have i got the right place?

Sorry to bring the pain up again!

Planted 100 footer on mudbank out of Lowestoft, England on the maiden sail with owner on board - had been asking the locals onboard if we were okay before and they all said no worries, no mud around here - yeah right moment. Was stuck for nearly 2 hours waiting for tide to come in and lift us off.

And we were only discussing last week how little "reef work" had turned up as a result of Christmas excusions.

At the time we were thinking of 14m launches at 20kn, and blaming it on the cost of diesel.

I hope its all ok on the Law.

Yeah all good thanks Jono. Back out cruising now!! :D :D :D

Archived