Great Barrier 1. Marshall Law 0

smithy09

And similarly, there are only two kinds of sailboats -

Those that have gone aground,

And those that have not as yet gone aground.

I too am guilty as charged . . but at least have not (yet) hit bottom in NZ waters . .

If ya gonna use it...use it right! :-P

2 types of divers: Those who piss in their wetsuits and those who lie about it! :thumbup:

And those who lie think they can get away with it, well only until they take it off! :lol: :lol:

If ya gonna use it...use it right! :-P

2 types of divers: Those who piss in their wetsuits and those who lie about it! :thumbup:

And those who lie think they can get away with it, well only until they take it off! :lol: :lol:

Seriously? People pee in their wetsuits? Yuk!!! :sick: I've had my wetsuit for 15 years and I've never pee'd in it nor have I lent it to anyone else. It has shrunk though...

yep, add my name to the attempts at moving terra firma...

Smithy, so I dont hit any more, where exactly do you hit? Blind Bay is one of my favourites, I gather its moving from the first bay with the wharf, to the next? There is some shitty dags these alright, have i got the right place?

Sorry to bring the pain up again!

Hi Floatsome. It was actually in what is called Okupu bay. Just on the GPS and co-ordinates are 36 degrees 15.768' South and 175 degrees 26.309' East. No rocks shown on GPS.. And I don't have my big Barrier chart on board to check....

How Bizzarre. Nothing on one Raymarine GPSs, and my Barrier chart is too small scale... The outside GPS shows a small square instead of the rock sign.. Anyway, according to the GPS track I was outside that in 2 metres of water.. (At low water springs) GPS induced grounding again?? Also there is another, bigger rock outside the first one..... I'll figure out how to download the track one day..

Thanks Hamish. Yup, might have been there, then hit the other bunch just to the west as I bore away.. The GPS shows me well outside this stuff, but I reckon it was out by 50 metres or so.. My bad whichever way you analyse it..

Hey Smithy as you can see, we've all done it so no sweat. I doubt that you will ever commit another GPS assisted grounding again.

Of interest, one year when I was at Fitzroy I was anchored in the bay at Kaikoura Island. I had 2 different chart plotting softwares installed on my pc. C Map & Nobletec. The Nobeltec had me almost exactly where I was and the C Map had me in the middle of Kaikoura island, yet they were getting their data from the same source. So GPS is great, but only as part of your navigation package, not all of it.

Happens with larger vessels - luckily the pilot got them sorted before it got really bad.

Look at the difference between the radar target and the GPS generated AIS target - data provided by vessel. There are a good number of vessels with errors in the AIS data.

Providing your chart shows a Rock. If GPS chart doesn't show a Rock, you don't tend to expect to have to go looking for one on the paper chart....... Until you have had such an experience of course, then you learn to have a quick squizz at your course before you travel it.

It does certainly highlight the fact that you can not rely on the GPS charts.

I nearly got caught the first time I entered Te Kouma on the Coromandel. My GPS did not show the Boulder bank, nor did the paper chart. Dawn was reading the Book on the area and then said, did you see the boulder bank? The what??? Gave me quite a fright to read about something that was not shown on a Paper chart.

So much good advice..

Anyone can make a mistake, (I know) and in the end dare I say it, with a monohull you are usually spared hitting the hull by the great lump of solid keel underneath.

I feel for you Smithy, and pleased that it was fixed so quickly and without fuss.

Archived