Great Barrier 1. Marshall Law 0

smithy09

seems about right.

The chart we have of this area (paper) shows 2.7m of water where khayyam's chart shows a rock, on the south end of the bay . . .

So which to believe?

Smithy - glad to hear you got it fixed quick with little disruption to your sailing schedule . . . hope you have no further GPS induced groundings.

We have touched the bottom several times - before we had a chart-plotter (on the Elliott). But most recently, on our way into the harbour, across the bar . . . long story. Short version: Couldn't find the safe water mark which serves as the outer marker for the bar - it had been moved again. Wind so strong and noisy that coastguard could not hear me for the whistling across the mic when I called for safe water marker co-ordinates. Full mainsail and hard on with outboard on full blast to give me extra push, I was doing about 14kts in about 22kts of wind, and the navigator had me crossing the bar on the shoals. Teach me for not double checking his handiwork, and not turning and trying again when unsure! The depth sounder read 1.2m, and the centreboard was down. Pretty hair raising stuff finding yourself surrounded by breaking waves and being dumped on the sand before lifted off and dumped again - and of course, with that momentum, the centreboard would not come up! Made it through in one piece, but severely shaken.

Thank goodness RO is a strong sea worthy boat . . . and it was only sand.

Always feel a bit shaken after unintentionally touching the hard stuff. . .

Ha ha AA - guess you lost brownie points being more concerned with the boats health than the girlfriends! (But I understand). :wink:

Summer Breeze, I hit the rocks in my 1020 at about 6.5 knots. When I hauled it out the keel was well dented (as was Smithy's) but no damage to the hull. That is 2 occasions that prove the keel spares the hull.

I'm not saying that you don't need to be concerned with hitting the bottom, but it is just one other thing to stop the hull from damage.

Try the same thing with a launch..

Wind so strong and noisy that coastguard could not hear me for the whistling across the mic when I called for safe water marker co-ordinates.

Those little plastic bags you get from the supermarket - normally put fruit or veges in - placed th Mic inside one - they damp down the wind noise, but take the fruiit or veges out first :thumbup:

A sock over the mike works but not so good when it is raining.

So much good advice..

Anyone can make a mistake, (I know) and in the end dare I say it, with a monohull you are usually spared hitting the hull by the great lump of solid keel underneath.

I feel for you Smithy, and pleased that it was fixed so quickly and without fuss.

Thanks John.. I already know most of the stuff people are spouting, and feel a complete dick for doing it.. Lulled into a false sense of security by charts showing shelving beaches, and seeing the beaches in front of me.. Still a dumbarse thing to do. I only had to look down....

[quote name="

Take a H28 ....10knts .

These two things in the same sentence' date=' this has to be pure fantasy, would never happen, impossible even if the very heavy piece of shite was going over Niagara Falls. [/quote]

heavy heavy piece of shite
??

Err Umm....In defence of H28 owners including myself..that's a tad disrespectful to refer to our beloved boats as a " piece of shite " dude ! :eh:

I dont know what you got but I doubt very much whether it has earned or will ever earn the highly respected 70 yr old reputation of the H28 :think:

Archived