RYA theory

banaari

Anybody out there done both the RYA Day Skipper and Coastal *theory* courses?

Am trying to ascertain if a reasonably motivated individual could, with a bit of application, skip the Day Skipper and just do the Coastal.

i.e. is there much duplication between the two; would I miss something valuable?

Hehehe: Have been directed into the UK for a 3-day conference in May. In Brighton. :(

So to salvage something worthwhile out of 54 hours in cattle class, have booked myself on a Day Skipper practical course... should constitute a very different experience :mrgreen:

Difficult one. I did both with Centaur Sailing in the UK (cheapest distance learning course I could find), and was keen to by-pass the DS and go straight to the CS/YM theory. They wouldn't let me, and I ended up doing one course after the other (which obviously costs twice as much as just doing one. :think: ) I was extremely disappointed to find that the CS/YM course notes were IDENTICAL to the DS course notes, save for the addition of the slightly more complex stuff that builds on the DS stuff.

That said, it was certainly easier to learn the basics first, and then build on them later with the more complex stuff. But with hindsight, I don't think it unreasonable that you could dive straight into the CS/YM course.

Banaari,

I'm based in the Uk and happy to forward them on to you from Centaur if you want to do that.

I've just started an online version with NavAtHome.com. They seem to ship globally (chart pack etc). Materials seem pretty good and DS is relatively straight-forward, but just wanted to ease into it rather than try and rush. Still learning a few things here and there though.

Cheers

Will

You sir are a gentleman :)

But it's all good, I contacted Centaur overnight and they're perfectly OK with NZ.

Considerable difference in price between "supported" and "unsupported" course; it's on the supported version you must have done DS first. Fair 'nuff, they expect to be answering CS/YM questions not the basic stuff.

I did unsupported and was perfectly OK, aside from being a little confused at times by some apparent mistakes in the mark-yourself questions... :roll:

You probably already know this, but you can also start on unsupported and upgrade to supported if you want.

I should think anyone with 1/2 a clue could jump straight past Dayskipper to coastal.

The Coastal and Ocean aren't anything like they used to be so aren't that tricky really. It wasn't that long ago a OYM meant seven 3 hour exams plus a couple of trips out on boats, 2 at night, plus Morse blocks and even semaphore. Knot a chart plotter in site and GPS was only taught as a sideline tool. The most complex machine we were allowed to use was a simple calculator..... or in my case one of those pens with 4 different colour options :lol:

or in my case one of those pens with 4 different colour options :lol:

Little wonder then you had to rely upon getting the second question of "date" right as you must of failed on the first and hardest question . . . .

Kname: _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Hi Baanari,

Yes you will comfortably be able to skip Day Skipper theory and effectively complete Coastal.

I went straight to Coastal, in the UK. I had done NZ Boatmaster, but I feel that is very rudimentary, if you have crashed a boat at least once, you won't learn much from Day Skipper.

If you already own your boat, know port from starboard, can get fromA to B without an AA street map and have more than one life jacket onboard, you will be fine.

PS, I did get a question wrong. Under what circumstances must sail give way to power?

I sighted the "might is right" rule, sail must give way to power if the power vessel is over 500t. Apparently this was wrong, I said I don't care, I'm still getting out of the way... In reality I think this is an Auckland Harbour by law, not part of the col regs.

Just been looking at the http://www.navathome.com website. Looks pretty good although I'm no expert. I enquired about them sending stuff overseas and they said it was not a problem. They also gave me a link to the Southern Hemisphere site http://www.navathome.com.au/ which looks exactly the same, although I suppose they would you use charts etc. more relevant to this half of the globe.

Maybe would be a good idea to have a look at the aussie navathome site.

I did... they want ~NZ$660 for the course, which for an independent learner like myself who doesn't want the phone/email backup, is simply extortionate.

how does that compare with other providers?

Hard to say, because it seems to be a unique product they're offering. The others are more traditional distance learning. As an example though Centaur want £220 for a fully supported course, i.e. ~NZ$415. Exchange rate has a bit to do with, admittedly. Nor is that the full story; with the Centaur courses there's about £20 worth of extras you have to acquire yourself, including the RYA training almanac.

One year on: Sat and passed the CSkipper/YMOffshore theory yesterday. Bloody nerve-wracking, especially the secondary-port stuff, UK-style... too many steps to potentially bugger up. Shouldn't have taken anything like a full year but I didn't realise just what work was going to do to me. Big props and a shameless plug for Centaur Sailing's correspondence course.

Archived