RYA theory

banaari

In practical terms, probably not very much.

My decision was more to do with personal preference - having done two RYA practical courses (one here, one in the UK) and the CBES VHF course, I elected to go with the RYA stuff. Certainly the training materials are superb; they do of course have vastly more resources to throw at it.

Looking at it, I see that CBES Coastal Skipper home study course is $500, versus the $280 or so I paid Centaur.

That was for an _unsupported_ course, I don't know if the CBES home study gives you a tutor to contact if you get stuck?

CBES do seem to have increased the range of stuff they're offering in the last year or so.

What are the benefits of the RYA courses over the NZ based CBE courses?

RYA courses are internationally recognised and arguably some of the most respected sail training courses in the world. If you ever plan to work on or charter boats outside of NZ, I'd strongly recommend RYA over CBES. If you just want to increase your knowledge and skills for NZ-based sailing, I'm sure CBES would give you everything you need.

I did my NZ Coastal Skippers, and my RYA Yachtmasters Theory (I think that's what it was) concurrently. I think we were a bit of a test run for CBES. I found the NZ curriculum a bit more relevant - especially studying in waters that you actually sail in - but the RYA extended me more.

Unfortunately after a few years of not much sailing I have forgotten most of it now!

Archived