SSANZ 2014 Round North Island

Jon

This is an email I have sent out to 60+ addresses that I have, some have come back and others I don't have so feel free to reply and show your interest.

Hello Sailors,

Well it's now less than 12 months to the next race.

So I'm sending out this email with a point of contact, a bit of information for you all and also a way to start a data base of interested people.

It may seem a long way off but if your considering this event then you need to start planning now.

Firstly the info;

The proposed start date is 9th February 2014 (to be confirmed)

The race will be YNZ Cat 2

There will be a qualifying passage requirement of at least 250nm for both skippers on the yacht two handed (its recommended that this is to be undertaken in a race or races)

Both skippers will need to have a current Advanced Sea Survival Certificate

More info to follow with the NOR.

Now can you please forward this to anyone that you think may be interested and can you delete the sentences that doesn't apply to you then send it back, as I will be endeavouring to make this a bimonthly update.

Thanks

Jon Henry

'Danaide'

Race Committee

SSANZ

henry.farm@xtra.co.nz

Please include your name and boat

1-.I'm waiting for entries to open so I can enter.

2-.I'm planning on entering just need to sort a few details.

3-.I'd like to do this just need a crew/boat.

4-.Can't see it happening this time.

5-.I've already done this enough times and I'm too old.

6-.I would like to be kept on the list.

Entry in for us on the R930 Pepe.

Anyone else thinking of taking a small boat or hotrod?

We hope to as a lead in for the adventure in the following month. But we won't be configured to give Pepe any grief unfortunately......... unless it's a drifter maybe.

Any other boats thinking what I'm thinking and for the same reason?

Why am I thinking 'red' right at the moment? :wink:

I've registered too, now just need a boat.

We are the Fast Company team for Simrads, no way are we going to be allowed to take Tonys boat RNI so we are on the hunt for something else. Have my eye on one or two.

Will be interesting to see what boats register their interest after the Central Triangle, as it is a qualifier for the RNI.

The Guarantee has registered its interest. I think a few more will be.

The Red 930 is lining up to do the tow handed Central Triangle. Just delivered boat to Welly. Not sure about RNI, see how I go in this one first.

Sounds insane to consider a single handed to the land of Oz in a 930, which is what ur talking about KM? but, who knows it might be possible. Anyone know if a 930 has been trans-tasman not strapped to the deck of a cargo ship??

Hi KM

Am not sure about RNI within a month of the other event, due to needing to be able to earn a living!!

So ru you still thinking about the Fitzroy Yachts Solo challenge? Does anyone know if its been done in a 930 before??

Am doing the Central Triangle shortly, so I'll have a good idea how the boat goes outside of Cans racing, Im a lot happier with the boat with its 2.4M keel though, stands up to its canvas really well now, and goes upwind beautifully.

Stu

Sounds insane to consider a single handed to the land of Oz in a 930, which is what ur talking about KM? but, who knows it might be possible. Anyone know if a 930 has been trans-tasman not strapped to the deck of a cargo ship??
Might be possible?????? It is possible. I can't understand your, and others, thinking it is only a 'might', there is no logic to those comments, none at all. 930's have well over 1000 years of combined history, much of which was in the hands of drunks, druggies and good old kiwi lad yobbery, what has that shown us? It's clearly shown us 'Nothing to see here, move along please'.

As far as I can find out no 930's have done the Tassie on their own keel.

Done a fair bit of offshore sailing, and think a 930 would take a bit of looking after in the really rough stuff, but not impossible to do.

The other issue is a similar issue to Guys like min-transat 6.5's that go trans atlantic. How to set-up these boats to self steer for most of the time essential for single handing, unless you can cope with 1hr sleep a day!!

IVe fitted an SPX pillot interfaced to Wind instuments & 6000 control head, with a below deck computer, and a remote flux-gate. I think but am not certian if you can add a Gyro to this system, it will improve things. IVe also fitted two big heavy duty batteries, and mounted a solar panel on the rear rail to keep things charged up. Can quickly remove panel if things get a bit too hairy wind/wave wise. Even so the Wind steer function is at best un-reliable, dont think you could set a Gennaker and go down below for a kip!! Mechanical wind vane might be an option, but would onyl work upwind, of the wind or on the plane, they are useless on boats like this.

What ru planning on using??

Done a fair bit of offshore sailing, and think a 930 would take a bit of looking after in the really rough stuff, but not impossible to do.
Mine can be steered by one finger even in 50kts if trimmed well. In really ruff stuff just reef hard and you'll be good to go. I currently have 3 tiller pilots but are sussing a more fixed option, still in a 50/50 place with that.

Yes flat running and it could be a steering issue so the simple answer is don't flat run if you want a snore off, poke her up 20 degrees before closing the eyelids.

Hi KM

Yup they are great boats, but if you let go the tiller you'll go round in circles. Ive been thru a lot of tiller pilots in my time and at best they are toys offshore. They can work if you get them to go on a trim tab of a mechanical wind vaner. I think it will be a case of you get what you pay for. You might get lucky and get light airs and no sea, and get away with using a tiller pilot. But if its rough for a few days the only way to get a break would be to heave to, which 930's are ok at and easy with a self tacker. But that wont do much for forward progress in a race. I'm hoping to keep my eyes peeled for a second hand decent NKE system, but suspect they are rare as hens teeth! New ones cost half the value of the boat!! Atleast if its rough in a two handed race you can pass the tiller to your mate!!

Stu

Archived