catyachty

TP52 Kia Kaha;

1955hrs

15nm North of Mercury Islands

Speeding along at 8kts

Top speed so far.... 9kts

Noodles getting served for dinner

Good night all

I got up early (8am) to check on the race. No news from the boats, the tracker says flopping around off Mayor Is, YC website has only one boat (KIa Kaha) theough the hole in the Wall. Not a race full of excitement and tales of derring do.

Get up the wrong side of the bed did we Phil?

Did I hear a volunteer to stay up during the night next year?

YC website has Rikki looking to be next to finish, but still a couple of hours away.

Nope Dave, I do more than my bit, having stayed up all night last 2 coastals finishing boats as well as providing the aerial coverage as well as the music and heaps more. f*ck I even donated 2 spot prizes to the Auckland regatta when the call came out at the last minute. It's called supporting your class/club.

I love the Tauranga race and the Tauranga people but lets face it, instead of coming on here and wondering why people don't enter their race they could do a lot more to promote it. The only pic of the start was the one I did. The club site has only one boat through the hole in the wall recorded yet even the tracker has the bulk of the fleet well past. There are heaps of Tauranga boats in the race and not one of them has posted an update on crew.org to say whats going on.

This is constructive criticism. Hope it's seen as that.

Oh and the last 2 posts on the club site are about Vodafone which dropped it's rig a week ago and a tracker system that nobody thought to make sure was on the lead boat. You can't build a race in a vacuum.

Heading for Waiheke with rum :-)

StephenC:

After 45 mins Ponsonby Scpow and Kia Kaha have made it ti the tank farm

Hope they have plenty of food on board.

Stephen, I can assure you the Ponsonby Scow was not racing! I think he was on the grid at the time of the start cleaning the boat and is on his way to Kawau today with his family :-)

StephenC:

After 45 mins Ponsonby Scpow and Kia Kaha have made it ti the tank farm

Hope they have plenty of food on board.

Stephen, I can assure you the Ponsonby Scow was not racing! I think he was on the grid at the time of the start cleaning the boat and is on his way to Kawau today with his family :-)

StephenC: I suspect you were looking at Rikki which has one less mast and a whole lot more carbon. Were you a witness in the Scott Watson trial by any chance?

From the Tauranga website

Good afternoon

Yippee, we finally have some more finishes and boy were they close. 30 second time difference between the next 3 finishes with the next two within 6 minutes.

Finishes, Squealer, Rikki, Urban Cowboy, Frenzy and Kaimai Express (in that order).

See the results for times.

Follow race progress times HERE

At this stage the Prize giving is tentatively scheduled for 2100 hours (9pm). And meals will be available at the yacht club from 1900 hours (7pm) . Yummy Food, see you here.

I'm at the Mount and there is a bunch of kites coming in from Mayor island. I'd say most will be finish in the next couple of hours.

I think force 11 might have just finished.

Hi Sundreamer,

thanks for your input. There are lots of improvements that can or could be made and you observations are valuable.

I helped with the organising of the event and if we do the race next year we must improve. I was hoping for an improved performance too. Something to work on.

During the race I didn't devote any time to sending texts and reports because of the demanding nature of light wind races, trying to get out of holes etc. - I found a couple of biggies. My crew was quite short on experience and so I couldn't add reports etc.

I agree the club website didn't have too much content and slow time updating - one problem was when we had to radio Coastguard (who send us the rounding times) there was a mayday silence (boat sinking at Kawau) and they were busy with that as well.

The predictwind tracker was great but hard to find the link for many people.

Thank you to all the entrants, organisers, helpers and followers, cheers Andy

Another challenging race.,Not much breeze but we were fortunate in that we didn't park. Plenty of passing lanes on the way down the Hole. A beautiful sunny day today with magnificently scenery. Just needed another 10 knots of breeze. Congratulations to Open Country. They cleaned up the bulk of the silverware including the two handed division. Brilliant result. Amazing range of prizes at the club and we got the mandatory bottle of rm on finishing and the volunteers looking after the berths at the marina were amazingly friendly. An iconic event and one that you should have on your calendar.

Duty Free

Finished at1842. Very little breeze all day. Almost ran out of ice.Prayed to the beer gods and got a bit of breeze to get to the finish.

Archived