SI Boat Builder ion Liquidation

wheels

That's how i read it as well.

What irks me is the Govt support Industries like farming, telco's (UFB) and even the ETNZ and All Blacks get while the marine industry slowly dies.

What lobbying does the boating industry do of the government ?

Yet today the industry is worth 100's million dollars more than is was.

It employs more than it ever did.

It exports more then it ever did.

And still brings to the world leading edge boats of all types, technologies and equipment.

Aren't we lucky the industry has evolved and adapted so it isn't living days long gone. Is it possible it's time some posters thought about following it's lead?

And still brings to the world leading edge boats of all types,

Except sailboats in the small to mid range for the local market - just saying.

NZ had a terrific industry building sailboats like the Lotus, Chico, Cavaliers, Lidgards, Robertson, Farr 1020's, 11.6's Ross, Whiting and a bunch that came later after I left the country.

They still are Squid. It is just that the industry is a little different today. It is an ever evolving and revolving industry and the Industry needs to take a lesson from that. At least in my opinion it does. It will continue to revolve again and evolve into something else. It is not doom a gloom. It is different is all.

knot me and Wheels, are you a supplier or involved in the industry?

I bet you are.

If we are or not, in what way does that change your view of our opinions? Seems your mind is already made up.

Guest Saturday Night Special

All these things are correct ,The fact was that in the 70/80's we were building some of the best GRP Boats in

the world they were well priced but as typical Kiwi's are we did not have a clue how to market our products overseas. Evidence of this is the workmanship of our GRP boats from this era (Fizz nasties ncluded)is on show not hidden behind a liner and these boats are not dumped in a desert carpark or abandoned in a marina they are still used today.The powers That be would have you believe that the only thing important is the superyacht industry but if you add up all the Fizz nasty exports I think most would be extremely surprised at the level of dollars generated for the ecconomy by this part of the industry . :thumbup:

To add, the changes we are seeing in the Industry are not just about Money. A lot of it is about the lack of time people have today. There is a lack of time for Family and Recreation, so we are seeing a trend to smaller, faster, easier to maintain boats, so as they can get out and spend some fun time with Family and Friends.

That is not to say that some larger flashier Sailboats are not being built. There are some quite large projects on the go at the moment. But for some reason, these projects don't seem to be "advertised" quite as much as they used to. I wonder (and I may be wrong) if it is more to do with the lack of dedicated Sailing Mags around today. Just a thought.

Valid - but a tiny % of what we used to produce.

Total valid Mr Ogre but then back in the day you had hair, milk came in glass bottles, being a MP wasn't a career choice, a fast car did 105mph, we built 23 fizz boats a year and the pet dog was a baby T Rex. Things change so whose to say that in 20 years time we aren't banging out yachts again. At the moment in this point in time the NZ marine market has evolved into a place it needs to be or it would be dead. Today it has a strong heart and a good pulse.

Also the yachts being build do exceed just the Weta and Farriers. What country has built more AC45's than NZ? None. What country has built more AC 72's than NZ? None. What country leads most awards in superboat world? NZ. And those few examples have provided many jobs, many technology gains, lots of free advertising for the NZ marine industry and they have all provided the Govt a lot of money they will have wasted on no hopers.... but ya can't have everything I suppose.

So you can be positive that it is in the state it's in even if you don't like some of what it produces or you can be negative because it isn't what it was 30 years ago.

Having been a boatbuilder for 30 years, the writing was on the wall in the mid-90's. There has been some excellent skill in this country, but the cost of premises and a very small local market, an increasing bargain basement 2nd hand market, combined with geographical isolation and a strengthening $NZ, vs efficient European (and now Chinese) builders, does not make it rocket science to work out that fine craftmanship is not quite enough. In saying that, many of my old apprentices are doing very well, providing they are prepared to be very mobile. As much as it is/was my trade, a Govt subsidy cannot cure an industry such as this that is facing inevitable change. Boatwork will survive in NZ, but moreso in the re-fit, re-build and re-paint arena for now.

The marine industry in NZ is about 20% of what it was pre global financial crisis.

Bit better than Aus which is about 15% of what it was.

Like it of hate it that's where it is.

If you don't believe it talk to the OEM suppliers like engine suppliers.

And enjoy the cheap shitbox imports!

:thumbup:

If you don't believe it talk to the OEM suppliers like engine suppliers.

And yet just one Alloy trailer boat builder is producing around 70 per month. That is just one. There are many more up around that figure this year. Last year it was dismal. A few months out from Christmas really picked up. Pretty much every yard selling trailer boats had their stock cleared out before Christmas. So the market is up in the small trailer boats both internally and externally.

It's like many things, the markets go up and down and evolve with time. Manufacturers have to evolve and adapt with it. Stick to just one niche market and chances are, that market will one day not exist.

We are talking cross purpose's here.

The Alloy Fizz boat market is still producing some volume, but down on Pre 2009.

The Yacht (those things with flappy white things... for Knotme and Wheels) market is a dog.

What is the big concern, from my laymans perspective, is this...

You/we have an organization that looks after the marine industry in NZ.

They seem to be happy promoting certain market sectors but have been left "wanting" when it come to the industry in thier own backyard (Yacht builders support)

Compared to other markets these "industry representatives" do not lobby Government for assistance.

Compared to brands like...

All Blacks (millions of $$$ for world cup)

Fonterra (subsidies, extensions to their Koyoto reductions, and farmer assistance + John Key selling thier product in Chile as we speak)

... Boat (white flappy sailing things) Builddng has been neglected by the people "in Charge"

If the superyacht market dried up would North sails or Southern Spars get a "favour" from Central Government?

To put this into perspective. There is one Marine Industry Body that put a proposal to Government (and they were not even desperate for funding and had millions of $$$$ onboard) and recieved $40,000,000.

This Organisation has been in business for 8 years (previouus to that they had another name and great record) and has not even reachhed its "MAIN KPI".... yet?

$40 miillion to these guys while "Rome Burns"

Yes, ETNZ AKA G Dalton lobbied the Government and won. And won based on a Pecieved "marketinng" image they would create for NZ. They did'nt have to win anything for that.

So, if Gratn Dalton can do it then why is he not running The Marine Industry in NZ (some would say he is... under the radar)

The question is. WHAT is the marine industry representatives doing? What is the Industry doing to!?

We are talking cross purpose's here.
No we aren't. You're wondering around a little.

No one is saying the yacht building section of the industry is in good shape, and I totally agree about that, for the 2nd time in this thread. But you can pick any industry and a small section of it to show doom n gloom or Ya bloody hooo if you so desire. That happens daily and is common practice by many but it still doesn't change the facts.

Making yet more beneficiaries and distorting the market by subsiding inefficiencies. Gezzz... that's a very brave thing to say out loud. Careful or you'll bring the wrath of the left down upon your head as what you are suggesting is only a transfer of wealth to rich pricks and we get told often that's worse than about everything.

The marine industry in NZ is about 20% of what it was pre global financial crisis.
I can't find anything nor have seen anything that would support that or even close. Yes it's is challenging for many at the moment but they are also a lot doing very well thank you. The MIA reckon some mob sussed and think the industry will get around a 8% average growth over the next 5 years. There are numbers showing a marked but knot huge decline in 09/10 but then after that they are picking up again nicely.

There is obviously a lot of boats being build most here don't know about, which wouldn't be a surprise.

Marine manufacturing represents 10% of New Zealand’s total manufacturing exports and, on average, every person working in marine manufacturing generates $66,235 per year towards the gross national product compared with an average $35,636 for a person working in the tourism sector
Peter Busfield, Executive director MIA in Spring 2012.

The bottom line is that the NZ boatbuilding industry is cyclic, and evolving. Like everything. It became very apparent in the mid 90's that to try to build anything under 50', other than some fizz boats, was a futile exercise in a monetary sense. A hangover sector persisted, largely riding on a (then) favourable NZ dollar. Franklins, Southern Ocean Marine, Hakes, etc etc. Larger builds started to draw in the workforce. However, these require considerable premises and equipment, and if a client falters, its death not glory. A steady import sector is placing European craft within reach of the middle class kiwi boatie. As much as these were berated initially, as a seasoned kiwi boatbuilder, I personally see the majority of these vessels as unbeatable bang for your buck. Where to from here ? Who cares, its all about supply and demand, and I for one dont want to see any dead horses being flogged. NZ boatbuilding has always been about passion. Profit has sometimes been a by-product.

How many new builds (under 50 foot yachts) are being built in NZ per year now?

Do we have a production Boatbuilder in NZ?

And yet just one Alloy trailer boat builder is producing around 70 per month.

so getting back to the original question? can you answer it or just change the subject?

SWELLs original post did not contain the word 'yacht'

I have a few Questions.

Is this the "Official" end of boatbuilding in NZ? (other than Superyaccht builders)

How many new builds (under 50 foot) are being built in NZ per year now?

Should the Boatbuilding industry, in NZ, declare a Drought and Claim some Government assistance?

:wtf: I'm just getting into boating as everyone seems to be getting out :wtf:

I looked at the price of a new build 35-40 footer but @$350-400k i decided you could get a very tidy 40 footer for well under half that.

so getting back to the original question? can you answer it or just change the subject?

Answer a nonsensible question? Well since when did we ever have "production Yacht building" in NZ?? We had some builders producing repetitive builds of the same design and model, but none have ever been "production line" builders of a anything in a mid range size.

How many new builds (under 50 foot yachts) are being built in NZ per year now?

And yet just one Alloy trailer boat builder is producing around 70 per month.

There was no Question in the original post!...

Wheels said....

Ian Franklin Boat Builders of CHCH and Waikawa has been put into Liquidation, owing just over $918,000. Most of it is owed to various finance companies, although over $236K is to unsecured debters.

Archived