re-sealing windows

rigger

Travellin Man

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:34 am Post subject: Window sealing

Who fixed the new windows in Jagged. Look good.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B00B00

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:40 pm

yep we just did it ourselves.

They are just stuck on using some good black stuff that maddock got. he had done it before so was the project manager.

After getting the old windows out and cleaning up the old silicon, we taped around the windows, hot glued little keepers onto the cabinside to keep the windows on place, knived around the new windows to cut the masking tape, pulled the tape off the bonding surface, put some 5x5mm black foam tape around the inside edge, put heaps of poo on the cabinside bonding area and then put the window on and cleaned up the edge.

It actually only took us an afternoon to put them on but almost a full day to remove all the old stuff.

It does look bloody good thou!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bwilly

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:00 pm

The windows do look real good. The whole boat is looking good.

I need to do the same job on Mercenary, BFC has the great idea of using those window lifters, sucker things, on the inside and pulling them together while they set?? sounds good to me so will give that a go.

good thinking using the hot glue for holders guys.

B00B00

Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:06 pm

they actually dont really need to be held in. as soon as it touches together its stuck pretty well. also the cabin sides have just enough angle to hold them in.

88Proof

Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:43 am

Yeah you don't want to pull them in, that will go bad on you. Key is to just push them on and let the poo do the holdng in. If your worried try putting a hand size lot of poo on a bit of board, stick your hand in it and see how sticky it is!!!

Oh and take some photo's of it as well cause we'll need something to rip you over.

Dow Corning 795 is the sh*t to use, they use it to stick hi-rise windows in buildings. DONT use Sika or you'll have to use a very expensive primer on the window. If you don't they will just fall off. There is a place on the shore that sells Dow Corning, we used about 3-4 tubes to do our windows. If you google it you'll find the place, they'll even courier it to you.

MrWolf

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:30 pm

We have some 795 to do our windows this weekend, cost $27 per sausage,

what is the clean up thinners that you used ?

88Proof

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:21 pm

Just use Meths, it's mint for cleaning up.

Make sure ya got loads of gloves and a big rubbish bag!!

If you think your gonna try and get some miles out of your gloves, forget it, as soon as they have any crap on them ditch them, you'll only spread it everywhere else!!!!

Also when your putting the Poo down, put loads down, then spatula it out so you can't see any white gaps. We didn't do this enough and you can see the odd white bit. Also when you bring the window up to the poo, push it on with a nice firm push, but don't give it loads as it will push the poo inside around the foam.

Good luck!

Quismiff

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:26 pm

$27 a sausage where did you go to get it?

MrWolf

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:02 am

Got it off Glue Guru, 600ml tubes(sausages).

to tell you the truth the advice that is on this thread lead to a fantastic job, I am rapt with the result (best windows ever).

the goop recommended is fantastic, boat is at Little Shioal Bay for all to see.

Thanks very much for the excellent advice.

I do have 3 unused tubes which i will sell for $23 each (we used 3 for our windows)

Quismiff

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:10 pm

that Dow Corning 795 is awesome stuff, we use it in most of our boats, unless otherwise spec'd.

but i think $27 a sausage is a bit steep Glasscorp in Albany are the agents for it, but aren't open Saturdays unfortunately...

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:00 pm

Good Tip. When getting an even effect around the edge use a cut potato to even out the goo. It doesn't stick and leaves you with a nice clean finish. No bull!!!!

88Proof

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:03 pm

Yeah I got mine from Glasscorp, still around $22 a tube though from memory.

Archived