Beale 9000 Sports

SloopJohnB

It was built by Russell Campbell in Nelson. He built 3 Beale boats, a 8m, 9m (was originally called KAOS then Esprit now predator) and a 12.somthing . He then built some Thompsons a 870 and 750s but had a fall out with Thomo and cut up the molds.

The Beale does go down the mine in big breeze, and is quite different to a 930 or 88. But not any worse than the newer Ross boats like higher ground etc. In one race when it was still "KAOS" it went down blew out the frac cute, and then the next time dropped the rig over the front. It is quicker than a 88 or 930 in the right hands but not by much, similar to a Elliott 9. It had some issue with the keel placement when new but Franklins sorted it out. The bulb was a funny diamond shape, might have been changed by now.

So the issue is that fine bowed, skinny waterline yachts go down the mine when pushed in a blow......even the bigger boats such as Ross 40s have this issue. Maybe thats because to be fast in the light you have issue in the heavy that requires good skills, crew work and a little luck...Isnt that just racing?

PS The original summerbreeze (me) is NOT SUMMERBREEZE (the johnny come lately)

Archived