NZ designed Mini 650 kitset and South pacific Mini circuit.

B00B00

Alright guys, We need to group together and make some plans.

I know this has already been taked about and dicussed at great length but who would seriously be keen to build a Mini and start a circuit around the south pacific and tasman.

Potentially there could be boats from the USA, Aus, New Caledonia and NZ all involved. There is also plenty of races like the solo Tasman, RNI and Auckland to Fiji/Noumea races that could be part of the circuit. This could eventually be our own version of the transat.

Dan Leech and Matt Stenchman have been working on a prototype Mini for NZ, built out of Ply with a stripped plank Cedar bottom and a canting keel, these boats will be easy to build and FAST!

Some of the concepts include a quick release keel setup for easy transporting and a full kitset build package.

We are looking at potentially building the first one to get things started.

Imagine 10 of these things on the start line for an offshore race or RNI!

Are there any other people that would consider building their own 650 (or getting one built) and competing. We need to know if something like this would have potential to grow and if so then the first boat can be used to set up moulds and cut files for kitset.

If there was interest for a few more boat to be built it would greatly reduce the cost for each boat for tooling, jigs, materials and designwork.

expressions of interest.

Mini_650_Render_4.jpg

Mini_650_Render_2.jpg

Mini_650_Render_1.jpg

BooBoo,

As discussed previously, the concept of the race cuircuit is a great one and we've certainly talked about if for long enough. Only problem at this stage is getting boats to the start line.

I'm very keen, but a terminally ill bank acocunt prevents me from jumping in. I'm making plans to get overseas and put some dosh in the boat account later in the year, but won't be in a position realistically for 3-4 years to be able ot particiapte.

The concept above, or the Dix option, certainly bring the costs down. Personally I think a bit a variety in the fleet keeps it interesting, and supports the concepts behind the protos on the European circuit. Getting a group together to build the initial batch should certainly help build momentum.

I'm very much in support, and if things are still going when I get back, I'm in.

One thought that's been on my mind for a while is possible alignment with Classe Mini for this circuit. They seem very keen to protect what they have, not necessariyl wanting to stop others getting in on the game but ensuring that the principles behind their class are preserved. The US based sailors seemed to get in with them by getting someone over there to be taught how to measure them and generallyengaging in daialogue with them. It built confidence from the French that they were legit and wanting to play by the rules. Has anyone else considered this aspect? Thoughts?

Let me know if there's anything that I can lend a hand to in the meantime as I'm very keen to support this.

Cheers

Will

BooBoo,

As discussed previously, the concept of the race cuircuit is a great one and we've certainly talked about if for long enough. Only problem at this stage is getting boats to the start line.

I'm very keen, but a terminally ill bank acocunt prevents me from jumping in. I'm making plans to get overseas and put some dosh in the boat account later in the year, but won't be in a position realistically for 3-4 years to be able ot particiapte.

The concept above, or the Dix option, certainly bring the costs down. Personally I think a bit a variety in the fleet keeps it interesting, and supports the concepts behind the protos on the European circuit. Getting a group together to build the initial batch should certainly help build momentum.

I'm very much in support, and if things are still going when I get back, I'm in.

One thought that's been on my mind for a while is possible alignment with Classe Mini for this circuit. They seem very keen to protect what they have, not necessariyl wanting to stop others getting in on the game but ensuring that the principles behind their class are preserved. The US based sailors seemed to get in with them by getting someone over there to be taught how to measure them and generallyengaging in daialogue with them. It built confidence from the French that they were legit and wanting to play by the rules. Has anyone else considered this aspect? Thoughts?

Let me know if there's anything that I can lend a hand to in the meantime as I'm very keen to support this.

Cheers

Will

Hi Will,

Glad to hear you are keen on this idea when time and money allow.

The plan was allway to build the boats to the Mini specs so anyone can take off and compete int he classe mini events in europe and/or the transat. I think it would help the resale out alot too.

An average mini sells for 40,000-60,000 euro and the cheapest is about 30,000 so im sure no one would loose any money.

Rough sails cost-

Mainsail $4-5k

Jib $1500

Gennaker $3-4k

Code zero/screecher $2500

Obviously there is a big difference between fabrics, the mini rules only allow polyester/mylar so dacron thru to pentex are the only options for class legal.

I know I'm being radical here - is the mini 6.5 is a good candidate for an unstayed stick?

Biggest question is would it be slower or faster?

It would mean some structural changes for mounting... but be easier to sail...

Would have thought that with all that sail area, including the genny, it would be a bit much for no stays. But, thinking of a recent thread, imagine the arguments you could have regarding the rig falling off to leeward.

Would have thought that with all that sail area, including the genny, it would be a bit much for no stays. But, thinking of a recent thread, imagine the arguments you could have regarding the rig falling off to leeward.

Been thinking about that too and wondering just how good the recent advancements have been. I'd even pictured diamonds - a stupid idea - because you might as well have stays... just seeing all that wire on the sail plan got me thinking... nah, it's better to go conventional...

Watching closely.

Damn, just spend money on some other plans, don't ya hate that. Might be a case of 1st most likely fleet wins me, lucky them? :lol: :lol:

Guest Nam Off

Going to ChCh tonight for a stag doo tomorrow night,yeha,catching up with Dan to go over some more bits,and sort some costings.....in between strippers on the cat walk and the groom to being attacked by 3 strippers,as his wife to be clearly stated no strip clubs! so what are the lads to do.......

Going to ChCh tonight for a stag doo tomorrow night,yeha,catching up with Dan to go over some more bits,and sort some costings.....in between strippers on the cat walk and the groom to being attacked by 3 strippers,as his wife to be clearly stated no strip clubs! so what are the lads to do.......

Went canyoning for my 'stag do' - it was a blast!

Guest need for speed

costs will limit most people!... sooooo...

What are the class rules for this class?

Could you take a thompson 650, ross 650? or a E5.9, or anything similar and lengthen / shorten / modify it and compete? (3 rules for class! - max length, Max sail area, min weight)

or could you set up a circuit around the pacific for existing boats 6.50 or say 7.80 metres or under, singlehanded?.

Would be cheaper for the same affect.

Mind you looking at those new 650's makes you drool!

Archived